Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for information on SaorSat

clivejo

Looking for information on SaorSat

I used to have a Sky subscription and being based in Northern Ireland was able to watch RTÉ channels, I can see the channels have been scanned and detected in my channel list, and also see the EPG for the channels. However, when I zap to the channels, they are just black screen. Are they encoded/scrambled? I was told they are free to view channels and are on Saorsat for free, so why can't I view them using my OpenVIX box?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Saorsat is on 10e and you need their LNB and a dish/LNB pointing to it.

The RTE channels on 28.2 are not free. Pretty sure you can only watch them on 28.2 using a receiver from the provider.

clivejo
    So I would need a Sky subscription to decode them? Would a FreeSat from Sky viewing card decode the RTE channels? Available from here - https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home for one off fee of £25

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Nope. Only a Sky Ireland sub will get them on 28e. I'm pretty sure that NI subscribers can get them too but they are not available to mainland UK. Saorsat refers to the Ka-band offering on 9E. Its only 5 channels and you need a Ka band lnb with circular polarization. Depending on your location you may be able to receive the terrestrial signal with a UHF antenna - there is plenty of overspill across the border.

Code:
    flysat.com/ekasat9a.php
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Are you too far away to use saorview via cable/terrestrial tuner via aerial?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    The RTE channels on 28.2 are not free. Pretty sure you can only watch them on 28.2 using a receiver from the provider.
    Just double checked, encrypted channels on the transponder got locked to the provider's receiver on 25th April 2017. You cannot view those services on your Enigma2 receiver.

clivejo
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Are you too far away to use saorview via cable/terrestrial tuner via aerial?
    I live in a black spot for TV/mobile(cell)/internet etc Terrestrial signal would mean erecting an external antenna on a tower.

I have a Sky viewing card which when last used could view RTE channels when used in a Sky box, but it has been a while since I used it. I tried it in my ZGemma H7S earlier and doesn't seem to do anything, does the view card reader work "out of the box" or do I have to install drivers, extensions to make use of it?

PS Is there an IRC channel or a Media Wiki type site for OpenVIX ?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    RTE channels on the Sky platform can only be viewed using an official receiver even with the correct viewing card.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Looking for information on SaorSat

Quote Originally Posted by mopakarim8000 View Post
    I used to have a Sky subscription and being based in Northern Ireland was able to watch RTÉ channels, I can see the channels have been scanned and detected in my channel list, and also see the EPG for the channels. However, when I zap to the channels, they are just black screen. Are they encoded/scrambled? I was told they are free to view channels and are on Saorsat for free, so why can't I view them using my OpenVIX box?
    As @ronand said, you need an official receiver with viewing card to be able to view those channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    They are not free to view on Astra 28e - you need a Sky sub and an official receiver. They are FTA on Saorsat 9e but you need a special lnb for Ka-band.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Found an old thread and wondered if that was working and give others some viewing pleasure.?

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-Demand-plugin

clivejo
    I installed the OnDemand plugin from the Vix feed, and it has the option to have RTE player, but none of them seem to work

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think that was answered on another thread as not supported anymore

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...d-plugin/page4

Maybe other means possible?

https://www.samsung.com/ie/news/loca...r-on-smart-tv/

https://www.rte.ie/playerinternational/
    Last edited by cactikid; 28-06-19 at 00:44.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I cant see many going for saorsat for a few channels and maybe other ways of viewing by choice.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    They are only there to guarantee 100% coverage of Ireland for those unable to get DTT coverage. Only RTE channels are there as they have a public service obligation. The (few) commercial channels wont spend the money to broadcast on Saorsat. I believe that Sky actually pay RTE and Virgin to carry their channels on 28e as it is a big selling point to those with no existing antenna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast