Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: My trusted Vu Duo2 is on its way out, time to upgrade to a new 4k box?

Title
    Thanks

My trusted Vu Duo2 is on its way out, time to upgrade to a new 4k box?

My Vu Duo 2 has lost one of its tuners, so not sure if it is worth trying to get it repaired or upgrade to a new 4k Box. First, chouse would be the duo 4k, but it is very expensive, what would other members recommend as an alternative to this satellite unit?

Always used Vu Duo's over many years up to now have found them to be very reliable and easy to set up so perhaps they are worth the premium price, but there is now much more choice out there I think it is important to have a good look at other options.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Samsung QE55 TV, Sony STN-DN1080 AV Amp, VU Duo2, fixed dish for Freesat, 1m motorised dish.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The big advantage of Vu+ for me is the FBC tuners. If you don't need them, the Zgemma H7 is excellent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (08-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    If you want FBC tuners then Giga4K UE
    If you want twin sat tuners then Octagon SF8008 (has Stalker) ..... or a little bit more quality Edision Mio 4K+
    Nothing wrong with H7, but I think all above offer something more
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    for 50 euro you have a new single tuner.79 dual tuner.Way cheaper then new box
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellejt View Post
    ....but only if old box is not on the way out and if one tuner goes then the implication is that its probably not going to last long
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellejt View Post
    The reason for the loss of one tuner is not clear, mixed views could be the power supply, also had excellent service out of it, but I think it is 4/ 5 years old.
    Samsung QE55 TV, Sony STN-DN1080 AV Amp, VU Duo2, fixed dish for Freesat, 1m motorised dish.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    It is a slot-in tuner. Why would you change the receiver just because it has a tuner fault?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

psionguy (09-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    £30 for second hand tuners on eBay. I'm sure that if you post in the classifieds, someone will have one or even a faulty one. The duo2 has two slots.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

psionguy (09-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    £30 for second hand tuners on eBay. I'm sure that if you post in the classifieds, someone will have one or even a faulty one. The duo2 has two slots.
    Have seen that second-hand tuner, if I could be 100% sure it is the tuner I would go for that, so I will go through those tests we did again, especially the one where I put the motorised dish in input B. But I also must make a point that some of the new satellite receivers do have benefits over my Duo 2, like 4k and improved tuners.

Title
    Thanks
    I have had the Gigablue UHD Quad 4K since it was released. Fantastic receiver, the only problem I have had is blind scan does not work on most of the latest images. Flashed to an earlier Vix image and its fine. Apparently its the same with many receivers after an image is updated. Just takes a while for them to get sorted. I may add an additional tuner just for blind scan.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Emulated For This Useful Post:

psionguy (09-12-19)