Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimo4k not booting

Title
    Thanks
    hello again, right then, new usbs arrived and i can flash first time every time now. Good start. So box is flashed with latest image 44 and nothing else but whenever I connect a powered hard drive - either via the internal connectors or via usb front or back the machine immediately reboots itself and goes into a loop. There are no crash logs. it will then only boot when I disconnect the drive. I have tried with a 250gb ssd both in a caddy via usb and direct internally and same thing with a 500gb 2.5 inch spinning disk. I can here a clicking sound from the powered drive. Exact same result. To me this seems like a problem with the power provided to the drive. A usb stick inserted front or back mounts as /media/hdd no problem.
    Any further ideas please ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    You need to add a usb stick and assign the usb for the debug/crash logs ... it could be that it is unable to write a log in the current situation with the HDD‘s.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Timmo65 (12-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    This does appear to be a hardware/power issue, so I don't think it is image related at all.
    Every time I attach any type of unpowered drive (bar usb sticks) I get a reboot and then it will not come up until the drive is removed. I have put a ticket in with Vu but I am not expecting much. I guess I have a few work arounds, not using an internal drive at all and re-route to a NAS or the original 4tb in my duo2. I am looking to still use an internal sata connected drive and I am awaiting delivery of an adapter to power it externally. I might just have a flash of a completely different image just to make 100% sure but I am fairly sure now its not software related. Has anyone seen this behaviour before ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I have the Ultimo 4K receiver with a 4TB Red WD HDD and never come across this issue. It has worked flawlessly from day 1 of purchasing it from WoS.
    Raise a Ticked with WoS and they will be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have the ultimo 4k too and i have not had any problem like the one you have.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I have the Ultimo 4K receiver with a 4TB Red WD HDD and never come across this issue. It has worked flawlessly from day 1 of purchasing it from WoS.
    Raise a Ticked with WoS and they will be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,
    I did raise a ticket with them and they tried to be as jelpful as they could but I did not purchase from them so fair enough. Everything they suggested we had already tried. I have raised a ticket with Vu direct but I have no idea what their support is like.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Timmo65 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (12-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    It's going further down hill.... I cant even flash now. Formatted usb (kingston 8gb) and others in front or back - i get the splash screen and the update hit power - it then does a few....updating, reading usb, continuing, flashing image but reboots at varying times during those steps but never gets further. This is with latest vix , and old vix and a blackhole, reformatting each time, extracting the update on the usb itself and ejecting from pc. I have taken everything out now including tuners.
    Am i flogging a dead or dying horse ?

Title
    Thanks
    FIXED !

After taking everything out there was only one more thing I could feasibly check and perhaps it should have been the first. I bought this second hand 2 years ago and didnt think to check the power adapter. It appears I was using a non original one (after checking some unboxing videos). Also checking the manual and the back of the box it says 12v 5a. The adapter I was using was 12v 2a. I swapped this out for a 5a and bingo all good. I have no idea how it worked fine for so long and then just only partially played ball.
    Thanks for all the (wasted) time spent trying to help me out

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timmo65 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (13-07-19),Sicilian (14-07-19),twol (13-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Do you have any way of measuring the actual power consumption of the adapter when the VU is connected? A 60W power supply seems a bit excessive in this day and age. Most boxes don't draw more than 2A (24W if using 12V PSU) with everything powered up. However, maybe the 2A PSU you were using couldn't actually supply the specified/required current?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, no I can’t measure it but I think maybe your last point is more likely that the adapter had a fault. I looked today on wos site and the adapters being sold with the uk plug adapter look like the one I was using so maybe it was the correct original one but just had a fault.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12