Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saorview Frequency Changes

Title
    Thanks

Saorview Frequency Changes

Hello all,

Saorview in ROI are changing a number of their terrestrial Tv frequencies. Just wondering does anyone know if or when Auto Bouquet Maker will be updated to allow for these changes? There are going to be simulcasts with old and new frequencies, can ABM handle this?

Thanks in advance.

Following a decision by the EU, some of the TV broadcast spectrum that is used by Saorview is to be reallocated to other purposes. The spectrum that is being cleared is the 700 MHz frequency band. The Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAE) has published information on its website detailing the parties responsible for the change which can be viewed here.

As a result of the 700 MHz migration some Saorview customers will be affected by the changes. The migration is taking place between Wednesday 4 September 2019 and Wednesday 4 March 2020, and Saorview will be providing information and advice to its viewers in order to ensure that they are aware of the migration and how the changes may affect them. Saorview customers can check to see if they will be affected by the changes by using this website or by contacting the Saorview team.

Many Saorview users will not be affected. But for those that are affected, they will need to retune their Saorview box or TV, and some customers may need to have some work done on their aerial and/or installation.
    Last edited by Kaysat; 28-08-19 at 11:34.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaysat For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (28-08-19),cactikid (28-08-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (28-08-19),Andy_Hazza (28-08-19),deltec (29-08-19),Kaysat (28-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    ABM reads the SI tables and it inputs the details that are broadcast on the tables. The RoI is slightly different in that there is more usage of custom transponders to override/supplement data.

There is the frequency finder applet within ABM to make people self sufficient. The idea is that users share these so we can update the values that ABM ships with. There is also the Terrestrial scan plugin.

It will be dealt with like how the the UK migration was done. I hope you can appreciate the difference between
    • Enigma2 scan,
    • ABM scan, which I insist on saying "read"
    • Commercial TV scan

Title
    Thanks
    I get the bit about the manual frequency finder in ABM. I presume this will find other frequencies other than those in ABM associated with whichever region is selected. What I am wondering is will ABM be updated to reflect the new frequencies and going forward will it scan the new frequencies once a region is selected. On that subject, what will it do when both old and new frequencies are being simulcast for the duration of the switch over.

Title
    Thanks
    If you are trying to ask if changes will be added to ABM in advance, the answer is no. When users report the changes we will add them or if there is a definitive and correct list. (The government file for UK details is unreliable)

As I have already said, ABM reads the data. There should not be an issue if the data is correct and the "HOME frequncy" is the same. If the home frequency changes, the Frequency finder will sort it out for you.

Title
    Thanks
    OK thanks,I have the list of the frequency changes, let me know if you want a copy.

Title
    Thanks
    Post them please. Just to repeat, they won't be done in advance. We can commit on the day. Even better you can submit a pull request.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (29-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaysat View Post
    OK thanks,I have the list of the frequency changes, let me know if you want a copy.
    Please post them here. I'm just back from holidays, so not up to speed just yet. I presume the Saorview changes will affect UHF channels 60-69? Probably just a reallocation of frequencies for some of the main and relays which can be updated in the lists. There is no automatic way for ABM to follow the frequency changes from the Saorview transmitters as the table data is the same for every transmitter instead of following the proper DVB standards.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (29-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I'll review the changes and add to the transmitter lists as they come on-stream. There is a period of co-existence of the old and new frequencies from September to March, but the old ones will be reduced in power by 3db so will be noticed by some users in marginal areas straight away.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (29-08-19),Sicilian (29-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    In the meantime, if I run frequency finder in ABM, I presume if there are two sets of frequencies on air at the time that it will find the new and name it Kippure1 (assuming Kippure is already being used) So I then set Kippure1 as a provider in AMB. All good so far. ABM will scan Kippure1 as a provider. But what happens when the old frequencies are switched off and presumably the new provider name for Kippure reverts back from Kippure1 to Kippure???? Am I making sense?

Title
    Thanks
    I have already posted what to do when the changes happen. You don't need to do anything until you get tuning problems. It is a simple fix you can do yourself without having to wait for anyone.

I think my posts on the issue have been clear enough. If there is something not clear, please say what you understand, what you don't understand and we shall hopefully try and fill the gaps.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cactikid (29-08-19),Sicilian (29-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    @kaysat - Frequency Finder won't work properly on the Saorview network. The issue is that all transmitters on Saorview use the same internal naming/numbering scheme for the pair of multiplexes. So, for example, if you look at the data transmitted from mux 1 on Kippure it will be exactly the same as the data from mux 1 on Three Rock. The exact same table information is presented. In the UK Freeview network the transmitters all use unique identifiers so ABM can identify that it has several variants and can present them to to the user to select the best one. In my particular circumstance my best transmitter is Greystones, Co Wicklow, but if I run a scan then Three Rock would be chosen as it occurs lower down in the frequency table, but has lower signal strength. I ran the ABM frequency finder and it finds the transmitters ok but names them 2RN 1 and 2RN 2 - so not very enlightening. It was because of this re-use of identical table data on the Saorview transmitters that I submitted the list of main and relay transmitters on a named geographical basis to abu for use in ABM in the first instance. I figured that a user in Ireland would know their local geographic location and transmitter and the data in ABM is hard-coded to reflect that. In the UK, once the main transmitter frequency is known, then ABM can tune it and follow the table information transmitted to find the other multiplexes automatically. In Ireland this is not possible due to the fixed nature of the table data. The tuning data will be updated in ABM as people report issues.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 29-08-19 at 16:16.

Title
    Thanks
    OK. When the changes happen, please post what needs changing or submit a pull request and we shall do it in a flash.

BTW, your summary is not fully correct for the UK.

Title
    Thanks
    Got that Tony, thank you. So just to be clear, if I scan using frequency finder in ABM (next week), and I find new frequencies, and I set ABM to scan these new frequencies, ABM will keep on scanning the new frequencies even after the old ones are shut down.
    Last edited by Kaysat; 29-08-19 at 16:27.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I have already posted what to do when the changes happen. You don't need to do anything until you get tuning problems. It is a simple fix you can do yourself without having to wait for anyone.

I think my posts on the issue have been clear enough. If there is something not clear, please say what you understand, what you don't understand and we shall hopefully try and fill the gaps.

I sent you a PM with link to that list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast