Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connect to receiver without router

Title
    Thanks

Connect to receiver without router

This may be elementary to some but I need guidance. My wifi connection between STB (Zgemma H7s - openvix) and laptop (windows 8) is unpredictable. How do I connect between the two with a LAN cable and which cable do I need? Is there some setup procedure to make them talk to each other? Is there a guide somewhere? Search didn't find anything.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You would use ethernet cable from your laptop to the router and you would use an ethernet cable from your Zgemma to your router. I always say hardwired is best as Wifi is temperamental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, but I don't have a router or broadband (only wifi/data hotspot on phone) so was looking for a direct connection to laptop if possible.

Title
    Thanks
    Anyone advise please!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    So why don_t you connect to the phone????
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    https://www.google.com/search?client...hone+to+laptop

better off getting a bb service as would that not put a greater strain on phone using laptop and boxes.

Title
    Thanks
    twol - at the moment, when I connect to the laptop via wifi, I can connect to the internet - no problem. The difficulty is getting connection to the laptop in the first instance as the settings seem to keep changing so was looking for a wired connection solution just for when I want to ftp/make changes to the box?

cactikid - a bb service would not help me most of the time as we travel around Europe in a motorhome for a good portion of the year For our purposes, the phone data connection to the rest of the world 9internet) works perfectly. Were you suggesting I could use the phone as a router?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    You can now buy small boxes that work with a virtual sim that can be used in most countries in the world that act a router wherever you maybe - the sim charges are also lower.
    My wife has one for her business travels and we have tested it in UK, Germany, France, Italy, South Africa and works well whether you are in a hotel or business conference etc so should be fine for you.
    You just login to the box and away you go..
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

cactikid (29-06-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks, will explore further.

Title
    Thanks
    do you have ethernet connector on both devices ?
    If so use a cross over cable and put your pc eth interface on 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.2 .Put the box on 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 .Now both devices should be connected.
    No need for extra boxes between them.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    If so use a cross over cable and put your pc eth interface on 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.2 .Put the box on 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 .Now both devices should be connected.
    No need for extra boxes between them.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/conne...mputer-on-lan/
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (29-06-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellejt View Post
    If so use a cross over cable...
    Some Ethernet devices can auto-detect what to do and hence can work without a crossover cable.

Code:
    https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9a4SAC
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @twol's suggestion is the easiest solution - the various mobile service providers all offer SIM-based devices which can act as WiFi routers, automatically managing IP addresses which saves all the hassle of setting up device and gateway addresses manually. Some have ethernet ports which you can extend with simple hubs (if needed) giving you hard-wired options. Just google "mobile broadband".
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (29-06-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Both devices, laptop and STB have ethernet sockets. Looks like there is a simple solution to to any situation I may have. A simple cable connection via a crossover cable when internet is not required to a SIM-based hub/router for when internet is needed.

In its simplistic form, the suggestion by bellejt is was I thought would help me just getting to be able to FTP to and from the STB . Just need a cross over cable now. I will look at the other options also.

Still learning about all this interconnectivity, you're all helping a lot.

Thanks again all!
    Last edited by lespat; 29-06-19 at 13:02.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lespat View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Both devices, laptop and STB have ethernet sockets. Looks like there is a simple solution to to any situation I may have. A simple cable connection via a crossover cable when internet is not required to a SIM-based hub/router for when internet is needed.

In its simplistic form, the suggestion by bellejt is was I thought would help me just getting to be able to FTP to and from the STB . Just need a cross over cable now. I will look at the other options also.

Still learning about all this interconnectivity, you're all helping a lot.

Thanks again all!
    You may not need a crossover cable. Modern ethernet cards are able to detect a connection using a straight through cable. What you must have, though, is compatible IP addresses in both devices as per @bellejt's post. A router would simplify the allocation of addresses if you use DHCP, but if you're comfortable with assigning your own, then go for it!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast