Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: From Solo2 to Ultimo 4K

Title
    Thanks

Question From Solo2 to Ultimo 4K

Hi all,

Recently bought from WoS Sponsor the Ultimo 4K with Tuner 1 and 2 with the twin satellite FBC, and tuner 3 with the Twin Hybrid C/T/T2.
    The Ultimo is set up using the connections I had from the previous receiver, the Vu+ Solo2.
    I have an Astra 19.2 dish and an Astra 28.2 dish, both with twin LNB.
    I have 2 Diseqc switches, each with an incoming cable from 19.2 and one from 28.2, so in the end only 2 cables coming into the house, which is the max. I can have.

On the Ultimo I now have connected 1 cable to each Tuner, so 1 Diseqc to Tuner A, and the other to Tuner I. Tuners B and J are on Loop-through, and all the others on FCB Automatic.

Questions:
    If I would be changing the both twin LNB's to single Unicable-2 ones, what advantages could that bring me ?
    Would I need a splitter on both cables, to put f.e. 19.2 on Tuners A and I, and 28.2 on tuners B and J ?, or would both 19.2 cables on A and B, and both 28.2 cables on I and J be better ?
    Do I need to change settings in the other Tuners, for the manual channels / frequencies ?

Thanks in advance,
    Hans
    Current: Vu+ Ultimo 4K - 1Tb HDD, 8Tb USB, 8Tb USB, 6Tb USB (all powered)
    ___________Astra 19.2 and 28.2 East, both with Unicable-II LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Once a diseqc switch is using/locked to one position, that wire is stuck on that satellite.

Even before you get your new LNBs, you are better off using one satellite per module. This avoids the locking mentioned above. You may not need the Unicable LNB depending on your viewing habits.

You configure a tuner to match hardware attached to it. You do not need to alter your channel lists. The receiver will select tuner required automatically.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

LbCwby (29-03-20),Sicilian (30-03-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    On my Giga4K‘s I run dedicated 19.2E and 28.2E sat dishes to my single FBC tuner card(which has inputs A (attached 28.2E dish cable) and B (attached 19.2E dish cable) , so I am able to split the 8 tuners between the 2 sats - with your Ultimo4K and Unicable LNB‘s (no DiSeqc switches) , I assume you will have the opportunity of attaching the sat cables each to a dedicated FBC tuner giving you I assume 16 tuners per sat dish.
    In the picture the big dish on the garage roof is the 28.2E dish and above the 19.2E ( they actually use quattro LNB‘s into Unicable switches - but thats another story)
    Last edited by twol; 29-03-20 at 10:35.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

LbCwby (29-03-20),Sicilian (30-03-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu Baniaz and twol for your input.

If I understand both of you correctly, I better take out the Diseqc switches and, from each of the twin (normal) LNB's, connect only 1 cable.
    F.e. from the 19.2 to Module A and the 28.2 to Module I. Then setting B and J to Loop-through.
    I'll definitely try that once I have checked the current 2 cables running into the house are long enough to reach the LNB's. Otherwise need to wait till I can get my hands on connectors/cable to do so.

Regarding viewing habits, I record a lot of stuff, to then watch it afterwards being able to skip through adverts. Thus I regularly would be recording 2 programs (max. on the Solo2). That limited open channels to view directly at the same time.
    With the Ultimo I have noticed, even with the current Diseqc set-up, that a lot more channels are open to view, even when recording 2 programs at the same time. This evening I am able to record 3 programs at the same time, 2 on 28.2 (E4 and Sony) and 1 on 19.2 (3Sat).
    Will have to see which channels then are still able to see live.
    Once I have made the changes to the connections as you propose, I will set-up the same recording combination as tonight, and see if more live channels would be available.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
    Hans

BTW - also BIG thanks to all the time, effort and resources you, and all the others, put into OpenVix and the community.
    Last edited by LbCwby; 29-03-20 at 11:24.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LbCwby For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-09-20),Andy_Hazza (29-03-20),Sicilian (30-03-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Updated to Unicable-II LNB's, as with the Universal LNB's I was unable to use the full potential of the Ultimo4K with the FBC-tuners.

I also put this in a separate entry just now, as I wanted to let others know how easy this change was.
    Again thanks for all the help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LbCwby For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-09-20)