Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power down a USB port when user puts box in Standby?

clivejo

Power down a USB port when user puts box in Standby?

I have a power saving device which plugs into a USB port and switches on the power extension bar when it sees power on the USB port. Also when the USB port is unplugged or powered down the extension bar shuts down too. This worked great with old equipment as is powered off the TV, DVD and other peripherals when the satellite box was put in standby.

Is there any way to do this with the Zgemma H7S? Id like some way to put the TV in standby or powered off when the Zgemma H7S has been.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    What happens when you put it into deep standby?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

clivejo
    But I don't want it powering up the TV, DVD, side lights, and other peripherals when the satellite receiver wakes to process a timer.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Never heard of that one before but asking how long did you wait to see if it shuts down on standby?

clivejo
    It doesn't seem to switch off at all when the box is in standby, maybe this is because I have a lot of timers keeping the box awake. Putting the box into deep standby does work, but then the box wakes up to process a timer it also seems to power up the USB ports, which in turn turns the power on to the TV, DVD, lights, etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clivejo For This Useful Post:

cactikid (26-05-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ON and STANDBY modes are almost identical except there is no display output when in standby. In deep standby almost all of the receiver is switched off except for the timer.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clivejo View Post
    It doesn't seem to switch off at all when the box is in standby,
    As noted elsewhere, this is to be expected. The box is still running - you can login to for a start.
    So the USB ports will be powered up, And they will power up as soon as the box is powered up from any state in which they are not powered up (which is just Deep Standby or Off - as in no power to the box at all.

What event would be like to power up the USB port?

PS. It might be easier just to switch the TV on/off yourself...along with any auto-off functionality they have.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

clivejo
    I was wondering if I could unbind the USB port when the standby button is pressed on the remote.

/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind

and then bind it again when the remote brings the receiver back from standby.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    The only way is to try it....
    //https://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

.... but probably easier to use Birdmans suggestion!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    I was wondering if I could unbind the USB port when the standby button is pressed on the remote
    Which will be of no help when the system wakes up from a Deep Standby.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    I was wondering if I could unbind the USB port when the standby button is pressed on the remote.

/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind

and then bind it again when the remote brings the receiver back from standby.
    I'd expect the power to be provided (by default) by the hardware rather than any software driver.

clivejo
    It depends on the hub, some can control it on a port by port bases. This is a utility I have used on a RaspberryPi - https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl

Title
    Thanks
    It depends on the hub, some can control it on a port by port bases. This is a utility I have used on a RaspberryPi - https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl
    But the box has to power up first, and when it does that the port will be active and have power.
    I can't see it being able to boot up from scratch knowing not to power anything up....

clivejo
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    But the box has to power up first, and when it does that the port will be active and have power.
    I can't see it being able to boot up from scratch knowing not to power anything up....
    Yes, that is fine. The energy saver extension block needs to sense power at the USB port to switch on the rest of the sockets. What I wanted to do was to kill the power to the USB ports when the box goes into standby, therefore turning off the power to the other devices.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    … trouble is, usb tuners and usb drives need to be on in standby, so it all gets very complicated.

Why not power everything off when you're not using them? That's what I've done for hundreds of years, and think of the extra power you'll be saving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast