Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4k x265 play back problem.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Atmos files cause problems for most e2 boxes. In theory a player that doesnt support Atmos should be able to play the TrueHD core track - while most bluray players are capable of TrueHD its not a format supported by most satellite boxes. The specs show bog standard DTS as the highest format supported. As there are no DTS core tracks in an Atmos track an e2 player cannot handle the stream and generally results in stuttered playback at best. My SF8008 can handle most of the stuff I throw at it but I have an old android box kept in a drawer which runs librelec and can pass through the TrueHD tracks perfectly.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    Atmos can also be packed on top of DD+ I think. Dolby is a bit different compared to DTS. DTS-HD has a real, normal DTS core which can be played by all DTS capable player. Dolby does not have such a core.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    I played some samples on the Mut@nt as a result of this thread and noticed problems playing files which contain ATMOS, or DTS-HD Master & other advanced multichannel audio, even if I set the audio to passthrough. This is even when the video is (only) H.264. Usually I get a black screen and the full passthrough audio, which my AVR plays nicely as surround sound - but no picture. On some video samples the picture does not return after the video finishes, because I suspect the sync rate on the Mut@nt cannot readjust back to what it should be for TV. The only way to get back a TV picture is to reboot the box. I suspect this problem is Mut@nt related, rather than the TV's - the TV will show a picture when I switch to a different source.

@Stuckagain, a solution I have found and which may work for you too is to use DLNA. This requires both your Mut@nt and TV to be connected to your network. Install the MiniDLNA plugin on the Mut@nt, configure it to point to where your videos are stored (e.g. /media/hdd/movie/) and then connect to it with your TV's media player app (you may need to install this on the TV if not already present). I have found sample videos play perfectly this way, but I do not have complete movies - which may have DRM restrictions. I have found BBC recordings usually play fine through DLNA on the TV, but films from other channels do not - the TV takes ages and eventually refuses to play them. The way to overcome this is to transcode the videos on a PC first - I use ffmpeg for this task - which copies over the video/audio streams to the same format (.ts) or new container (.mp4). This seems to remove whatever DRM restriction exists in the metadata and the files then play fine on the Mut@nt.

The Mut@nt has limited hardware decoding capabilities, but I suppose this is to be expected from a SoC at this price point. I just wish it would process multichannel audio streams from terrestrial Freeview transmissions, or pass them through to the TV/AVR rather than downmixing them to stereo. I'm waiting for newer boxes to come out with such capability, before I consider a replacement.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone's feed back so now I know it's not 4k it multi channel auto that's the problem.

Mick, I've had some success in the passed with playing these files via DLNA to TV. Then output the sound via a optical cable to AVR (Denon AVRX2500H) but only DD 5.1. I could try using HDMI ARC again, but find some of it behaviour odd with different manufacturers. Would have to ethernet cable for the TV for 4K I guess. Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckagain View Post
    Thanks for everyone's feed back so now I know it's not 4k it multi channel auto that's the problem.
    Well, it's not always the audio - there are cases where the video may also cause a problem, depending on how it has been prepared (encoded). However, in general terms I have been able to play 4k resolution videos including HDR (@10-bit color depth). The picture is stunning in all respects both using the Mut@nt as a player and using the TV's video player app over DLNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckagain View Post
    Mick, I've had some success in the passed with playing these files via DLNA to TV. Then output the sound via a optical cable to AVR (Denon AVRX2500H) but only DD 5.1. I could try using HDMI ARC again, but find some of it behaviour odd with different manufacturers. Would have to ethernet cable for the TV for 4K I guess. Thanks
    I am not familiar with your AVR, but I understand it is a top of the range piece of kit. If you connect your TV <=> AVR using the HDMIC ARC ports on both devices and then connect the Mut@nt to the AVR over another HDMI port, you should be able to get Dolby surround sound out of your speakers, as long as the video played on the Mut@nt has dolby audio on it and the Mut@nt is set in Audio Passthrough mode. You do not need an optical cable for this, stick to HDMI, but you do need to select the correct input source on the AVR.

NOTE: Playing any video/multichannel audio over DLNA takes place over ethernet. Therefore both TV and Mut@nt need to be connected to your LAN. Using ethernet cables rather than WiFi will make sure there are no dropouts because someone else is chewing up all the WiFi bandwidth. Anyway, all channels in an audio stream will be transmitted to the TV over DLNA. The TV's media player app will then decode the audio, or pass it through to the AVR as is over HDMI. Your AVR will then decode and convert the digital audio channels into analogue so you can hear them over your speakers. I'm probably not suggesting anything you don't already know, but just to make sure we're talking about the same things and there is no misunderstanding.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    I tried playing this sample on the Mut@nt:

http://4ksamples.com/elysium-2013-21...ample-footage/

Although audio plays OK (in passthrough mode it is sent to the AVR where it is processed) the screen goes black. The Mut@nt then jams in the wrong refresh rate and stays black even after I finish playing the video. I have to reboot it before the screen comes back.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Mick will give it a go.

Title
    Thanks
    Hmm ... actually don't! When I tried to play this sample file on my PC I got this warning:

[ffmpeg/video] hevc: Invalid default display window

The video stream is: hevc 3840x1608 23.976fps, rather than the default 4k 3840x2160. I don't know if this is what causes the Mut@nt screen to go black and not switch back to 1080 when the video is stopped. The Mut@nt is set to display wider screen resolutions as 'letterbox' so it ought to cope with it, but it seems it can't. It won't display anything until I reboot it.

I guess a lot of these samples are quite experimental at the moment and may contain encoding errors. The 7.1 audio is not compliant to the standard as reported by ffmpeg when I tried to transcode it into an mp4 container with aac audio. Some hardware will auto-correct and cope with it, others won't.
    Last edited by Mickkie; 05-06-19 at 16:21.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12