Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Receiver Advice / Recommendations

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    @sonic1 - Swap File? Hope you don’t mean the swap file method that was intended for old less spec receivers, like the Vu+ Solo, Vu+ Duo, TM-Twin etc? If so not needed!
    Yep, I do, the Alien2 is ancient and although does have 128mb x 2, only 128mb is seemingly usable. The joys...

So is 1GB really enough for a bit of future-proofing?

Title
    Thanks
    Apologies for the double post, but I cannot edit my previous post (yet...?).
    Just found this beast that has quad core and 2GB RAM, has anyone any views/opinions on it?
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-plus-duo-4k

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic1 View Post
    Apologies for the double post, but I cannot edit my previous post (yet...?).
    Just found this beast that has quad core and 2GB RAM, has anyone any views/opinions on it?
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-plus-duo-4k
    Great receiver if your happy to spend that amount, but please note with current drivers the CPU from memory runs at lower speed. Iirc around 1.9GHz.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    So IF you want to spend that amount(ish) the GigaBlue 4K‘s would be better (in my view) especially the UE - but note has FBC tuners and DVB-S2x plugin tuner, there are others with legacy tuners that offer great price/performance depending on your real needs
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    ...with current drivers the CPU from memory runs at lower speed. Iirc around 1.9GHz.
    Understood, its a quad core CPU though which is what drew my attention, probably quite overkill lol.
    Might be a bit on the expensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So IF you want to spend that amount(ish) the GigaBlue 4K‘s would be better (in my view) especially the UE - but note has FBC tuners and DVB-S2x plugin tuner, there are others with legacy tuners that offer great price/performance depending on your real needs
    Is this the Gigablue you mean?
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...blue-uhd-ue-4k

I don't believe we have FBC, dish would be 6 years old now, wasn't overly expensive at the time, quad LNB was all I remember, probably DVB-S2 connectors?
    Rather avoid having to replace Sat kit, if possible.
    Didn't think of that until just now hmm, does that change/limit my options much?

The VU+ Duo would be the one to go for if money wasn't an issue, think the Octagon SF8008 is slightly edging it, quad core CPU, twin tuner, Kodi support for down the line and pretty good price.
    Just cannot mount the HDD inside but that certainly is not a deal breaker as that's what we currently have anyways.

Title
    Thanks
    Octagon SF8008 would be a much better option for you than Duo - and Yes thats the box I meant but with your dish etc again SF8008 is best bet.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can use FBC tuners with a universal/regular LNB.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread.

I've been corresponding with my IPTV provider, they've basically said they only support Wooshbuild, which is not available on OpenVix.
    I could run OpenVix but would be on my own for any support issues.

They do support STALKER, but in a really roundabout way.
    Do not support PIP/PAP as I do not have multi-line.

Does that affect my choices with regards box?
    Means SF8008 on OpenATV, is that alright, or are there known issues/caveats?

We have not yet bought, Alien2 was running (surprisingly) extremely well for its age until about 3 weeks ago but now its being a balls.

Title
    Thanks
    Change the provider and free yourself - do you really want to jump when somebody tells you to jump!!............. there are plugins on most of the images that can handle IPTV
    All that the Wooshbuild people do is put a wrapper around the ATV images and say they do all the work - what a joke........ have to say I admire their cheek and ability to manipulate people who are too scared to learn to do it for themselves.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Change the provider and free yourself - do you really want to jump when somebody tells you to jump!!............. there are plugins on most of the images that can handle IPTV
    All that the Wooshbuild people do is put a wrapper around the ATV images and say they do all the work - what a joke........ have to say I admire their cheek and ability to manipulate people who are too scared to learn to do it for themselves.
    Hi Twol,
    Wouldn't say I am scared to do it myself, had to do a fair bit with the Amiko over the years trying to get it running half decent.
    Different images, FTP files to and from box, removing plugins/software/drivers to free up space etc.
    Not a pro, but know enough to do what we need it to do.

This is however my first experience with IPTV sub and just do not know who's good, bad and ugly.
    They have been ok for what we've go out of them though.
    When you try to research online, there is obviously a lot of hush hush going on, posts deleted etc and of course everyone has their own opinion, as well as poor providers spamming posts.

I'm only asking if the SF8008 will still fit the "requirements" laid out by my provider.
    They actually recommended zgemma H7s, even though it is (on paper) lower spec hardware.

Title
    Thanks
    The SF8008 is a great receiver.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Hello All,

Would a SF8008 be better in quality picture and/or flexibility to run addons on OpenVix than the VU+ Zero4K?
    I was interested about the Gigablue trio 4K (as I liked this brand) as the price was good but he has limited E2 images support.

Merci for your insights for my next S2 box.
    grab -o -p /tmp/grab.png #screen grab without the image of the channel you are watching
    grab -d -p /tmp/grab.png #screen grab with the image of the channel you are watching

Title
    Thanks
    The SF8008 is all round a better capability box than the Zero4K
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

XabiX (12-11-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,
    Eventually went with the Octagaon SF8008 twin tuner.

Set up and working well so far, very happy with it, only 2 minor issues (below)
    It would have taken about 6 to 8 hours to set the Amiko up, took about 90 minutes, including flashing latest OpenATV 6.3 image and a half hour channel scan on the SF8008.
    Nice bit of kit, so fast.
    Surprised how small the box really is!

How can we remap the Play button to actually "play"?
    It currently brings up the folder list of recordings, with the on demand stuff we sort of need the actual "play" button.
    Could not change it under the key remap, "play" was not an option.

Cannot record IPTV, it seems to cause the channel stream to drop out less than 2 minutes in.
    Could previously record IPTV on the Amiko
    Satellite is perfect however.
    Any idea what to try?

Thanks for the recommendations and assistance folks, apologies on the many questions I asked!

Title
    Thanks
    Normally cannot watch & record IPTV - better to set up a record timer
    “Play“ button ..... ask ATV??
    Last edited by twol; 14-11-19 at 20:50.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12