Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How do I update Vix image without losing settings?

Title
    Thanks

How do I update Vix image without losing settings?

Hi,

Can anyone advise on how I can update to the latest Vix image via USB and not lose my settings?

I tried updating through Menu - Setup - System - Software update , but it just hangs on the update screen and nothing happens, forcing me to power off

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by riom View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone advise on how I can update to the latest Vix image via USB and not lose my settings?

Restoring setting may depend on which version you are currently running.
    Which version are you running?

To save settings
    Menu -> Vix -> Backup manager -> Press Green for new backup

If you are going between certain versions after the USB flash you will be given the option to restore settings from this backup.

backup current image
    Menu -> Vix -> Image manager -> Press Green for new backup

Download Image
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/d...es/vu-solo-se/

Instructions
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g...ashing-guides/
    Last edited by adm; 07-11-19 at 14:33.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (10-11-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It all depends on what image you are on. Generally speaking you can use image manager in the Vix menu to download and flash the latest image. your settings are backed up automatically and you can restore them afterwards (assuming you have a HDD/storage connected). There should be no need to resort to a USB stick.

If you have a very old image you will need to do things manually - have a read here https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...older-than-4-2
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

twol (07-11-19),widar (07-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am currently on vix version 5.3.007. I am wanting to update as the receiver tends to jam often when channel surfing

I have tried using the Image manger to download the update, but when it reboots to install, the box stays on the update screen and does nothing even after 30 minutes, and I have to power off.

If I do a backup using the image manger then copy that to an external drive, can I restore the backup after I do a clean install with the latest firmware?

Thanks again

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    1. when you download the latest image - does that complete so you see it in the images list?
    2. iif it fails on the flash can you turn on debug logs menu/setup/system/logs —->settings and turn on debugs - make sure its saved to hdd not flash.
    3. post log here after attempting to flash.
    4. if you backup the image, then Yes you can either usb flash it or use ImageMananger to restore this setup image.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong, my bad..

I was trying to update using Menu - Setup - System - Software update (Which kept failing)

I now tried it using Vix Image Manger, downloaded the image from there and it updated fine.

Thanks for everyones help!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to riom For This Useful Post:

twol (07-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Flashing/installing and updating are two different processes.

You flashed, not updated.

Glad you are sorted.