Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power down a USB port when user puts box in Standby?

clivejo
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Why not power everything off when you're not using them? That's what I've done for hundreds of years, and think of the extra power you'll be saving.
    That defeats the point of having the box. The main purpose of purchasing this box is to record programmes for watching later, therefore it needs to be able to power up and react to timers whenever needed. It also eliminates the need to have multiple remote controls to turn on and off other devices (ie the TV, speakers, DVD, lighting) as they all turn off when the box turns off power to the USB port.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    My "box" wakes up from deep standby and records everything I want to watch at a later date.

It records in standby. I switch on the telly if I want to watch something, and switch on the lighting when it gets dark.

And if I (very rarely) need the dvd player, I switch it on.

And I use a harmony remote to control everything, although I still tell it everything is already powered on so it doesn't need to get involved at all.

Maybe connect your power saving device to the tv instead, it might get closer to what you want to achieve.

Sorry, it's been a long day...….

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (29-05-19)

clivejo
    So I ended up purchasing a Ecotek Standby Saver 6-Way Socket and programmed it to turn on/off the power when it detects when I press the standby button. Seems to be working and lets me away with using one remote to control everything.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Is you receiver connected to this socket?
    If so, does it shut down (deep standby) properly before power is cut?

clivejo
    There are two "special" sockets and four regular. The two have switches on them allowing you to choose always on or switched. I have the ZGemma plugged into one and have it always powered.

Now when I press the power/standby on the remote it also toggles the power to the other devices (TV, DVD, lights, and other stuff only used when the TV is on).

Seems to do the job nicely and only need one remote.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clivejo For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (31-05-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12