Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can't get 5ghz on Realtek RTL8812AU usb dongle

Title
    Thanks

Can't get 5ghz on Realtek RTL8812AU usb dongle

I have a Zero4k and have been unable to get 5ghz working on a usb dongle that I specifically bought so that I could get 5ghz on my zero4k. I have managed to get the device working but only on 2.4ghz, and it does show up in network as an 8812AU device so it seems to be using a driver which is the correct one for the chipset. However there are no options anywhere related to 2ghz or 5ghz in the openvix networking interface, scanning networks only ever shows the 2.4ghz networks. I know the device can do 5ghz 802.11AC (amazon link below to the device and specs) so I am guessing I need to get a different driver to get 5ghz working on openvix?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-SuperSp.../dp/B015Z8EWGY

Been trying to google it for ages but have not found any answers and its driving me mad as I only bought it for 5ghz, I already had an old 2ghz dongle.

Title
    Thanks
    I did find this which might be a newer/better driver but cannot figure out how to install it, openvix does not seem to have sudo which is needed to install these things. Although openvix is using kernel 3.13.5 according to my information>about menu, so I guess this driver might not work anyway if its for 4.3.8.

https://github.com/meoow/rtl8812au-dkms

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Some devices bought may not be supported by drivers so may not work for you yet,if it lists your chipset it should work when downloaded and box rebooted.
    Sometimes newer images may have latest drivers.
    Last edited by cactikid; 14-07-19 at 12:14.

Title
    Thanks
    I think I may have solved it, it seems it doesn't like channel numbers in the higher end of the spectrum (over 100). I have selected 44 and it has now found it!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    The receiver manufacturer defines the kernel being used.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewokuk View Post
    I think I may have solved it, it seems it doesn't like channel numbers in the higher end of the spectrum (over 100). I have selected 44 and it has now found it!
    That's a issue with where it thinks you are and how the channel is set.
    See, e.g.:

Code:
    https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/wifi-ieee-802-11/channels-frequencies-bands-bandwidth.php
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD