Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octagon SF8008 - Network not start after power failure

Title
    Thanks

Octagon SF8008 - Network not start after power failure

I have Octagon SF8008 witch came with openatv 6.2. I conected it to the internet with LAN interface because of the 1000 speed.

NO 1 PROBLEM:

Everything works ok but even if the receiver is ON or in standby, after a power failure, or if I remove it from the socket, the network does NOT start! It appears: "use adapter" set to "no". If I try to set to "yes" the receiver does not keep the setting and it reverts back to "off". All I have to do is "restart network" and then everything works ok.
    I have reflash the receiver with Octagon SF8008. I did the test again, I got the receiver from the socket when it was on or in standby, the same problem: the network does NOT start!

The same thing happening with wifi interface. Manually using the network for stream and it's bothering me that I have to come home to the "restart network" manually. Strengthen thing, even when the network does not start, the flashing LEDs of the LAN adapter works.

I made a short video to show you how to change LAN adapters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mdX...YvrG1jNDy/view

I made a short video to show you how to change LAN and WiFi adapters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZJ...u1te1w4ft/view

As you saw in the videos, the IP of the receiver is set manually: dhcp for wifi and no dhcp for lan. The problem it's the same.

NO 2 PROBLEM:

When I change channels the picture is in slow motion for about 2 seconds.
    This happen all the time. I made a short video to show you:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9L...ExfVykzKn/view

NO 3 PROBLEM:

I do not know really if it is a problem. A question maybe:

- The read speed for FTP with HDD in USB 3.0 is 70 - 90 MB / s
    - the write speed for FTP with HDD in USB 3.0 is 28 - 34 MB / s

- The read speed for FTP with HDD in USB 2.0 is 35 - 40 MB / s
    - the write speed for FTP with HDD in USB 2.0 is 28 - 34 MB / s

As you see the write speed is the same on both ports. On the USB 3.0 should not be a higher write speed?

Thank you very much ! I'll wait for your answer!

PS: The NO 1 PROBLEM it's the most important !

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myhaycracyun View Post
    I made a short video to show you how to change LAN adapters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mdX...YvrG1jNDy/view
    Did you actually Save the configuration (by pressing the Green button)?

Also - don't switch the box off just by pulling the plug out of the power socket.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, I saved ! You can see in the video.

I plug out of socket because I wanted to simulate a power failure. As I said in thread my problem appear when it is a power failure, when power goes of.
    Also, even if I close the power button from the back of the receiver, when the receiver is on or in stand by, the network have the same problem.
    Last edited by myhaycracyun; 24-05-19 at 20:21.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    As birdman says do not switch off like that - you can cause permanent hardware damage. If you are having power outages regularly then use a UPS to protect your receiver.
    As regards the second problem that seems to be an issue with all receivers with hisilicon chipsets and can only be fixed by Huawei (if at all).
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    As birdman says do not switch off like that - you can cause permanent hardware damage. If you are having power outages regularly then use a UPS to protect your receiver.
    As regards the second problem that seems to be an issue with all receivers with hisilicon chipsets and can only be fixed by Huawei (if at all).
    Your Octagon have the same problem ?

I understand with second problem. I hope they will do something.
    About first problem I have to do the test to see When and Why the network was not start. Now I know. But I saw other boxes that after power failure reverts to the state that was before with no problem. It a just Octagon that have this problem ? These boxes are not good ?
    Last edited by myhaycracyun; 24-05-19 at 22:47.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, I saved ! You can see in the video.
    Well, I can't see what you pressed, which is why I asked.
    I plug out of socket because I wanted to simulate a power failure. As I said in thread my problem appear when it is a power failure, when power goes of.
    Configure the network, then reboot the box using the reboot option in the system menu. See what happens when it restarts.
    Also, even if I close the power button from the back of the receiver, when the receiver is on or in stand by, the network have the same problem.
    You shouldn't do that either! You must shut down (from the system menus) before removing power.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    "Well, I can't see what you pressed, which is why I asked"
    No problem ! I saved all the time !

Configure the network, then reboot the box using the reboot option in the system menu. See what happens when it restarts.

I will make a short brief :

"Configure the network, then reboot the box using the reboot option in the system menu. See what happens when it restarts."

0. The receiver works ok. It have a new openatv 6.2 image from 2019.05.23.
    1. The receiver is in Stand By mode or it is ON
    2. If a have a power failure (power goes off from the grid) the receiver reboots in the state that was before (Stand By or ON)
    3. If I want to use the receiver the network does not start ! Adapter is set to OFF
    4. If I try to set the adapter to ON and Save, the receiver is setting back to OFF
    5. The only thing that I can do is to "restart network". Like in the video that i ve posted
    6.After the "restart network" everything it' OK !

Clarifications:

"You shouldn't do that either! You must shut down (from the system menus) before removing power."

I ve made the test with plug out or to shut down from the button while the receiver is ON or in Stand By JUST to simulate a power failure to ASSURE when the problem APPEAR ! I DO NOT DO THIS all the time. Was just a test to show you on the forum what happen to my receiver when it lost power.
    It is annoing for me to do "restart network" all the time.
    I will put an UPS in the future, but it bothering me that this porblem appears only to my Octagon sf8008. I have a friend with VU who doesn't have this problem after a power failure.
    I belive it is not a hardware problem, just a software one.
    What do you think ?

"As regards the second problem that seems to be an issue with all receivers with hisilicon chipsets and can only be fixed by Huawei"

I hope that they will do something.
    Last edited by myhaycracyun; 25-05-19 at 08:26.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Lets get serious here!
    1) the main issue here is the supply of power - the solution is to install a UPS.
    2) It is more likely that the issue you are seeing is down to an intermittent hardware error - probably caused by a power failure - treating this box like a toy rather than a box with very sensitive components is not very professional.
    3) if you really think its a software issue then you are posting on the wrong forum - it should be OpenATV. Images are different and therefore post in the right forum.
    4) As I think everyone agrees the channel switch lag is exhibited by most receivers using HiSilicon - but not all. I wouldn‘t expect this to change.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (25-05-19),ronand (25-05-19)

Title
    Thanks
    2) It is more likely that the issue you are seeing is down to an intermittent hardware error - probably caused by a power failure - treating this box like a toy rather than a box with very sensitive components is not very professional.

I WILL tell for the LAST time that I pull out from socket the receiver ONLY to show you on the forum WHAT is my problem, because it is the only way how to show you, because IT HAPPENS when the box run out of power. I m not treating the box like a toy !
    I have friends that have other receivers that do not have this problem.
    DO YOU think it is a hardware problem that appears only it have a power failure ?
    I will get an UPS. But I want my box to run ok like other boxes.
    Do I ask so much ?

3) if you really think its a software issue then you are posting on the wrong forum - it should be OpenATV. Images are different and therefore post in the right forum.

I want to belive that is a software problem. I do not know. That's way I m asking.
    Please be kind and tell me where should I post my problem from your point of view. Only the Openatv Forum ? That's ok ?

4) As I think everyone agrees the channel switch lag is exhibited by most receivers using HiSilicon - but not all. I wouldn‘t expect this to change.

I hear about this problem. I can live with this.

Thank you !

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    OpenATV forum:
    Code:
    https://www.opena.tv/
    Or email Octagon direct:
    Code:
    support@octagon-germany.de
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I WILL tell for the LAST time that I pull out from socket the receiver ONLY to show you on the forum WHAT is my problem, because it is the only way how to show you, because IT HAPPENS when the box run out of power.
    Fine, I get that.

Now, please try what I requested in #6, namely:

1. Configure the network (and save it...)
    2. Reboot the box using the reboot option in the system menu
    3. See what happens when it restarts.

2. should ensure that the configuration gets written to storage. So we need to check whether this is happening. Waiting for a power outage (or putting the box into standby) is not the same as rebooting (which involves an orderly shutdown of the system).

Title
    Thanks
    I talked with octagon support and octagon engineers and they was very kind to help me.

For No 1 problem - Network Failure:

- the receiver came with an old image from october 2018. I update the image but the network problem appeared when power failure.
    - i reflash with image from 23.05.2019 - same problem: network problem appeared when power failure.
    - i reflash again with image from 28.05.2019 and now receiver works ok, the network problem does not appear yet. I ve made test and it is ok for now. If it happens again i will tell you.

For No 2 problem - Slow Motion:

We have to wait for Huawei fot SDK update for processor.

For No 3 problem - Write speed USB 3.0:

Octagon said that will look into this and will provide a answer.

Thanks Octagon !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to myhaycracyun For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (30-05-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Good thing about Octagon, they do give great support for the SF8008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    I talked with octagon support and octagon engineers and they was very kind to help me.

For No 1 problem - Network Failure:

- the receiver came with an old image from october 2018. I update the image but the network problem appeared when power failure.
    - i reflash with image from 23.05.2019 - same problem: network problem appeared when power failure.
    - i reflash again with image from 28.05.2019 and now receiver works ok, the network problem does not appear yet. I ve made test and it is ok for now. If it happens again i will tell you.

For No 2 problem - Slow Motion:

We have to wait for Huawei fot SDK update for processor.

For No 3 problem - Write speed USB 3.0:

Octagon said that will look into this and will provide a answer.

Thanks Octagon !
    How's your network now still good? Love these boxes but I've had to put a WiFi adapter on my satellite one as couldn't get connection back, weird as it happened before and got it back but nothing worked today, swapped ethernet, flashed older builds then new.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Are you using a VPN Router by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast