Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky+ Dish and LNB, DVB-T, recording question.

Title
    Thanks

Sky+ Dish and LNB, DVB-T, recording question.

Hi All

I'm really confused. I'm looking to replace an EE freeview box which can record 3 channels while you watch another all through the TV Ariel. I have a Sky+ quad LNB and dish on the wall, and two cables running down to where the EE box is from a recent Sky+ HD box which is no longer there.

If I get the Octagon 8008 box, and connect up one sky cable and the normal terrestrial cable, how many channels could I record at the same time?

Would I need a different LNB, or would I need to look at a different box?

I'm struggling to understand S/2x, Multistream. I understand Unicable will allow multiple schannels to be recorded while using a Unicable 2 LNB and an receiver like the Gigablue UE 4K, but that is quite a bit more.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quick explanation.

Single Satellite tuners DVB-S/S2/S2X can watch and record from the same transponder. Satellite channels are split over transponders. For instance on a single Satellite DVB-S/S2 tuner I can watch and record BBC One HD and BBC Two HD at once.

DVB-C/T/T2 tuners can record watch and record from the same frequency. Terrestrial channels are split over frequencies. For instance I can watch record BBC One HDm BBC Two HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5HD all at once on a single DVB-C/T2 tuner.

If you have a satellite tuner and terrestrial tuner like the SF8008 you can watch and record across both tuners at once.

Enigma 2 receivers with single satellite tuners can use Unicable LNB's, but still can only watch and record from the same transponder.

Receivers with FBC tuners like the Gigablue UHD UE 4K can with watch and record across the same quadrant, Hi, Lo, Vertical, Horizontal using a Universal LNB. Using a Unicable LNB with a single feed to FBC tuners, users get the full use of 8 tuners. So can watch and record across 8 transponders.

With the UHD UE 4K you can also have an extra Twin C/T2 tuner for Freeview HD.

With a Gigablue UHD UE 4K you could use the two satellite feeds and and an Aerial feed if you add the extra twin hybrid.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Chronicfathead (16-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Many thanks for taking the time to put that down.

SO if I am correct, if I get the Octagon with the DVB-T, that would be the same as my EE box, and then the S/2x would give me access to freesat, and allow me to record extra programs?

It looks like there are generally ~4 channels per transponder?

Looks like the Octagon 8008 would be a good starter box, especially if I want to spend under £150.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicfathead View Post

SO if I am correct, if I get the Octagon with the DVB-T, that would be the same as my EE box, and then the S/2x would give me access to freesat, and allow me to record extra programs?

Looks like the Octagon 8008 would be a good starter box, especially if I want to spend under £150.
    Not sure how many tuners the EE Freeview box has.

Channels per satellite transponer vary a lot.

You might want to the consider a Zgemma H7 model. H7S has TWO satellite tuners like a Sky+ box and 1x Terrestrial tuner for Freeview HD. H7C has 2x Terrestrial tuners and 1x Satellite tuner.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/air-digital-zgemma

H7 series also have internal SATA HDD facility.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

The SF8008 is a fantastic receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Octagon-Germany (19-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Both the H7 and SF8008 are excellent receivers at the price, but for someone switching from your current setup, I would go for the H7.
    My view is that the H7 offers all that you need (once you decide on the model that meets your tuner requirements), and in some ways the H7 is a simpler box - internal HDD, stable software - both receivers offer a multiboot capability (the ability to retain multiple images on the receiver and switch between them - not the highest priority on your current list! but useful) - but the H7 implementation is simpler.

.... but if you think you are a quick learner, then the SF8008 offers more potential - providing you use the features!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Chronicfathead (16-03-19),Sicilian (16-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your input. I'd forgotten about the H7s and it's internal drive. I think it may be the way to go, for a quiet life (wife). If I was to replace the sky lnb, as I think it had issues( lost the same channels on two sky boxes) which LNB would you recommend to go with the H7s and a sky dish?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronicfathead For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (16-03-19)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your input. I'd forgotten about the H7s and it's internal drive. I think it may be the way to go, for a quiet life (wife). If I was to replace the sky lnb, as I think it had issues( lost the same channels on two sky boxes) which LNB would you recommend to go with the H7s and a sky dish?
    If the existing LNB still works I'd just use that. No need to replace if it's working.

I think the H7 is one of the best value for money receivers available at the moment.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    If it is only a few channels lost, it may be the skew of LNB or dish alignment that needs tweaking.

If it is about a quarter of channels, then LNB could be faulty. You should be getting 900+ services on a scan of 28.2

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Chronicfathead (16-03-19),Sicilian (16-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys.

Just bought my first Zgemma! from WoS.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronicfathead For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (16-03-19)