Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Network problem

Title
    Thanks

Network problem

I don't know if this a hardware or software fault, although software seems more likely.

I have a TM-Twin OE in the living room, with a 2TB hard-disk installed and a Mutant HD1500 in the kitchen using the TM-Twin's hard-disk via my network.

Yesterday, the Mutant couldn't see the Technomate, so I rebooted both and all was well.

Today, it couldn't be seen again, but this time rebooting failed to solve the problem. Investigation showed the TM-Twin setting for the network interface being used being set to "no". I changed the setting from "no" to "yes", saved and on going back into the setting, it showed "no" again. Repeated tries of doing this from the menu and from the wizard failed. Further delving showed that the MAC Address had disappeared and was now 00:00:00:00:00:00.

I had a record of the MAC Address (my home server allocates the same IP addresses to all devices by DHCP, so it is listed there), so I re-entered it and all has been well since.

I can't understand how the MAC Address could just disappear though. Anyone else had this?

SteveW

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    There was a bootloader update to prevent loss of Mac address. it won't be allowed on network without a Mac address.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I assume that it is rare occurrence though, as I've had the box for a number of years without this happening before.