Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very bad network performance

Title
    Thanks

Very bad network performance

I updated my VU+ zero to the latest release yesterday and am now experiencing very bad internet and network performance. It makes little difference whether I use a wired or wireless connection. I never get more than 20 Mbits/s downstream via NetSpeed. Previously, I was able to reach approx. 80 MBit/s when using the wired connection. I know that the NIC is only a 100 MBit one, so that's more or less OK or to be expected but less than 20 MBit/s is abysmal and is causing me issues with IPTV.

Other devices in my network don't have these issues, they all reach internet speeds in excess of 180 MBit/s, even wireless.

On the box I installed the NetSpeed plugin for this but I also have a command-line tool that basically does the same and reports the same results. I use the same NetSpeed server to verify these result on my different devices. I've rebooted everything including router/modem, of course. No difference.

Where there any changes made to the network stack recently?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Which release were you using before you updated?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Which softcam are you using?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback!

I believe I ran 5.2.030 before the update but I'm not too sure. Is there any way to find out?
    I am running oscam-latest. Should I try with disabled OScam?

EDIT
    I stopped OScam and re-rean the test but performance remains the same - 15 MBit/s down and 11 MBit/s up (wired). Upstream is OK, that's all I have.
    Last edited by Stone123; 17-03-19 at 11:41.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Sorry, my question should have been: Are you using mgcamd. You are not, so not a factor.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone123 View Post

I believe I ran 5.2.030 before the update but I'm not too sure. Is there any way to find out?
    If you took an image backup before updating you'd be able see the image version from within image manager.
    Same would apply to backup manager.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, I just flashed an older image backup I had and I still get the same bad network performance... so apparently there is no relation to OpenViX and this issue?!
    This puzzles me. I don't know what to do. I've already tried a different port on my router and the WiFi adapter.
    I hope I'm not getting into conspiracy territory here but the modem/router is supplied and managed by my ISP. I'm getting a hunch it's throttling my VU+ zero...

Is there a supported way to change its hostname and MAC address to make it appear as a new device?

Title
    Thanks
    settings - network - MAC
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think in mounts you can rename your zero to another name say xbox or pc and if you had another box scanned network it would see the new name.
    Mac address is locked as far as i know,try the name change and maybe box and router needed a power off / on

My et went very slow and ran speedtest wow very slow and only thing that fixed it was powering off router for a few minutes then on and normal speed resumed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback!

I changed the MAC via GUI and configured my system to use DHCP instead of static IP.
    I also changed the hostname manually via /etc/hostname. It reflected the change in "mounts" in the GUI.
    I then rebooted the device and verified that my router sees it as new device with new hostname, new MAC address and also assigned it a new IP address.
    Unfortunately, it made no difference whatsoever.

I'm now going to try using the same network cable on my laptop and running the netspeed tests.

EDIT
    So I used the very same network cable, just put it into my laptop and am getting 198 Mbit/s on the same server. I have no idea what to do now.
    Last edited by Stone123; 17-03-19 at 12:19.

Title
    Thanks
    see above : settings - network - MAC
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, I already did that. I changed the mac, the hostname and configuration from static to dhcp. my router created a new device with the new mac and hostname and gave it a new ip. No difference. Puzzling.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Did you power off router for a few mins?

Title
    Thanks
    No, I did a full reboot of my router which takes a few minutes. I won't get a new public IP address no matter what I do since I have a DS-Lite connection.

Just tested my FireStick which has a pretty crappy WiFi connection since it's a couple of rooms over and it has no IPTV issues. Funny.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone123 View Post
    If you have debug logs running you can look in one from before the update and search for lines like this:
    Code:
    <    27.614> [Image Type] developer
    <    27.615> [Image Version] 5.2
    <    27.615> [Image Build] 031
    <    27.615> [Image DevBuild] 005
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast