Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How to use user_skin_mod.xml with common skins?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

How to use user_skin_mod.xml with common skins?

Hi I've been experimenting with YouViX skin mods, the modifications I need to do are in the skin_YouViX.xml these modifications override on software updates.

How could we use user_skin_mod.xml? I've tried naming the file to skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml but this doesn't seem to work.
    Last edited by dsayers; 07-03-19 at 18:10.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Sorry just tried again, what I need to do is use the name of the skin ie skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml although it would be good if we could use a user skin mod for common folder then we wouldn't need multiple mod files for each YouViX skins.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    Sorry just tried again, what I need to do is use the name of the skin ie skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml although it would be good if we could use a user skin mod for common folder then we wouldn't need multiple mod files for each YouViX skins.
    The whole point about the naming is that it allows you to have multiple overrides present at the same time, one for each skin you are using.
    If you want to have a skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml (presumably just to contain overrides for YouViX-Common code), then just end your skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml (and skin_user_YouViX-Pink.....xml) with:
    Code:
    <!-- ALL includes must be in this file!
         The include code doesn't handle includes in includes.
     -->
    <include filename="/etc/enigma2/skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml">

</skin>
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

dsayers (08-03-19),Willo3092 (08-03-19)

clivejo
    Is there a guide or documentation on how Skins work? I have some override settings for the VIX Dark skin that I want to keep (after a package update for example)

Also what do you guys use for skin design? I came across this project which I built from source - https://gitlab.com/technic93/e2designer but I can't seem to be able to use it to modify ViX Dark skins due to the nestled nature of the skins.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivejo View Post
    Is there a guide or documentation on how Skins work?
    Not that I've found.
    I have some override settings for the VIX Dark skin that I want to keep (after a package update for example)
    See the previous post to yours. You need to put a skin_user_<<skin_name>>.xml file into /etc/enigma2 with the changes you want. This gets preserved over updates (an is in backups).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Also what do you guys use for skin design? I came across this project which I built from source - https://gitlab.com/technic93/e2designer but I can't seem to be able to use it to modify ViX Dark skins due to the nestled nature of the skins.
    That looks similar to open skin designer and works great for certain skins, sadly it doesn't work with most skins.

For me it's guess work but looking at positions etc of other parts of the skin and do one step at a time. Some skins I'm used to now and it will probably be the same for you once you start editing you'll get an idea of how screens are done on your favourite skin.

clivejo
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    Some skins I'm used to now and it will probably be the same for you once you start editing you'll get an idea of how screens are done on your favourite skin.
    What is your favourite skin?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    What is your favourite skin?
    It's hard to say what a favourite skin is as I know how much work skinners put in there skins. Preference is v-skin1080, slyk onyx 1080. Simple ten eighty is a nice skin to play around with aswel.

Only way to find out what is best for you is installing one see what it's like and try another.
    Last edited by dsayers; 02-06-19 at 00:39.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    See the previous post to yours. You need to put a skin_user_<<skin_name>>.xml file into /etc/enigma2 with the changes you want. This gets preserved over updates (an is in backups).
    I can't get this to work and I keep losing my changes on update. Do you have an example of how the files should be named and the content of the files? ie on github or gitlab etc?

Title
    Thanks
    I can't get this to work and I keep losing my changes on update. Do you have an example of how the files should be named and the content of the files? ie on github or gitlab etc?
    This is what I have, and where:

Code:
    root@et8000:/etc/enigma2# ls *skin*
    gml-test-skin.xml                     skin_user_ViXBMC_1080_Confluence.xml
    skin_extra.xml
    and here are the files. Read the comments (and spot the incorrect one...).

skin-files.zip

12. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

deejayh (30-03-20)