Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Getting Saorview/Freeview with Single tuner but not with dual tuner

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Question Getting Saorview/Freeview with Single tuner but not with dual tuner

Hi folks,

I've searched the forum for tuner related problems but can't see mine mentioned. Hope this is something basic and stupid I'm doing wrong, as it often turns out to be. I had an existing single DVB-C/T tuner but wanted to replace it with a dual tuner to solve my wife's annoyance about watching/recording at the same time on Saorview channels. I recently ordered the VU+ Hybrid Dual / Twin 2x DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner from WOS for my Duo2.

The single tuner's been working fine, the config says Vuplus DVB-T NIM(SSH108) (DVB-T2) and it says on scanning that it picks up 38 channels on 546Mhz/channel 30.

When I replace it with the dual tuner, the config says Vuplus DVB-T NIM(TT3L10)(DVB-T2), I set the region to Ireland (all regions), open the Signal Finder and scan on 546Mhz/channel 30. The Signal Finder says it has SNR 100%, good AGR, no BER and it has a lock. When I run a scan though, it finds no channels!

From what I read, Saorview operates on DVB-T but this new tuner is supposed to support that. I don't see any setting in the tuner setup beyond switching between Terrestrial and Cable modes. I've also noticed that the new dual tuner seems to get a lock on every channel/frequency. I would think normal behaviour (from the single tuner) is that it should only be able to get SNR/AGR/lock from a channel that Saorview is broadcasting on so I haven't a notion why it's doing this either.

I'm unfortunately too noob with satellite boxes and tuners to guess at why the heck one tuner would work but the other wouldn't, with what I see are the exact same settings. Can anyone give me some advice?

Attached is a pic of the system info but these are the main software versions afaik from the "About" menu:

Image: 5.0.032
    Drivers: 2017-08-22
    Kernel: 3.13.5

Thanks for any tips!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I would start by flashing newest image, this will ensure you have latest XML file. Saorview has had some changes recently.

Are you scanning in Auto, DVB-T or DVB-T2 mode? Post a screenshot please.

There is a guide to taking screenshots in my signature. Please try it, it's a lot clearer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

argolis (18-11-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. My mistake, I thought an update on the receiver would get the latest image but I guess it picks up the latest patch/minor versions. I flashed to the latest 5.3 version earlier and it appears to now be able to see the Saorview channels that it couldn't before. Happy days!

After spending a few hours fiddling around, I have it set up better than before. FYI there was/is no DVB-T tuner mode, only DVB-C and DVB-T2. That's one thing that had me confused. I guess the DVB-T2 tuner mode automatically recognises DVB-T as well, as I understand Saorview is on DVB-T.

One small wrinkle is that on the recordings screen, the entries are cropped/compressed. Do you think that's a display problem or a bug in the image? Everything else seems perfect. Screenshot attached using your instructions. That's a very nifty screenshotting method

Thanks and regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Think others had that issue also and maybe under settings to reduce the number of rows?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (18-11-19),argolis (18-11-19),Joe_90 (18-11-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yep, that was in cactikid. I didn't realise I could press menu from within the recordings screen for its own menu, I thought all settings were in the main menus. All done, thanks guys, delighted this got sorted

Now that I think I'm an expert, I'll probably be back here when mess around with it and break it again

8. The Following User Says Thank You to argolis For This Useful Post:

cactikid (18-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @argolis - do you have all the Saorview channels? Your posts say you're scanning on UHF channel 30 only. Saorview is broadcast on a pair of channels from each transmitter. If you are getting RTE1, RTE2, Virgin Media 1/2/3 plus the RTE1+1 and RTE2+1 channels, then both multiplexes are being scanned in. If you're not getting all the channels, let us know the area you are in and I can work out the appropriate channels. I'm guessing that you are receiving from Three Rock in Dublin - that's channel 30 and channel 33. If you use AutoBouquetsMaker you can select the particular Saorview transmitter location and it will build the channel list for you automatically.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

argolis (18-11-19),cactikid (18-11-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi fat-tony,

Thanks for the offer, that's sound. Thankfully all the channels have been picked up! I used several video guides for setup including ABM, all worked well. I got picons added and configured now, which I didn't before so I'm spoilt Plus the Vu-Blue-HD skin looks sweet.

I'm in Lucan and the coverage checker suggests Kippure would be best reception but the guy who set it up has it set for Three Rock so I stayed with those settings. I'm not familiar with the physics of the aerials, is the aerial is oriented in any way so the signal from Kippure wouldn't be as good or does it make a difference? That is, could I tune in on Kippure's freqs/channels 34&35 just the same? It skips over 34/35 in the Signal Finder

When doing the Signal Finder scan you select just one freq/channel so I assumed all stations were broadcast on both channels but I see now from what you said that they're split between the two freqs/muxes. Can you scan on both muxes without ABM? Like, maybe doing a Signal Finder scan on each channel and it remembers both sets of stations...

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    In tuner configuration, set your area.

In manual scan, select complete. It will scan all frequencies listed for your area.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    I would have thought that Three Rock would be the transmitter of choice for Lucan, so if your signal is stable and not prone to dropouts leave well enough alone. The standard scan in the box will skip duplicated multiplexes once it gets a signal on the lower channels. You can verify using the signal finder to see if the signal to noise ratio is better on 30/33 from Three Rock or 34/35 from Kippure.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers