Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Receiver Advice / Recommendations

Title
    Thanks

Question New Receiver Advice / Recommendations

Hi Folks,
    Potentially looking to purchase a new receiver, have certain requirements and see endless choices!
    Should note, its for the parents, who aren't tech savvy in any manner.

Existing Setup:
    Currently we are rocking an Amiko Alien2 (dual sat tuner), running OpenATV 6.2 and an IPTV app/addon, box is connected via LAN and has 2 sat feeds input (so we can watch 1 freesat channel whilst recording another), and a USB to Sata SSD disk for the recordings.
    Its 6 years old and after much tinkering through that time, with different images, finally settling on OpenATV (after removing bloatware, got about 37mb flash free now woo lmao!), it actually runs moderately well considering it wasn't exactly high spec to begin with...

With above in mind, we are therefore looking a box that fills below requirements:

- Can watch 1 freesat channel whilst recording another
    - Probably run OpenATV (as this is what the parents are now used to, or if there is a similar / simpler GUI on different OS that would be grand, suggestions welcome )
    - Can run IPTV app (not sure if allowed to mention app names...)
    - Supports 4K (no immediate need but want the availability)
    - Decent aftermarket support for the box (Amiko isn't great, not a popular device here...)
    - Decent hardware spec that it will stand up after a bit of time (eg CPU/RAM, due to experience in other areas, I know spending a bit more can mean you don't get a machine that's doogpoo after 6-12 months...)

Is Android or Enigma2 the way to go?

Certain crowd recommended Formuler boxes, but after speaking to their pre-sales support, nothing fully fits the bill, they suggested S mini or S turbo (which only have single tuners).

No budget yet in mind, maybe around £150-200ish?
    If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Hopefully someone can assist, thanks in advance!

Regards,
    S

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I’d personally look at the twin version of the Octagon SF8008 >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...f8008-twin-s2x and use a class 10 microSD card for storage/recordings. I have a 256gb one installed at present.
    Also this might be of interest too as this can take an internal HDD for storage if that was your preference, the Zgemma H7S Combo >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...mma/zgemma-h7s

Both can run Kodi 17.6 and also both have the excellent Stalker for your IPTV needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

fevgatos (07-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Also forgot to add, I’d use the OpenViX image as imo best image by a country mile, will be a better GUI experience for your parents too.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

cactikid (06-08-19),lespat (02-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I agree Andy_Hazza, I took the plunge on an upgrade and bought the Zgemma H7s with integral HDD and never looked back. It is quick and with 3 tuners I can record any number of programs (8 max) in particular the freeview HD main channels 1-5 because they are all on the same frequency. I would go for Openvix, tried most of the others but for me, vix is the best.

Forgot to mention, all for £160 ish. Brilliant.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lespat For This Useful Post:

ade1970 (04-08-19),Andy_Hazza (02-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Agree! The H7 has a good reputation, solid with good features.
    Octagon SF8008 - excellent and they keep on adding updates - but your parents are probably not wanting to know about updates/upgrades/flashing etc!!

Also OpenATV originally came out of OpenViX, so your parents should be fine with ViX‘s menu structure - and its still a lot cleaner than the ATV structure where they seem to have duplexed everything.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (02-08-19),lespat (02-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was instructed to use OpenATV/WB for the iptv plugin but maybe it is available on OpenVix too, have to do some research there.
    Is OpenVix faster, and uses less flash than OpenATV?
    (Might consider reflashing existing box....lol)

I haven't come across Octagon before, are they well supported?
    Was looking at the ZGemma, they seem to have a decent support.

Is 1GB RAM really enough for a little future-proofing?
    Quad core CPU does sound to be the way to go, over a dual core.

Heard the Vu+ boxes were the mutts nuts a few years ago, is that still the case?
    Ignoring the budget for the moment, are there better options if we spend a bit more?

Regards,
    S

Title
    Thanks
    In addition, I discovered a feature that if you have more than 1 image on on the multiboot feature, when I change to another image (albeit another Openvix) I can choose to go for mode 12 which then offers PiP (picture in picture) option which can also be useful in following something on another channel. Just saying.

Just seen the last post and I would say that anything else would have to be good to make me change, this zgemma H7s does a lot more than I ever imagined, and I have only scratched the surface.
    Last edited by lespat; 02-08-19 at 09:39.

Title
    Thanks
    OpenViX Image not available for the Amiko Alien 2, so not an option for you. Yeah the OpenViX is way less bloated than other images!

Title
    Thanks
    Correct the Vu+ is a premium receiver, great quality, great remote, but in all honesty shocking support with regards drivers etc. The Vu+ (4K receivers) has the Stalker app for your IPTV needs. I was going to say look at the Gigablue 4K range, but don’t think that supports Stalker!?! Someone may correct me on this though!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was instructed to use OpenATV/WB for the iptv plugin but maybe it is available on OpenVix too, have to do some research there.
    Is OpenVix faster, and uses less flash than OpenATV?
    (Might consider reflashing existing box....lol)

I haven't come across Octagon before, are they well supported?
    Was looking at the ZGemma, they seem to have a decent support.

Is 1GB RAM really enough for a little future-proofing?
    Quad core CPU does sound to be the way to go, over a dual core.

Heard the Vu+ boxes were the mutts nuts a few years ago, is that still the case?
    Ignoring the budget for the moment, are there better options if we spend a bit more?

Regards,
    S
    "I was instructed to use OpenATV/WB for the iptv plugin but maybe it is available on OpenVix too, have to do some research there." - excuse my ignorance whats WB???
    When you are instructed to do something - you should question - Why!
    An image is usually a personal choice - but they all basically do the same thing - but offer a few different options - personally I am always confused by OpenATV's various buttons that end up with the same choice.

"I haven't come across Octagon before, are they well supported?" - Yes (German company)- irritatingly so in terms of continuous marketing updates - but they continue to add receiver functionality on latest receiver(SF8008).

"Was looking at the ZGemma, they seem to have a decent support." - Yes - have to say great price/performance

"Is 1GB RAM really enough for a little future-proofing?" - if you are into Kodi etc then check out what the receiver actually offers in flash once loaded with the image.

"Vu+" - quality product at a price, 1st to offer some good hardware and features (like FBC tuners) but gone quiet with the likes of Zgemma and their prices (see Andy I can be nice about Vu+!!)
    Last edited by twol; 02-08-19 at 10:45.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks

New Receiver Advice / Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    "I was instructed to use OpenATV/WB for the iptv plugin but maybe it is available on OpenVix too, have to do some research there." - excuse my ignorance whats WB???
    When you are instructed to do something - you should question - Why!
    An image is usually a personal choice - but they all basically do the same thing - but offer a few different options - personally I am always confused by OpenATV's various buttons that end up with the same choice.

"I haven't come across Octagon before, are they well supported?" - Yes (German company)- irritatingly so in terms of continuous marketing updates - but they continue to add receiver functionality on latest receiver(SF8008).

"Was looking at the ZGemma, they seem to have a decent support." - Yes - have to say great price/performance

"Is 1GB RAM really enough for a little future-proofing?" - if you are into Kodi etc then check out what the receiver actually offers in flash once loaded with the image.

"Vu+" - quality product at a price, 1st to offer some good hardware and features (like FBC tuners) but gone quiet with the likes of Zgemma and their prices (see Andy I can be nice about Vu+!!)
    WB >> WoooooooshBuild I bet.
    @twol, I’ve given an honest opinion about Vu+ too.... you’ll be impressed!! haha

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    WB >> WoooooooshBuild I bet.
    @twol, I’ve given an honest opinion about Vu+ too.... you’ll be impressed!! haha

I was amazed..... and I am sure you are correct about WB -
    Last edited by twol; 02-08-19 at 11:17.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I was amazed..... and I am sure you are correct about WB -
    Yep, he is correct.
    I'm trying not to list names in event it breaks a forum rules, did read them but its not clear in my view on iptv plugins being mentioned lol.

Kodi isn't really on the radar currently, did use it on a MiniPC a few years ago but sources seemed to dry up.
    Stalker isn't the IPTV plugin we are using at the moment, can i just log into stalker with given account and work away?

Vu+ looks interesting with the 2GB RAM, but notice is it dual core CPU.

Is there anything that has quad core and 2GB RAM?
    (Filter would be nice on the products page )

SATA would be nice, tidier setup, see the ZGemma and Gigablue have option to mount inside
    Suppose as I'm using an SSD at the moment, and if intended device has SATA with 1GB RAM, the swapfile would still be pretty darn quick compared to current SATA over USB 2.0 (if it was ever to be used anyway).

Title
    Thanks
    @sonic1 - Swap File? Hope you don’t mean the swap file method that was intended for old less spec receivers, like the Vu+ Solo, Vu+ Duo, TM-Twin etc? If so not needed!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

cactikid (06-08-19),ronand (02-08-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the RAM - 1Gb is plenty. I have an SF8008 and its fast - its in a completely different league to the doorstop that you have at the moment. It has 8Gb flash memory and we don't use swap files any more either. Come to think of it I haven't used a swap file since an Azbox HD (but that's a long time ago). For the price an SF8008 or one of the zgemmas cant be beaten. There is no particular benefit in using a SSD drive - just get a large 2.5" HDD to have loads of recording space.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

kashif (26-11-19)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast