Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Thinking of getting back into UK Satellite

Title
    Thanks

Thinking of getting back into UK Satellite

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting back into UK Satellite (Astra2), after years of HD broadband streaming (Amazon\Netflix) and BluRays. Just wondering what satellite has to offer these days compared to streaming. Looking for MusicTV and Film4 type content in HD if possible. This stuff is on Sky, and I don't mind having to pay The Man if that's the only way. Just sounding out other options.

I spoke with WoS about the GiGaBlue UHD Trio and Zgemma H7S, they both seem cheap enough. Happy to run Vix. Dish is still bolted to the wall and pointd at Astra2

I'm assuming that these receivers will display free to air HD channels? There was an old post I remember seeing that had a list of channels Enigma2 receivers could and couldn't decode (from Astra2). Mostly the HD channels. Would appreciate the list if you have it - I have searched.

What about sticking a valid Sky card into the receiver? Will all channels be available as per the subscription, or are there channels that can only be received with a Sky box?

Is there any benefit to running the above boxes with a genuine Sky card, or just stick with the Sky receiver?

Are there any other legit cards available that will give HD Film and MTV type channels from Astra2? Sky used to be the only player, is that sill the case?

Thanks,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sky card doesn't work with E2 box anymore Paired with box

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.

On further investigation, it looks like no HD content on an E2 receiver from Sky, and many other channels don't clear either. Genuine boxen only if you want HD. I see there is HD content from a different satellite (Hotbird) using a genuine Polish subscription card, but that's more trouble than I want to goto.

How things have changed.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Lots my friend, lots are cardless, more and more streaming.
    I have loads of door stops, but it wouldn't be fun without the chase would it??
    That's what its all about for me

Title
    Thanks
    Following on from this old thread;

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...XTrend-ET10000

The difference between FreeSat and (Sky)FreeToView is that (Sky)FreeToView give you some extra channels that you don't get with standard FreeSat, but only if you have an old Sky card (no contract) in a Sky receiver.

I've been searching for the list of extra channels and found this:

https://ukfree.tv/channels/all/Sky

I cross referenced many of the extra (Sky)FreeToView channels with the channel listing for Astra2 28.8 below, and found that the extra channels are broadcast in 'clear', meaning that you should be able to receive them on an Enigma2 receiver without any kind of card - right?

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

For example, channel 4 Hd and Kerrang are both listed as Clear.

I'm missing something here....Why does a standard FreeSat box not pick up the extra (Sky) channels if they're broadcast in the clear? Either FreeSat want nothing to do with these extra channels or ...

Could someone just confirm if it's possible to receive these extra (Sky)FreeToView channels on a E2 box (GigaBlue\OpenVix)?

Thanks,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Freesat is a commercial provider and only contain services that are part of their "product". They don't scan as such, they read the tables as to which services to use. If you turn the option to use non Freesat mode, it will scan and find the FTA channels. But you will lose the channel lineup.

FTA: You do not need card to watch
    FTV: You need a card with active entitlements to watch. (This does not mean you need a subscription.)

An Enigma2 receiver will allow you to watch all the FTA channels. If you have a card, you can setup a softcam to keep the card alive. But there are only a few channels that need this now that most services are on narrow/spot beam.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post

FTA: You do not need card to watch
    FTV: You need a card with active entitlements to watch. (This does not mean you need a subscription.)

An Enigma2 receiver will allow you to watch all the FTA channels.
    I understand that E2 receivers can display FTA channels. What I'm trying to find is what channels are in the FTV and FTA list.

I thought the FTV channels were the additional channels listed in the (Sky)FTV list here: https://ukfree.tv/channels/all/Sky

But that's not the case, as every additional channel I've looked at (like CH4 HD) is broadcast in the clear.

Or, to ask the question another way; does anyone have a link to all the FTA channels on Astra2 28.8?

Is it every channel on this list that's broadcast in the clear: https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php ?

This is another list, but I don't know if it's correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_at_28%C2%B0E

A link to all the FTV channels on the same satellite would be nice. I don't know how you'd differentiate between a FTV and subscription (contract) channel either. All that's usually shown in the above list is the broadcaster and scrambling system used.

Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The kingofsat link is probably more accurate. The only way to establish if FTA is to zap to each channel and check. Some are free but have wrong encryption flags.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

deltec (08-04-20)