Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with flashing my ET8500 via USB

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Problems with flashing my ET8500 via USB

I had not updated my Xtrend for about a year so decided to try to flash my Xtrend ET8500 with the latest Openvix image.
    An online attempt failed so I followed the USB flashing instructions.
    I took out my HDD in case that interfered with process.
    Formatted a USB to FAT32 (using the HP Formatting Tool) and copied the et8500 folder onto it (using the Teracopy software), put the USB stick in the unit (rear USB slot) and switched on.
    Got the usual Red and Black Xtrend logo at start up and the power button flashed red and blue. Touched the power button on front and it went steady red and blue with usual logo still on screen. Then button went steady blue and after a few moments saw the Openvix screen saying please wait.
    Power button turned blue, unit began to whirl as if booting and screen goes blank with occasional colour flashes.
    Instructions suggest flashing should take up to 4 minutes but after 20 minutes nothing has changed.
    When I remove the USB stick and pop it into my computer, it has created a folder called Movie and one called Timeshift.
    On re-starting the ET8500 I get the red ad black logo and then a blank screen.
    I have tried with the et8500 loaded onto the USB and also tried adding just the contents of the et8500 folder but still no success.
    Have tried an alternative brand new Kingston Datatraveller G4 8Gb USB, but when I use that, the power button does not even flash so cannot progress.

Please help!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When the led on the front panel turns steady blue it means the flash is complete.
    I've never removed my hdd when flashing, try it again with the hdd back in.
    These are the instructions I use:

Extract your zip file to the Fat32 formatted USB stick.
    (Should result in just one folder on the stick named et8500)
    Power on the Xtrend with the usb stick inserted and press the power button when it flashes alternately blue
    and purple.
    The flash is complete when the power button turns solid blue and the box will reboot automatically.
    The flashing process should take approximately two to four minutes.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Flashing PRoblems with usb for ET8500

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Do I need to be connected to the internet when I try the flashing process?
    cheers.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Not if you're flashing by usb.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Delboy181251 (22-05-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unhappy Flashing PRoblems with usb for ET8500

Hi Willo3092, Have followed your instructions to the letter but the machine never re-boots. Been 15 minutes now. Power button is steady blue but I have a blank screen.?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,889 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Its a bit late but how did you try to flash online? How did it fail?
    You are being over cautious removing the HDD and Internet connection - leave well alone or you may cause an issue.
    Like most usb flashing use the oldest stick you can find (you don‘t need much memory)

If the usb stick contains Movie and Timeshift (and didn‘t before) it means the system at some point booted up and used the usb for files .... probably when you removed the HDD.

So put the HDD and internet connection back in.
    Check you haven‘t messed up your connection to the TV whilst removing things.

Format an old usb stick and put the et8500 folder on the usb .
    Stick it into the rear of the powered down et8500, ensure no other usb device is attached.
    Power on and hopefully hit the button when it indicated it has found the et8500 folder.
    The screen flashing makes me wonder if your TV connection was messed up by all the moving around.

So take a deep breath, relax and try again.
    I had 2 et8500‘s for several years and I beat them up terribly and they never failed - as solid as a rock!!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Can you access the box using putty? You can get the IP address from your router if you don't know it.

putty instructions

You can flash the box by pasting this line into putty and follow the instructions.
    You will need to have the hdd inserted.

wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh http://willobuild.net/files/Scripts/...ll_vix.sh?dl=1 && bash install_vix.sh

The script is courtesy of grog68

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (22-05-19),twol (22-05-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Can you access the box using putty? You can get the IP address from your router if you don't know it.

putty instructions

You can flash the box by pasting this line into putty and follow the instructions.
    You will need to have the hdd inserted.

wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh http://willobuild.net/files/Scripts/...ll_vix.sh?dl=1 && bash install_vix.sh

The script is courtesy of grog68
    Clever script! I have always done it the hard way!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (22-05-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Its a bit late but how did you try to flash online? How did it fail?
    You are being over cautious removing the HDD and Internet connection - leave well alone or you may cause an issue.
    Like most usb flashing use the oldest stick you can find (you don‘t need much memory)

If the usb stick contains Movie and Timeshift (and didn‘t before) it means the system at some point booted up and used the usb for files .... probably when you removed the HDD.

So put the HDD and internet connection back in.
    Check you haven‘t messed up your connection to the TV whilst removing things.

Format an old usb stick and put the et8500 folder on the usb .
    Stick it into the rear of the powered down et8500, ensure no other usb device is attached.
    Power on and hopefully hit the button when it indicated it has found the et8500 folder.
    The screen flashing makes me wonder if your TV connection was messed up by all the moving around.

So take a deep breath, relax and try again.
    I had 2 et8500‘s for several years and I beat them up terribly and they never failed - as solid as a rock!!
    Thanks guys and you were bang on Twol,
    It had updated but lost my TV connection. Got instructions on my TV to use my Xtrend remote to re-install my plug-ins etc. Now working great.
    Many thanks for your invaluable help.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delboy181251 For This Useful Post:

twol (22-05-19),Willo3092 (22-05-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I am still curious as what happened when you tried an online update - would appreciate knowing what went wrong
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi twol,
    Sorry for delayed reply,
    Wish I could tell you but all I can say is that I had not updated the image for ages and when I started to do it on-line it came back with message that the update failed due to incompatibility issues. Hence I did it via USB.
    with the Xtrend ET8500 having its own LCD screen I never bothered to switch on my TV and when the machine didn't seem to reboot I was sure that had failed. I checked the connections between my Onkyo amplifier and the output to the TV and suddenly on the TV I got instructions to use my Xtrend remote to re-set the screen resolution to 1080p etc.

Title
    Thanks
    OK - thanks maybe a kernel issue.
    Ref LCD - yep understand that, the LCD display is so good I always worked off the LCD when flashing as it was so much faster than waiting for the TV display.
    Have to say the ET8500 was one of my all time favourite receivers .. well ahead of its time in many ways
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Delboy181251 (24-05-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Nice big lcd screen too! I use mine with the TV cloned to lcd and don't bother switching the TV on in my mancave.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

twol (23-05-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Regardless of other receivers marketing , the ET8500 is probably still the only receiver you could do that on
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry to jump on in on this thread. My suppliers saying that in need to install open atv on my box to stop the freezing issues. Like above i cannot get the box to boot from the usb. Currently running willo 5.2.043. I can’t see that this image is causing the freezing issues. Anyone cast some light on this for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast