Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Simple UK picons

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Simple UK picons

Is there currently a source of BASIC UK picons for UK Freeview and 28.2E?

I don't mean the type of MK picon images at
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/d...channel-icons/
    which all have photo type background with a small channel ID in a corner and, in my opinion, cannot be easily identified in a graphical EPG

Example
    epg_xx.jpg

Ideally what I'm looking for is a picon image that only has the logo shown the MK picon images occupying the top left hand 6th/8th of the image area.

There are some picon files at
    Code:
    https://github.com/picons/picons/releases/
    which contain some of the type I'm after but unfortunately for most UK channels there appear to be zero byte files in the download.

A few years ago there were suitable picon downloads in the "download plugins" facility but these seem to have now be removed.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 23-08-20 at 02:26. Reason: Github link fix
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Ocram's picons use symlinks, probably why they show as 0byte. If SRP/SNP links are missing, you can submit your requirements.

Kiddac's picon plugin makes them on your receiver. It fetches then from the providers website.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

adm (12-09-19)

Title
    Thanks
    DSayer's also builds UK Ocram picons. He has a script for updating them too.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Kiddac's picon plugin makes them on your receiver. It fetches then from the providers website.
    Thanks, I installed e2piconizer from plugins/extensions and now have a full set of basic picons.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Can you create an update guide please? There is a thread one on Linuxsat, should you wish to refer to it first.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Can you create an update guide please? There is a thread one on Linuxsat, should you wish to refer to it first.
    I just used it with mainly defaults after downloading it in a quick and dirty method. The operation is fairly self explanetary when selecting the menu items in e2piconizer. I really didn’t bother removing picons I didn’t need etc.

Download the plugin
    Menu -> Plugins -> press green to download the list of plugins
    From the downloaded list -> Extensions -> scroll down to e2piconizer -> highlight and press OK to install.

Then

Menu -> Plugins -> select E2Piconizer (by KiddaC) -> press OK
    Select Picon Source = Virgin UK
    Leave all other setting as default
    press OK
    after the picon download press green to continue

Repeat but with Picon Source = Sky UK/IE

The same FTA channels on Sky/Virgin are valid for UK Freesat and UK Freeview

Using the default location the .png images (picon images) will be on the box at
    /etc/enigma2/E2Piconizer/downloads

I just copied all of the files and pasted them into a folder called "picon" (all lower case) that I created on my USB stick mounted on my box..

I restarted the GUI and checked the picons in my graphical EPG. I did go back into e2piconizer to repeat the exercise to create smaller picon files with a blanking border (just changing some of the defaults)

I found one picon missing in my EPG and this was corrected by a name change . Example:
    The picon for BBC1 may not appear probably because the channel is actually named BBC One. In the picon folder find the file named bbc1.png and change it to bbcone.png and/or the channel may be called BBC One Lon (London region) and there may not be a picon file for bbconelon.png. In this case find, say, bbconeeast.png and change the name to bbconelon.png.

epg_yy.jpg

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (12-09-19),AL.B (13-09-19),gws (13-09-19),Lawtie (03-12-19),lespat (13-09-19),Willo3092 (12-09-19)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Once you've got your icons in /etc/enigma2/E2Piconizer/downloads how do you tell the box to use them?
    Nothing seemed to happen when I did it, perhaps because I had been using prepackaged icons from
    enigma2-plugin-picons-snp-13e.19e.23e.28e.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent_2020-08-19--14-30-01_all.ipk
    before.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 28-08-20 at 13:15. Reason: More info added

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    Once you've got your icons in /etc/enigma2/E2Piconizer/downloads how do you tell the box to use them?
    Nothing seemed to happen when I did it, perhaps because I had been using prepackaged icons from
    enigma2-plugin-picons-snp-13e.19e.23e.28e.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent_2020-08-19--14-30-01_all.ipk
    before.
    They have to be in a folder named picon (all in lower case). I just copied them all (all the xxxx.png files) from where E2Piconizer put them to root/media/usb/picon (on my usb stick plugged into the back of my box)

If you already have picons from another source you may already have a folder named picon on your hard disk and you may need to clear it of the previous picons first or just rename the folder and create a new picon folder.

Restart the receiver after you install the picons. This is because the picon folder is selected during startup.
    Last edited by adm; 28-08-20 at 13:45.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    They have to be in a folder named picon (all in lower case). I just copied them all (all the xxxx.png files) from where E2Piconizer put them to root/media/usb/picon (on my usb stick plugged into the back of my box)

If you already have picons from another source you may already have a folder named picon on your hard disk and you may need to clear it of the previous picons first or just rename the folder and create a new picon folder.

Restart the receiver after you install the picons. This is because the picon folder is selected during startup.
    The box searches the whole file system for a folder called picon ?

Title
    Thanks

Simple UK picons

No, searches specific locations and roots of mounted devices.

You would be better off installing the "all" picon packs as they are not built to match a lamedb file.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

BrianTheTechieSnail
    No, searches specific locations and roots of mounted devices.
    You would be better off installing the "all" picon packs as they are not built to match a lamedb file.
    Thanks.
    That's going to take some major thinking to fully understand, but okay I'll stick to the larger all packs.
    Later: E2Piconizer doesn't seem to quite provide a full set of Sky icons so I'll abandon that idea too.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 29-08-20 at 09:01.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Simple UK picons

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    Thanks.
    That's going to take some major thinking to fully understand, but okay I'll stick to the larger all packs.
    Later: E2Piconizer doesn't seem to quite provide a full set of Sky icons so I'll abandon that idea too.
    You may never find a full set of picons. Many of the minor channels seem to arrive and go in short order and some of the "franchised" channels seem to change name occasionally.
    Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 29-08-20 at 11:53.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You may never find a full set of picons. Many of the minor channels seem to arrive and go in short order and some of the "franchised" channels seem to change name occasionally.
    Well enigma2-plugin-picons-snp-full.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent_2020-08-19--14-30-01_all.ipk has them all at the moment.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    BTW this is what I use for Merit light on Transparent.
    I made* it myself from the logo here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merit_(TV_channel)
    * just resized and extended top and bottom to 220x132.

merit.png