Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem initialing Hard Drive

Title
    Thanks
    Not sure what I did, but the HDD now works. I somehow managed to get it initialized and can see it in Mount Manager with its full storage capacity and everything.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KuchKuch For This Useful Post:

twol (19-12-19),Willo3092 (19-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Hitting it with the virtual hammer sometimes works -

Glad to see it's now working!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Well I thought this issue had been resolved, but I had to move my box and now I can't see the hard drive at all.

Been trying to reboot at least 10 times. In some instances I would see Storage in the setup menu, but in the majority of cases it's not there. Even when it is there I can't see the storage amount or initialize the hard drive.

Worryingly when I have been trying to reboot on some instances the box is stuck on the Gigablue splash screen and I have had to switch off from the mains.

I need to check the hard drive, but I am wondering if I should raise the issue with WoS, which is where I got my box from just under 2 weeks back in case the box is faulty.

Title
    Thanks
    I think you need to check the drive in a PC or in an external caddy to eliminate whether the disk or the GB box is faulty. Do you have any other disk you could install into the GB box?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I think you need to check the drive in a PC or in an external caddy to eliminate whether the disk or the GB box is faulty. Do you have any other disk you could install into the GB box?
    Got another hard drive from scan yesterday. It is a 3.5 inch, but I'm hoping I can still use it to test it. Will do that tomorrow and report back.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KuchKuch View Post
    Got another hard drive from scan yesterday. It is a 3.5 inch, but I'm hoping I can still use it to test it. Will do that tomorrow and report back.
    Replaced the hard drive and have rebooted the box 3 times and as of yet I haven't seen "Storage" appear in the Setup menu.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Sounds like its not connected correctly - whats in var/log/dmesg ?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Sounds like its not connected correctly - whats in var/log/dmesg ?
    See the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    As far as I can see there is no disk recognised - is it actually formatted? Attach it to your PC and see what windows or linux says.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I would presume when new disc was added it was formatted on box ,initialized and ext4 ready?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    As far as I can see there is no disk recognised - is it actually formatted?
    It wouldn't need to be to show up. If the system couldn't see a raw disk you'd never be able to get any file-system onto it.
    Have you tried a different SATA cable?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    It wouldn't need to be to show up. If the system couldn't see a raw disk you'd never be able to get any file-system onto it.
    Have you tried a different SATA cable?
    I replaced the SATA cables and the SATA Power cables (If that is what they called) and then switch to the old hard drive that occasionally used to show up and now everything appears to be running more smoothly and as expected. I've rebooted the box 6-7 times and every times once OpenViX is booted I can see "Storage" in the Setup menu. So it all looks good now, touch wood.

Hopefully I won't be adding to this thread in a few days time.

Thanks again everyone.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KuchKuch For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (28-12-19),cactikid (26-12-19),twol (26-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have an intermittent connection issue with either the SATA power or data cable. This may be because of a dodgy cable or the connection on the motherboard. If you keep the replacement cables you now have and try the 3.5" disk and it works also, then dispose of the old cables in a recycling facility. If the 2'5" disk has further intermittent problems, then the issue may be with the motherboard and you should flag the problem to W-O-S directly. @birdman is right in that the box should recognise any standard SATA disk, whether formatted or not and then give you the option to format/initialise it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12