Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky Q plus Unicable plus Legacy

Title
    Thanks

Sky Q plus Unicable plus Legacy

Hi all,

I was doing a new build and looking at the possibility of using Unicable for my TV distribution.
    All TV points will have network and 2xCoaxial feeds wired back to a central point.
    I also already have a couple of FreeSat TVs that are not Unicable compatible.

I was looking at Unicable LNBs with legacy ports like this one which is probably the way I will go.

However, I understand this LNB is not compatible with Sky Q.
    It seems it is also possible that a Quattro LNB could feed a Unicable Multiswitch that would also have Sky Q and Legacy outputs.

I was looking at this Unicable switch from Inverto that offers "8x Sky dSCR / SatCR / Legacy + Terrestrial Outputs".

It is clear to me that this switch is compatible with Sky Q and Legacy tuners. However, will it work with a standard Unicable STB (e.g. an FBC tuner on Vu+/Gigablue)?
    The spec references 16 "Sky UK (dSCR)" and 16 "EN50494/EN50607" User Bands.

Thanks
    Last edited by dubrov; 30-11-19 at 23:33.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dubrov For This Useful Post:

timofee (02-12-19)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    As far as I know Sky Q box is compatible with Unicable. Check in the installer menu on the Sky box.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

dubrov (02-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I don't have a Sky Q box to test with. A quick Google suggests that Sky have their own proprietary form of Unicable called Sky dSCR.
    It seems to be very similar to the Unicable standard but has been tweaked just enough so that standard satellite boxes will not work with their LNB.

I had a look in the Vix Tuner configuration menu and can see ISKY-UST110-CUO4O-16P as an option so it must be compatible.
    Reading the spec some more, it looks like there would be 16 Sky, 12 Unicable II and 4 Unicable I User Bands available (in addition to the legacy option) which will cover way more than I'll ever need.

I think I'll go down the Quattro LNB and Unicable switch route as it will give the most options and be easiest to maintain going forward.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dubrov For This Useful Post:

Huevos (02-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dubrov View Post
    I don't have a Sky Q box to test with. A quick Google suggests that Sky have their own proprietary form of Unicable called Sky dSCR.
    It seems to be very similar to the Unicable standard but has been tweaked just enough so that standard satellite boxes will not work with their LNB.

I had a look in the Vix Tuner configuration menu and can see ISKY-UST110-CUO4O-16P as an option so it must be compatible.
    Reading the spec some more, it looks like there would be 16 Sky, 12 Unicable II and 4 Unicable I User Bands available (in addition to the legacy option) which will cover way more than I'll ever need.

I think I'll go down the Quattro LNB and Unicable switch route as it will give the most options and be easiest to maintain going forward.
    ....... but the more expensive route (switches are expensive .... or at least mine were expensive!)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I have two of the Inverto switches. Doing a bit of work in the house so not able to test them on E2 receivers.

IDLU-UST110-CU010-32P
    Item 5151

ISKY-UST110-CU040-16P
    Item 5412

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

dubrov (03-12-19)

Title
    Thanks
    It's can be a good bit more expensive if you go for the top end switches new.
    I picked up the Sky Inverto multiswitch on Ebay here.
    Ebay have 5% off at the moment so 47.50GBP delivered.

I think this switch is closer to 200 new though but there are cheaper alternatives.