Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E2 box, DVBS2 live TV pause/rewind/buffer. What and how?

Title
    Thanks

E2 box, DVBS2 live TV pause/rewind/buffer. What and how?

I could not think of a better thread title as I barely know the terminology to use. I am used to a Windows box running WMC and if I switch to another channel that channel starts to buffer the viewed channel automatically. I can pause or rewind to the point that the channel was changed and if I press record the box will record from the moment the channel was changed. I have it set to 60 minutes so that phone or other interruptions do not cause me to have to press record.
    Can I do this with an Enigma box such as a Vu+ Duo2 or a Zgemma H7S and if I can do I have to make several keystrokes to start or is it automatic?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    You have timeshift feature built into E2
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNorth View Post
    I could not think of a better thread title as I barely know the terminology to use. I am used to a Windows box running WMC and if I switch to another channel that channel starts to buffer the viewed channel automatically. I can pause or rewind to the point that the channel was changed and if I press record the box will record from the moment the channel was changed. I have it set to 60 minutes so that phone or other interruptions do not cause me to have to press record.
    Can I do this with an Enigma box such as a Vu+ Duo2 or a Zgemma H7S and if I can do I have to make several keystrokes to start or is it automatic?
    If you have a hard disk...

For full timeshift functionality you have to enable the timeshift buffer: menu -> setup -> recordings, playback & timeshift -> timeshift -> Automatically start timeshift after = say, 10 seconds. There is only one timeshift buffer which starts capturing data when you switch channels (the previous contents are effectively lost when you change channels) If the buffer is operational at the beginning of a program and half way through the program you decide to record it Openvix will give you the opion to record from the begiining of the program from the data in the timeshift buffer and stop when the end of the program occurs. In this mode if you want to rewind live TV press pause first and then you can rewind back through the buffer. OpenVix also allows you to jump back by X seconds using the 1.4. and 7 buttons on the remote if you are in timeshift mode (or watching a recording). The 3 .6. and 9 buttons on the remote allow you to jump forward x seconds. The number of seconds on each button can be configured in menu -> settings -> Recordings, playback and timeshift -> recording and playback -> Custom skip time for 1 and 3 buttons = say, 15 seconds. The other button times can be different, say 60 seconds for the 4/6 buttons and 300 seconds for the 7/9 buttons.

If the automatic start timeshift is disabled you can still pause live TV. Pressing pause will also start up the hard disk/timeshift buffer but you may only go back through the program to the point where you pressed pause and not to the point where you changed channels.

If the timeshift buffer spans more than one program then to jump over those boundary use the < (prev) or > (next) buttons located just below the 7 and 9 keys on your remote
    Last edited by adm; 07-11-19 at 16:49.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

MrNorth (07-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post

For full timeshift functionality you have to enable the timeshift buffer: menu -> setup -> recordings, playback & timeshift -> timeshift -> Automatically start timeshift after = say, 10 seconds. There is only one timeshift buffer which starts capturing data when you switch channels (the previous contents are effectively lost when you change channels) If the buffer is operational at the beginning of a program and half way through the program you decide to record it Openvix will give you the opion to record from the begiining of the program from the data in the timeshift buffer and stop when the end of the program occurs. In this mode if you want to rewind live TV press pause first and then you can rewind back through the buffer. OpenVix also allows you to jump back by X seconds using the 1.4. and 7 buttons on the remote if you are in timeshift mode (or watching a recording). The 3 .6. and 9 buttons on the remote allow you to jump forward x seconds. The number of seconds on each button can be configured in menu -> settings -> Recordings, playback and timeshift -> recording and playback -> Custom skip time for 1 and 3 buttons = say, 15 seconds. The other button times can be different, say 60 seconds for the 4/6 buttons and 300 seconds for the 7/9 buttons.

If the automatic start timeshift is disabled you can still pause live TV. Pressing pause will also start up the hard disk/timeshift buffer but you may only go back through the program to the point where you pressed pause and not to the point where you changed channels.

If the timeshift buffer spans more than one program then to jump over those boundary use the < (prev) or > (next) buttons located just below the 7 and 9 keys on your remote
    Thank you, this is all good. It looks like I will find out how to do all this soon, I bought a used Vu+ Duo2 from the UK this afternoon and it should be with me when I ship some stuff over here next week. My job is to make it friendly for the wife to operate in the UK, I will configure everything and send it back there for her. My parabola here points at Astra 28.2E and hers in the UK does. The only thing I cannot do is a DVB-T2 scan for the 3rd tuner because of course it is UK based terrestrial.
    Yes it has an HDD, 1TB, enough for now but if she likes the thing I will put a 4TB in later. I don't know what the DAC is in these but I assume they probably make for a reasonably decent juke-box for ripped CD's.
    While I am on a roll I shall ask another question. EPG, is there a plugin to import a JSON format EPG? I use "Schedules direct" to import the guide into my windows box and get 14 days for the popular channels, 7/8 days for the low rent low bandwidth ones.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Google knows about JSON....

Code:
    https://github.com/beralt/horepg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    ......... but there is also full EPG support from various sources and In ViX several EPG display options
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Kiddac EPG plugin has several sources. Your provider may be listed already or could be added easily as it sounds as if same method is used.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

MrNorth (09-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Kiddac EPG plugin has several sources. Your provider may be listed already or could be added easily as it sounds as if same method is used.
    We are cheapskates and just use the FTA channels from the Astra 28E constellation

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    If you can receive 11778 Vertical, you can use CrossEPG. But that will giive you 7 days EPG. This is without using any internet connection.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

I've understood that I think. But is there a limit of the timeshift buffer with a 2TB HDD. In my Humax it was just last 2 hours, anything earlier was dropped.
    Just recorded timeshift for Le Mans on a single channel, STB on for 6 hours without interruption, and the recorded timeshift was only 68 mins.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Why did you timeshift record an event that was on for 6 hours? The usual action would be to use the normal record facility and either set the duration of the recording appropriately or set it to the end of the current event. This would assume that you had a reliable EPG source which is setting the end time of the event accurately. Using timeshifting recording you are absolutely dependent on the broadcaster EPG data. I've never managed to get more than two or three consecutive programmes recorded successfully on timeshift. I'm not sure if there is a hard limit on the number of received programme changes before the timeshift buffer is deleted. I've found that timeshift recording is just not dependable enough for those programmes I really want to record - use normal recording instead.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    I've understood that I think. But is there a limit of the timeshift buffer with a 2TB HDD. In my Humax it was just last 2 hours, anything earlier was dropped.
    Just recorded timeshift for Le Mans on a single channel, STB on for 6 hours without interruption, and the recorded timeshift was only 68 mins.

How did you initiate the recording of the timeshift buffer?

Was live TV on the program for 6 hours, without a change of channels? A change of channel will have cleared the buffer.
    At what point did you then decide to record the timeshift buffer. 1 hour in? 6 hours in?
    Did you press the record button and get the following pop-up menu?

timeshift.jpg

and then did you select option 5?

Was the 6 hour coverage broken by another program, such as 5 minutes of news or one of those pointless 1 minute celebrity news intervals both of which will have set their own start and end program markers.

If the Le Mans coverage was interrupted with news then the news will have had a broadcast start and end of program marker. When the Le Mans coverage continued afterwards a new start of program marker will have been broadcast. When recording the timeshift buffer it only goes back as far as the last start of program maker.

I don't know how deep is the timeshift buffer but I'm sure that I've gone back more than 68 minutes.

As others have said using the timeshift buffer as a record mechanism is not the best way of recording a 6 hour program if it was listed in the EPG. A one off timer or autotimer would have set a timer to capture/record the event.
    Last edited by adm; 20-09-20 at 16:22.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I don't know how deep is the timeshift buffer but I'm sure that I've gone back more than 68 minutes.
    For info:
    After posting the above I noticed that superbike coverage was on for legthy time so I changed channel to that program at 15:50 (the program was already part through so the timeshift buffer would have missed everything before the channel change). I kept the box on that channel and at 17:56, during the closing program credits, I pressed record and selected the record timeshift and stop after event option. The recording ended a few minutes later.
    The resultant recording was 128 minutes - the timeshift buffer is at least 2 hours long, prossibly much longer.
    I have an internal 1TByte hard disk.

I have.....
    Menu -> setup -> recordings and playback -> timeshift -> Stop timeshift while recording = No

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, yes, option 5. Stb/tv were on from 0800 to 1500+ on Eurosport 1 Le Mans. Only in prog ad breaks. No news progs to jump across.
    I have.....
    Menu -> setup -> ...... same with me.

>Why did you timeshift record an event that was on for 6 hours?

Now I am getting chuffing angry. Are you as intelligent as your neanderthal avatar looks??
    Anyway, since you asked - because I wanted to re watch part I had just half watched, German audio muted, while also listening to English Radio Le Mans. And as experimentation to learn the capabilities of the Openvix system as I couldn't find the answer on timeshift buffer size/duration in the manual, unlike the info in the Humax paper manual for my Foxsat HDR. I know what the usual action would be. If you couldn't/wouldn't/won't answer the question, then don't add your interpretation. As in "any form of assistance short of actual useful help and information".
    Last edited by CRMS; 20-09-20 at 22:15.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    I'm not sure why you got angry at me questioning why you chose to use a timeshift recording method, rather than a conventional record. It's wrong to infer tone from a simple question as to why you used one method rather than the more usual one (and my beloved Simpsons character avatar is upset at your "neanderthal" comment too ). However, you replied that you had been half-watching the programme and then decided to record it in order to re watch it, so that answered my query, thank you.

My experience with timeshift is that it is flaky at times and somewhat dependent on the particular machine. It seems to only go back to the previous programme marker (as @adm says). I've lost count of the number of times my GB Quad has frozen a timeshift recording when I move back in the buffer. My mutant hd51 is more stable in that regard. The Foxsat HDR has a two hour buffer fixed in the settings (I have one also). A two hour SD recording will occupy about 4GB of filespace and a HD recording will be around 6-7GB. I think the limitation in the Foxsat is down to the fact that it uses a specific fixed filename and just keeps re-recording it and the software engineers just decided on a fixed duration, so as not to compromise the remaining space on the disk for scheduled recordings . The enigma software uses a different strategy and generates a random filename which changes when the programme ends and a new one starts and seems to allow a maximum of two or three event changes. The issue is certainly not one of disk space when you have 1TB or more available - it's down to the timeshift handling code.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast