Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: dvb\c breaking up - but signal 85%

Title
    Thanks

dvb\c breaking up - but signal 85%

im confused, ive finally just hooked up my cable connection to this damn unit, it was fine in my vu duo2, solid signal. this box, ive tried 3 different images, but even on bbc1 the signal pixelates bad, i.e unwatchable - but signal says 85% - no fluctation in the signal number...

anything else i can try before i return it, based on a suspect faulty tuner?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Tuner won't be faulty, will be a signal issue of some kind. All tuners vary in sensitivity. From what your describing could be high signal, try an attenuator.

You can also test the tuner by setting it to DVB-T/T2 and connecting a standard TV aerial, if thats ok then receiver is not faulty.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Tuner won't be faulty, will be a signal issue of some kind. All tuners vary in sensitivity. From what your describing could be high signal, try an attenuator.

You can also test the tuner by setting it to DVB-T/T2 and connecting a standard TV aerial, if thats ok then receiver is not faulty.
    thanks im getting somewhere, i think its the STB's power cable causing interference \ as its being dragged across other equipment, ive moved it, and about to find it! either that or a cat5 cable...im rebooting.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manikm View Post
    thanks im getting somewhere, i think its the STB's power cable causing interference \ as its being dragged across other equipment, ive moved it, and about to find it! either that or a cat5 cable...im rebooting.
    Whats the quality of the cable connecting lead?

Very old article hence prices are out of date but cable types are still on sale

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    A cable without 100% screening (ideally copper) is very likely to allow local electrical interference to get into the sensitive tuner front end.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys I stripped my av setup down. And only plugged in the stb and cable... I then realised after all that its low signal and marginal. Obviously the edision dvb-c tuner isnt as sensitive as the vu duo 2.
    What's strange is the actual virgin box reports 100% signal and I think 42db signal. The incoming cable is split to go to to router and cable. But before the tv there is a wall mounted cable box with a wall separating... again presumably split. I was then splitting it again for virgin box and edision. So this explains signal degradation. I will run a length of cable from 1st split straight to 2nd split eliminating the wall mounted box and see how much it improves if at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    i took out the wall splitter and have ran a straight through cable....

so it goes like this, cable into the house (dining room) - its split into two, one cable goes to Virgin Router, one cable now goes through the wall - and split again, one to TIVO box, and one to EDISION.

taking away this splitter, did NOT change the signal either way...EDISION says 8.4DB /52 % - BER:0 - The signal is 90% stable, but glitches and breaks up, and occasionaly drops completely and comes back again.

whats strange is, the official TIVO box reports 100 signal (in diags \ system info).

I have ordered a powered HDU200 - hopefully this will do the trick...i will replace the first split (in the lounge) with the powered HDU splitter.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I would have tried a cheap £2 6db attenuator first, if the signal is too higher you're just going to make it worse. Also as posted above test the tuner by setting it to DVB-T/T2 and connecting a standard TV aerial, if thats ok then receiver is not faulty.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks can you link me to what you mean. I dont think it's the tuner now as it did start to do it on the vu duo2 but wasnt as prevelant

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I'd suggest F type one, then use a F Type to RF adapter: https://www.google.com/search?q=6db+attenuator&ie=&oe=
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    The powered splitter did the job!! Hdu200. 12 quid. Bargain . Now 92% signal and no breakup on edision

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manikm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (31-08-19),Sicilian (31-08-19),twol (31-08-19)