Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which satellite receiver manufacturer is best?!?

clivejo

Which satellite receiver manufacturer is best?!?

I know that is a bit of a draft question, but I am looking for an established manufacturer who build boxes with good decent open hardware(or support Open Source Software).

I initially found this forum via YouTube reviews of the Mutant HD51, which looks absolutely fantastic and would cater for my needs. However, WOS seem to have sold out of these boxes,so I went over to mutant-digital.net and noticed there has been no news for well over a year. Are they still in business?

The WOS store seems to recommend the Zgemma H7S as a replacement for the Mutant HD51, so I was looking at this brand which seems to be made by a Chinese company called SHENZHEN AIR DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD. So I was wondering are they a reliable company who support their products, or just another Chinese popup flogging cheap boxes with little or no support going forward?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    They seem to be quite stable and regularly provide driver updates

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Been around for years, H7 is my main test box. Fast box and has 3 tuners compared with HD51 that has 2.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Have to say that for price/performance the zgemma boxes are excellent - the hardware is really good at the price.... and the overall package will meet many peoples requirements.
    However, I still feel that if you want a quality product that works then the GigaBlue receivers are good ..... but obviously more expensive. Good choice of tuners, multiboot and recovery modes that work...... they have come a long way from the early days when there were questions about support and stability.

I think almost all new boxes have been HiSilicon based (h9xxxx, sf8008, hd60, GB Trio, etc etc) which provide a lower priced product.

However, the market is in a state of flux at the moment with a move (apparently) from Broadcom chips to HiSilicon ..... how that will pan out with recent American Government restrictions (for security reasons?!) on their parent company (Huawei) vs American companies like Broadcom will be interesting! ..... so I would buy based on whats available in the current market and meets your needs .... because things could change fast.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

clivejo
    @Sicilian - I only have two LNB feeds from the old Sky dish, so I wouldn't be able to make use of a third without installing new hardware on the dish. Due to my location I can't get a Terrestrial Signal.

@twol - Do you know how WOS are offering a two year warranty on the Zgemma when they only often one year on their website?
    Last edited by clivejo; 18-05-19 at 19:36.

Title
    Thanks
    So you could look at the h9-2S - a neat little (literally) box... but would be better if you could define your specific requirements and perhaps nice to have
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

clivejo
    I have 2 LNB feeds from an old Sky install, currently using a Humux HDR-1100S but don't like the interface, lack of plugins and "hack-ability" it also feels very sluggish. I would like the ability to stream content via the LAN to other devices, maybe even integrate the system with my VOIP and IP CCTV setup, which is all Linux based. The main priorities are watching and recording programmes, ideally with series/episode linking (is that possible using open software??).

I also liked the physical look of the Mutant box and remote, the Zgemma looks a bit off to me, maybe I'm just knit picking!
    Last edited by clivejo; 18-05-19 at 19:55.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clivejo View Post
    @Sicilian - I only have two LNB feeds from the old Sky dish, so I wouldn't be able to make use of a third without installing new hardware on the dish. Due to my location I can't get a Terrestrial Signal.

@twol - Do you know how WOS are offering a two year warranty on the Zgemma when they only often one year on their website?
    The Octagon SF8008 Twin Satellite receiver would be an excellent choice to consider too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clivejo View Post

Two year warranty, look at Zgemma banner on homepage.

3rd terrestrial tuner you can set to not configured and not use it.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    May I tag onto this?

I thought the Mutant HD51 was the go-to receiver not that long ago; what has changed?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmm View Post
    go-to receiver not that long ago; what has changed?
    1st nothing wrong with the receiver, but technology moves on, and in this case it has been to the HiSilicon based receivers, that in general have similar capabilities but at a lower cost.
    So I love my Giga4K‘s - they look the part (and have FBC tuners, but not everyone wants or needs them) - but my Zgemma h9combo is also pretty good in terms of the overall package.... and a lot cheaper.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (25-06-19)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Everything in the lower price bracket is Chinese. If you want Korean you will pay more for no real benefit.

SF8008 or Zgemma H9 are both available in twin tuner models. Hard drive is external.

If you want internal hard drive go for the Zgemma H7, with twin satellite tuners.

There are lots of other more expensive models but the above should cover your needs. All 3 are fast and reliable.

And anyway you run the same software on all of them (OpenViX) so you won't notice any difference between them unless you are looking for some specific feature.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (25-06-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    And apart from being cheaper the Hisilicon based boxes will play almost anything you can throw at them. I have an SF8008 and almost all of the driver problems have been sorted and its working a treat and my Solo2 has been given to the kids. DTS HD MA passthrough is a great bonus too.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    wasn't that long ago that Z word was a swear word

17. The Following User Says Thank You to v8rick For This Useful Post:

1554leslie (26-06-19)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v8rick View Post
    wasn't that long ago that Z word was a swear word
    This is a completely new generation of hardware.

The H7 and H9 series are extremely good value for money, low-end STBs.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast