Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sound but no pic (get menus fine)

Ojustaboo

Sound but no pic (get menus fine)

Hi all

Moved my Quad back to the living room while waiting for Sky to be installed.

Powered it up, all was fine, I moved it, got all the menus, boot screens etc, get channel sound but no pic.

Opened it up to see if anything was loose, nothing appeared to be.

Booted it up, still didn't work.

Powered it off, then powered it on a bit later to try flashing it, it booted fine before flashing and pic worked

Moved everything around in my entertainment stand, and I'm back with sound but no pic.

I've tried 3 different HDMI ports/cables on my TV

Any ideas? Was going to leave this box set up and simply bung all my vids from my PC on it.

Looks like it has other ideas.

I've opened it, resealed all cables, nothing appears odd.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Menu/setup/Audio & Video/settings AC3 downmix?????? Downmix or passthrough?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Will have a look and get back.

Oddly, pic in pipc displays fine, just not the big pic

Ojustaboo
    This is weird.

Was going to attach a pic of what it's set at (have also tried all combinations of downmix etc for all options)

However, doing a screenshot from openwebif, shows the channel in the background proper;y, whereas, as you can see from the pic I took with my ipad, the TV doesn't.

pic1.jpgpic1a.JPG

Same goes for PiP, on TV just see PiP, on Openwebif, looks like it's the main TV

pic2.jpgpic3.jpg

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    This is weird.

Was going to attach a pic of what it's set at (have also tried all combinations of downmix etc for all options)
    The downmix etc. is only for audio that you indicate there is no problem.

Have you tried decreasing the video rate to 1080i or even 720i?
    HD UK TV is 1080i and NOT 1080p.
    For 1080p you may need a better HDMI cable (not necessarily a more expensive one)
    Over the years as the resolution and bit rates have increased the HDMI specification has added different "versions" of cable to support these faster bit rates
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions
    If you are using a lesser cable (one of the earlier versions) then it may not support the bit rates that you are attempting to push out from the box. It may just be intermittant at high bit rates..
    The latest spec of cable shouldn't cost any more than a fiver.

Try also having the TV switched on before switching on your box.
    Last edited by adm; 04-12-19 at 00:42.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Think it must be hardware.

Tried all 4 hdmi cables and ports on Tv (including hdmi I used for my 4K box).

Tried every vid resolution, having TV on etc

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    My Xtrend et8000 has a similar issue.

From time to time it will start up with no picture. Usually putting it into standby, waiting a few seconds and taking it out of standby restores the picture (which at least means recordings continue OK).

My suspicion is that it's something to do with HDMI-CEC, as trying to use ARC for the sound doesn't work properly with this system connected along with an MBTwin (so I now use an optical cable instead).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    I've worked out it's my HDMI4 port on my TV.

Full rebooting between each HDMI port and the others work with it, this one doesn't (tired swapping cables).

When I initially tried swapping ports, I didn't do a full reboot each time (doh)

HDMI4 works with all my other equipment, so I'm happy

Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You shouldn't be pulling HDMI cables with the power on anyway - you are bound to damage a port so be careful in future.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    You shouldn't be pulling HDMI cables with the power on anyway - you are bound to damage a port so be careful in future.
    According to the HDMI spec, it's hot-pluggable.

Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
    R/h column. Note the definition of Pin19.
    Last edited by birdman; 04-12-19 at 19:10.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It is indeed in the spec and I have done it by accident a few times but there have been numerous cases of equipment damage. On this forum alone it is common enough and it usually involves equipment not working after being moved for redecorating etc. so I think its best to err on the side of caution. Not all manufacturers may provide adequate ESD protection on the boards.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    When we had a lightning strike around here (hit house opposite) it was the hdmi connections I lost on 3 devices - the rest of the kit was OK - very sensitive.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    According to the HDMI spec, it's hot-pluggable.

Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
    R/h column. Note the definition of Pin19.
    I've seen HDMI ports fail hot plugging them. I've even seen ports short with pin damage doing this.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (05-12-19),ronand (05-12-19)