Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connect to receiver without router

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks fat-tony, I ordered a straight thro cable yesterday and now a crossover cable today so will have to see what works when they arrive. Thanks for the info!

clivejo
    If there is no way to run a cable between them (ie without boring holes and routing cables through your home) you could maybe look at Home Plug ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug ) technology. This tech uses two or more "wall warts" which send the data over your existing mains cabling. It is slower than direct cable, but can be faster and more stable than WiFi which suffers from weak spots and interference.

This is a link to a HomePlug product, I am in no way recommending this product, just an example of what it is - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you clivejo, they look very interesting and could be used later when connecting between rooms. My immediate need is for a wired (LAN) connection between box and laptop for DCC or channelizer for file transferring etc., because of my unpredictable wifi connection/set between the 2. When I can connect via wifi between the two it is perfect but can't be guaranteed.

Title
    Thanks
    Patch and crossover LAN cables arrived. Setup as suggested and have connection between laptop and stb (showing green link bars on DCC). Either cable will work but the problem is that DCC won't or can't show any files or folders in left screen for for the flash/hdd. Telnet commands work e.g. init 4 then init 3 so there is communication happening. Any ideas please?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    DCC uses a gateway (router).

Try Filezilla, FlashXP, WinSCP or similar

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I'm not familiar with DCC - it seems to be a form of IRC transfer. Have you used it when you were on WiFi? I would normally use FileZilla to transfer files between the box and my PC. The FTP port is available on the box by default as it's running a server - maybe IRC is not? Other things to ensure is that you have the correct IP address of the box configured and the correct user (root) and a blank password set in DCC (or FileZilla).

- sorry abu - didn't spot your post!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Dreambox Control Centre works fine on wifi on my Zgemma H7s and used to work on the old box but now can't get it to work with my Mutant 11HD hence the attempt to connect by LAN cable. Wondering if a glitch has occurred on the box because when the Mutant has wifi dongle and HDMI cable in, the picture keeps blinking off and on? If I use A/V cable or HDMI with no wifi dongle in, no problem! A/V cable with wifi dongle in, no problem with picture but wifi doesn't work. I haven't mastered filezilla but I tried to DreamboxEdit and E-chanelizer and they wouldn't/couldn't read the box.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Have you tried installing samba in network menu? I just use windows file explorer and goto network and I can see my box just like I can see other devices ie. Laptops, pc and TV. I don't need to use FTP programs

Title
    Thanks
    "Have you tried installing samba in network menu?".Samba would be a new venture for me but willing to give it a go. Read about it but don't have a clue what it is exactly? Would need some guidance on that please?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There's not much of a tutorial in network menu, utilities choose samba it should install once installed see if you can see your box on pc/laptop in network

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Look at the diagram for DCC showing connections. It will be easier to understand it that way.

Some pepple had issues connecting with DCC and had to use a specific version. Maybe that is at play too.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks, will give it go! Oh just remembered, I can't get on to the internet for plugin downloads with this box. Is there somewhere I could download an IPK file for Samba?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    DCC v1.41 can be used without router and choose direct crossover cable.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-07-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's what I always do but on this box, it just doen't want to read the box? i.e. blank panel where the /etc folder usually shows! Everything works fine on the other box.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lespat View Post
    Thanks, will give it go! Oh just remembered, I can't get on to the internet for plugin downloads with this box. Is there somewhere I could download an IPK file for Samba?
    Samba should be further down on your list of priorities. Get basic file transfer working first. Dreambox Control Centre has telnet and ftp client so should work with the box standard software. (The DCC abbreviation meant something different to me as I have never used Dreambox CC). I think you have some basic IP mis-configuration or are missing user/password info. What IP addresses are you using for the PC and the box?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast