Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Solo2 won't power up

Title
    Thanks

Solo2 won't power up

Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but i have posted in the Solo2 section and not had a reply.

I am fairly sure that it is a hardware issue but I am after a bit of advice The unit had whatever the latest Vix image was about 3 weeks ago.

I have had a Solo2 for about 5 years. It has lived in a bedroom for the last couple of years and is used mainly to watch recordings on another box. It has no hdd fitted. Anyway, a couple of weeks before xmas, it hadn't woken up like it should have done and it wouldn't respond to the remote. When I tried pressing the blue power button, it went bright for half a second, then dim again. That is all it has done since, it doesn't even try to boot. I have tried a new power supply but no difference.

Anyone any ideas? Many thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Have you tried powering it on with nothing connected to it apart from power lead? Not even HDMI.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What is on the display? Does it state the same thing on display no matter what you do/press on the remote (ie frozen)?

Are you able to ping the box?

Title
    Thanks
    I have tried it with just a power lead plugged in, nothing else. There is no display. Just the power light which will briefly go bright if I press it. Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To rule out the TV and HDMI being the issue, can you try something like DVD player in place of the Solo2? That is the only thing you swap out is Solo2 for a DVDPlayer but still use existing HDMI lead in existing HDMI slot in TV.

If above proves HDMI/TV fine then as you have nothing on the display of the Solo2 (ie not even date/time when in standby) then I would say it's likely broken.

The Solo2 is old now so it would likely cost more to try and get it repaired than just to get another suitable device.

There are a few Zgemma boxes supported by Vix that are cheap enough imho.

Title
    Thanks
    I have put my duo2 in its place for now. It's using the same hdmi and ethernet cables and it's working fine. Thanks for confirming what I feared 😕
    It has already had its main board replaced and another (display?) board went faulty whilst under warranty, so it's not been the best piece of kit I've ever had. I will have a look at Xgemma boxes.
    Thanks very much for your help ☺

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy For This Useful Post:

bbbuk (03-01-20),CRUMBLIN (05-01-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Not heard many faults with the solo2 until now.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Not heard many faults with the solo2 until now.
    Mine is still going strong (touch-wood).

Title
    Thanks
    I have had a Duo2 for about a year longer than the Solo2 and I have an Ultimo4k, neither of which has given me any bother at all. The Solo2 has been nothing but trouble. This is the third time it's had a major fault and this one seems fatal - I won't be too disappointed to see the back of it tbh...

Thanks for everyone's replies

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy For This Useful Post:

CRUMBLIN (05-01-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Zero's are only £79 from WoS atm, so I have gone for one of those...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Was the power supply the same rating for the box and will assume it is not a clone if 5 years old and on vix.