Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SkyQ + FreeSat from Linux Receiver with 1 LNB

Title
    Thanks

SkyQ + FreeSat from Linux Receiver with 1 LNB

I'm moving from Sky Q to a Gigablue UHD UE 4K Receiver but need them to both run for a short time. I have purchased a "GT-Sat GT-dLNB1DY SCR/dCSS Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24" LNB to replace the Sky Q one which I was going to use exclusively with the new receiver. Now I want to keep both (for a while) I'm wondering what to do.

I think I perhaps have two options?

1) Change that new LNB for a "GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 SCR/dCSS Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24 with 3x Legacy Outputs" and use two of the legacy outputs for Sky Q. Not sure if this will work, looking at the Sky Q setup menus the LNB can be Wideband or SCR only. Also I assume if this is an option the number of concurrent viewing/recording would be limited.

2) Keep the LNB I have just purchased and then use a passive splitter "GT-Sat GT-SP21 2 Way Satellite Splitter 5-2400MHz DC Pass Suitable for Unicable" to connect both receivers to the single cable to the LNB. Although AFAIK there's no configuration of the userbands used by Sky in the setup menu and after doing some Googling the bands that are apparently used by Sky Q don't seem to match those which are listed in the documentation with my new LNB. TBH, I don't know if this is an issue, the whole SCR thing is new to me. Also with this option, I've read that some Sky Q boxes fail since they can't provide sufficient current to power this type of LNB (also not sure how which receiver would power the LNB when using a splitter).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You will need to have a hybrid SkyQ LNB which has legacy ports on it, then use the legacy ports on your new Gigablue before removing your SkyQ LNB and replacing with your new Unicable 2 LNB. I assume you want to keep SkyQ running while you are still in contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Heathy65 (12-02-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

SkyQ + FreeSat from Linux Receiver with 1 LNB

You cannot use the legacy port on a Sky Q receiver. The Sky Q requires a wideband LNB or SCR technology of which unicable is. There are slight differences in the implementation, so I don't know if the new LNB you have will work. You can try it, phone Sky or check on their forums.

Sky do have power inserters for LNBs. You can power it via the other receiver anyway.

Please share what you find out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Heathy65 (12-02-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Legacy port on my SkyQ Hybrid LNB works on my e2 receivers.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Heathy65 (12-02-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks both.

Actually I did have the hybrid LNB installed by Sky when I had Sky Q installed (at that time I had a Sat>IP box that I needed to continue to use alongside Sky Q, now long-gone).
    So will leave that in place for now and use a couple of the additional outputs on that LNB for my new box in the short them then ultimately replace the LNB when I dump Sky.

FYI, the reason for this is a just a transition period whilst I fine-tune the new installation (and perform training/handover to the wife!). Also, AFAIK, you can't even watch recordings from a Sky Q box if it hasn't got a working satellite feed, which is another reason for this parallel running (until my contract ends).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heathy65 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (12-02-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Legacy port on my SkyQ Hybrid LNB works on my e2 receivers.

I was referring to using legacy ports on the unicable LNB to a Sky Q receiver. Sorry for confusion.

Title
    Thanks
    Based on me having the Sky provided LNB with the extra outputs and not having purchased the new LNB with any extra outputs I will leave my Sky Q connected as-is and use a couple of the extra connections for my new receiver (until I change the LNB and dump Sky).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heathy65 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (12-02-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Here are 2 options that will work

1) Use Sky Q LNB with legacy ports.
    The legacy ports will work on the Gigablue but it isn't Unicable so you will only get one satellite feed per legacy cable.

2) Use a Quattro LNB connected to a multiswitch that handles Sky Q, Legacy and Unicable
    Something like this switch would work and adapt to whatever it is connected to.
    They can be very expensive though.

I would go with option 1.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dubrov For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (13-02-20)