Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EPG files test: Phase 1. Refactor

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

EPG files test: Phase 1. Refactor

I require some people to test some new EPG files

Firstly, some background information.
    Andy Blackburn added some EPG screens to ViX that were revolutionary at the time. Coolman was working with Andy on the EPG, he then did the dirty on Andy, so you may find several similarities with his CoolEPG. Anyway, as with everything that grows and expands organically, things can become intertwined. Fixing and adding things becomes difficult. When the original coders are no longer active and there are no comments as to what the code does or should do, it becomes more difficult. There are lots of if this do that, if not do the other.

There are many EPG screens. Most people (including some of our seasoned users and testers do not know about) and there are some that people do not use at all. Most skins do not cater for all of the EPG screens that ViX provides.
    Vix Night skins and Rob's skins cater for them. Please refer to this thread (will need to be tidied up later)
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...s-and-Bouquets

SimonC has been rewriting the EPG code so that is it is more modular and easier to work with. The commit logs for changes is here:
    https://github.com/SimonCapewell/eni...s/epg-refactor

At the moment, the work is solely to make the code work as the existing code, maybe with the odd bug fix thrown in. Once the code works fine, we will in future look at adding the EPG button mods, subject to approval. One of the original objections was that the EPG screens must behave the same across all types. However, it came to light that this is not the case. On some EPG screens, you can view and select bouquets and on others you can perform potluck bouquet changes but you cannot see the bouquet you will be going into. And perhaps the Horizontal EPG screen can be added later as well. Other teams that forked from ViX have made changes and more importantly bug fixes to their EPG screens without sending anything back. These cannot be added easily in the current form.

The project stages are as below:
    Simplify/Rewrite.
    Fix new bugs so everything functions without affecting users
    Fix known bugs
    Add features
    Fix newer bugs

To add the code to the main image, we need a wider testing. If you are willing to test, read on.

You must be on 5.3 026 minimum (This is because one of the affected files is involved in an update. Does not have to be a new flash, a software update will be fine).
    You must be using the official EPG files, not the modified "EPG mods" and "tabbed bouquets" files
    You must be able to FTP and be able to issue commands using Putty etc just in case there is a problem.
    If you encounter errors, you must be able to plainlyand accurately describe the problem and attach the crash log.
    Please say the exact button steps to reproduce the error and any relevant options enabled.
    If you are using IPTV, you must remove sensitive details before uploading logs.

Testing new files files:

There are no changes required to skins. If your skin supports all the EPG screens fully, they should work as they do now.
    Please note: There are no intentions to make any changes that will require any skin changes.

Create a settings backup that you can restore if things go belly up. Shouldn't do, but best to be safe.

Five existing files must be backed up. I normally add an ".orig" at end of the file after the extension. If there is a crash, you can quickly restore these and you will use the original EPG file.

/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/EpgList.pyo
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/UsageConfig.pyo
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/ChannelSelection.pyo
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.pyo
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/EPGSelection.pyo
    /usr/share/enigma2/menu.xml
    /usr/share/enigma2/setup.xml

Latest files are in post 2

Extract the attachment
    The xml files go in /usr/share/enigma2/
    python/folder files to the /usr/lib/enigma2/python/ folder
    Restart.

In summary, the purpose of this thread is for people to test the new EPG files and feedback their findings so that Simon and I can replace the EPG files without adversely affecting users.

To facilitate and keep this on track, I will be soft deleting posts to keep the current issues on topic. I will leave fixed issues for a day or so to avoid duplicate bug reports. At the end of the project, I shall undelete the posts so the user input and assistance is not lost and can be recognised by others.

Thanks once again to all our volunteers.

Bonus Info:
    Git location: /data/setup.xml
    Receiver location: /usr/share/enigma2/setup.xml

Edit: 07/05/2020
    The Test has now concluded and changes have been merged in the Dev branch.
    Many thanks to Simon and the test group.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

goRt (08-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Please make sure you are on 5.3 027 before transferring these

Title
    Thanks
    Post reserved 3

Title
    Thanks
    Post reserved 4

Title
    Thanks
    Post reserved 5

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I just installed it on my daily box VU+ Duo4K. This evening I will see how it works.

The box started as normal. I took a quick look with the web interface and Info, Channel EPG, MultiEPG and graphical MultiEPG looked like before. I use one of Rob´s skin.

Anything to look after in special?

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-04-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Ill load up a fresh image in multiboot on my sf8008 later on and test
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial
    Anything to look after in special?
    Hopefully everything should be the same as the official file. Please report anything unusual that you find.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Up and running on a second box I recently purchased from WoS.

No issues (after 5 minutes).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Doesn't seem repeatable after going into the options and back out

If I'm in the graphical EPG and go to a channel with no EPG data (channel 4 next Wednesday) then the black then follows on to the next line with the cursor, if I hold still the the whole EPG becomes blank (but moving the cursor shows the program detail)
    Thanks solo4k

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by goRt; 08-04-20 at 18:59.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When watching a recording, press guide and select hd channels bouquet to show graphical epg.

Exit returns to bbc1 hd, not the recording being watched.

Debug logs if needed, but might be a while.

(New box, recently configured, but I'm pretty sure this isn't me.)

Partial debug log attached (I pressed exit multiple times so i could find the area in question.)

"Quit Movie Player with EXIT button" set to NO.)
    Last edited by ccs; 08-04-20 at 19:36.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-04-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    .... just went back to the standard version, and exit the graphical epg returns to the recording being played.

Just noticed that a program was being recorded when I took the debug log, so "The attached files will only use the new EPG files if recordings are not taking place." may be another issue.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-04-20 at 20:10.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I need to double check, but it looks like the problem I saw in #11 only happens when a program is recording.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (09-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I need to double check, but it looks like the problem I saw in #11 only happens when a program is recording.
    Probably why I couldn't reproduce your report. Simon has wiped out all the old code, I'm waiting for go-ahead before uploading

Title
    Thanks
    Hi abu baniaz,

Because I have been tweaking and contributing to the varoius EPG discussions / threads I just wanted to let you know that I can't help on this testing (much as I would be happy to normally) because I only have the one box and it is the main TV for me and the wife. I would not be popular if things got messed up or it changed daily/weekly.

Just saying but I am really happy that this is happening and look forward to the results as time goes on.

Cheers,

smipx (Paul)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smipx For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (09-04-20)

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast