Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Build my own Vix image

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    So where is your static feed?
    No idea.
    All I do is set STATIC_FEED = "1" in my site.conf, rather than in an openvix.conf within a git reporitory.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No idea.
    All I do is set STATIC_FEED = "1" in my site.conf, rather than in an openvix.conf within a git reporitory.
    So you are setting static feed and you don't have a static feed?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    So you are setting static feed and you don't have a static feed?
    Possibly.
    The only comments I've seen (and remember) about this variable is to just uncomment it - no mention of having to put something else in place.

There's no mention in the openvix.conf file about setting something else up.

But the request was for a way to set this without changing the openvix.conf file. Which setting it in site.conf does.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Possibly.
    The only comments I've seen (and remember) about this variable is to just uncomment it - no mention of having to put something else in place.

There's no mention in the openvix.conf file about setting something else up.

But the request was for a way to set this without changing the openvix.conf file. Which setting it in site.conf does.
    I it called STATIC FEED. The reason the time is saved is because you are skipping a load of stuff in the build. The static feed you build additionally to the main build so those resource hungry items are not built on every rebuild.

Title
    Thanks
    I it called STATIC FEED. The reason the time is saved is because you are skipping a load of stuff in the build. The static feed you build additionally to the main build so those resource hungry items are not built on every rebuild.
    This strikes me as weird.
    If I don't need to build these things then why does the standard config build them at all?
    And if I do need them, then surely it should rebuild them whenever they change.

I'd assumed that setting STATIC_FEED just turned off some builds. Not that it did them once, and then ignored them forever.

So what should I be doing?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if you're on a wind up.

This strikes me as weird.
    If I don't need to build these things then why does the standard config build them at all?
    If they're not built they won't be on the feeds. I have no clue whether YOU need them or not, but if we didn't build them there would be a lot of complaining.
    And if I do need them, then surely it should rebuild them whenever they change. Not that it did them once, and then ignored them forever.
    That is not what I said. I said, "The static feed you build additionally to the main build so those resource hungry items are not built on every rebuild."

This is just the same as the picon feed, I don't rebuild it on every run, I build it when server resources are available.

Just because someone named the feed STATIC doesn't mean it is static. It is just an additional feed that is not built in sync with the main build.

So if you want complete feeds you either build the whole thing without modifying that conf file, or you do 2 processes.

Example: Nodejs
    Typical compile time for this one package is 2 hours.

OpenViX builds 60 boxes.

Standard build would be around 120 hours of server time wasted.

STATIC feed. Just build for mips32el, cortexa7hf-vfp, and cortexa15hf-neon-vfpv4. Build time 6 hours total. Now put that on the static feed and it feeds all 60 boxes.

Build time saved 114 hours.

And that is a simple example of just one package.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

el bandido (14-06-23)

Title
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if you're on a wind up.
    Definitely not.
    That is not what I said. I said, "The static feed you build additionally to the main build so those resource hungry items are not built on every rebuild."
    OK. So If I set STATIC_FEED to 1 then some things do not get built at all. Ever?

Just because someone named the feed STATIC doesn't mean it is static. It is just an additional feed that is not built in sync with the main build.
    OK. So there is a static feed and a dynamic (== non static feed).

So if you want complete feeds you either build the whole thing without modifying that conf file, or you do 2 processes.
    So if I'm not interested in things like Nodejs (I only really build things so I can test changes to the compiled enigma2) I just do a static feed?

(If so, it's still odd, as it appears to me that setting STATIC_FEED builds the dynamic parts - so I think I may still be misunderstanding).

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    If I set STATIC_FEED to 1 then some things do not get built at all. Ever?
    They will never be built by the main build.

OK. So there is a static feed and a dynamic (== non static feed).
    There is a main feed from the build process and an additional feed built by a separate process.

So if I'm not interested in things like Nodejs (I only really build things so I can test changes to the compiled enigma2) I just do a static feed?
    Yes, STATIC_FEED to 1 as explained above by LraiZer.

But... maybe you should read the readme. Setting STATIC_FEED to 1 skips just a few resource hungry things (like nodejs, kodi, etc), but still builds everything else.

What you wanted to do was "only really build things so I can test changes to the compiled enigma2". To achieve that, instead of doing "make image" do "make enigma2-image".

This skips building/rebuilding a lot of stuff and cuts the task list in half. If you run "make enigma2-image" on an interim build it will just freshen up the modules you want to update. It will not run oe-alliance-feeds.bb.

(If so, it's still odd, as it appears to me that setting STATIC_FEED builds the dynamic parts - so I think I may still be misunderstanding).
    As above, STATIC_FEED=1 just circumvents a few resource hungry recipes.

If you actually want the "static" feed you need to add the lines that produce the opkg files, pointing to your or the official OpenViX static feed.

Code:
    STATIC_FEED = "1"
    STATIC_ARCH = "static-${MACHINE} static-${TUNE_PKGARCH}"
    STATIC_DISTRO_FEED_URI = "http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/${DISTRO_NAME}-static/${DISTRO_VERSION}"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (14-06-23),Willo3092 (14-06-23)

Title
    Thanks
    If you actually want the "static" feed you need to add the lines that produce the opkg files, pointing to your or the official OpenViX static feed.

Code:
    STATIC_FEED = "1"
    STATIC_ARCH = "static-${MACHINE} static-${TUNE_PKGARCH}"
    STATIC_DISTRO_FEED_URI = "http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/${DISTRO_NAME}-static/${DISTRO_VERSION}"
    And that highlights my problem with understanding.

To skip building the (probably unused) build resource hogs I set STATIC_FEED = "1".

But to build them I also set STATIC _FEED = "1".

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    And that highlights my problem with understanding.

To skip building the (probably unused) build resource hogs I set STATIC_FEED = "1".

But to build them I also set STATIC _FEED = "1".
    STATIC_FEED=1 means I have a static feed so don't want to build those extras. STATIC_FEED=0 is the default, i.e I don.'t have a static feed so build the extras. Or in your case you don't have a static feed and don't care about the extras so just set to 1.

Obviously you can only do that because you are the sole user of your build.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

birdman (15-06-23)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Built a 6.4 release image for the original VU+ Ultimo today on a laptop in under 4 hours.
    Installed image works a lot faster/snappier than the last available VIX release for this box.
    Have the feeds built on the laptop in /oe-a-5.3/build-enviroment/builds/openvix/release/vuultimo/tmp/deploy/ipk & want to move them to the Ultimo hdd, no need for a build server as it's a rare box I'd need to update.
    Anyone know what's the correct format I should use in the /etc/opkg conf files to point to media/hdd/feeds/ rather than the URLs?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

twol (14-07-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Anyone know what's the correct format I should use in the /etc/opkg conf files to point to media/hdd/feeds/ rather than the URLs?
    From the man page (there is one in the source).

Code:
           The third part consists of the repository location.  This must point to 
           the top directory containing the Packages index file.   The  repository 
           location  may  refer to a local directory on the system with the prefix 
           file://, or to a webserver with http://https://, or to  an  FTP  server 
           with ftp://.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

judge (14-07-23),Willo3092 (14-07-23)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    And you could set this URL in site.conf so it is already correct on the box and you don't need to edit anything.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

judge (14-07-23)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    From the man page (there is one in the source).

Code:
           The third part consists of the repository location.  This must point to 
           the top directory containing the Packages index file.   The  repository 
           location  may  refer to a local directory on the system with the prefix 
           file://, or to a webserver with http://https://, or to  an  FTP  server 
           with ftp://.

Couldn't get file:// to work.

Sent from my CPH2399 using Tapatalk

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    And you could set this URL in site.conf so it is already correct on the box and you don't need to edit anything.
    Away for the next week but will try that when I get back.
    Any idea what the format should be to use /HDD/feeds on the box the image is installed on?

Sent from my CPH2399 using Tapatalk

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast