Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: CI+ CAMs usage in UK

Title
    Thanks

Post CI+ CAMs usage in UK

Hello,

I have been reading around a bit to make my CI+ CAM work with OpenViX. It seems to me the CI+ CAMs (and CAMs in general) are rarely used in the UK (I'm not located in the UK). Is this indeed the case? None of DVB-S/C/T services make use of CAMs? Are closed boxes sold for all the services? I know this is the case with the Sky UK service, but wondering about others.

Regards
    Last edited by MeanMachine; 21-07-19 at 08:37.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It may well be what encryption is used on that sat and what is needed and if it works on your box
    Some boxes have their own official Smarcam like this.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ted-Smart-Card

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...rk-in-a-Vu-box

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

MeanMachine (21-07-19)

Title
    Thanks

Smile

Thanks for the reply @cactikid. Perhaps I was not clear in my first post. I'm just curious about the usage of CI+ CAMs in the UK for DVB-S/T/C services. I was wondering whether any service providers in the UK make use of CI+ CAMs at all. Can people from the UK shed some light?
    Last edited by MeanMachine; 21-07-19 at 09:20.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    We have saorview in ireland and not encrypted via aerial on roof or if close enough indoor aerial.
    Uk has freeview not encrypted via aerial on roof.
    Sat in Uk or Irl On 28.2 need to have a provider box and card to view all channels as Sky implemented years ago a way to stop any other box from using loads of channels now gone dark.

Freesat in Uk and Irl has about 100 + viewable channels no cams needed but depends on your location with the smaller sat beam footprint if outside that area a bigger dish maybe needed.
    Hopefully that helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

MeanMachine (21-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    None of the pay-TV providers like Virgin, BT etc. provide CAMs to be used in iDTVs?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I remember asking that years ago with the slots on tv and told no then.
    I would imagine you have to have a package from them and a box to use their services,but i could be wrong as things are changing all the time and services by internet routes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

MeanMachine (21-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    That means every provider flouts the law if I understand it correctly. Why do majority of the people lash out only at Sky and not others as often?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    From years ago it was analogue tv and to upgrade to sky+hd was great with their box and using hdmi picture and sound improved.With all that is going on and rising prices every few years it got too pricey for many of us and then the quality of hd was not as good.Upgrade to new sky q for a better experience but i dont have a 4k tv.
    In the last number of years monthly fees got too much and people said enough was enough.Other suppliers came along virgin bt and others but have to be in their area to receive their service.
    More people possibly had sat than other services so maybe thats why they get more of a backlash,other services could also issues that we dont hear about but will in the future of change.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

MeanMachine (21-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
    None of the pay-TV providers like Virgin, BT etc. provide CAMs to be used in iDTVs?
    Nope, despite it being a requirement to provide a CAM and card and for receivers to have a PCMCIA slot. The old Sky ones used to have it round the back blanked off and now they don't bother. It's crap and stifled competition for both receivers and TV providers and allowed Sky to monopolise the encryption in the UK.
    There's a lot of things the TV lobbies have done to influence politicians in their direction in all EU countries to stop proper competition, so this isn't a big surprise I guess.
    However, thanks to a Portsmouth pub owner case law in the UK means that the rights to receive goods and services from any EU nation in any other means that Sky couldn't stop them showing Greek TV in the pub... with football matches on it. (Obviously soon that right will evaporate) and that means watching EU TV with a paid for subscription can be done without harassment. I don't know if the UK example means it gets applied across the EU but it probably makes a precedent that people in other states can point to and shows that the law is intended to protect citizens and allow choice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Amnesiac For This Useful Post:

MeanMachine (22-07-19)