Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update from 4.1.016 to latest (5.2.030)?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    It appears you haven't read the thread. Please read it, then ask questions if any of your queries are unanswered.

Title
    Thanks
    I have read the thread. But thanks anyway.

Title
    Thanks
    So, why are you asking questions about statements made in it? Everything is listed in that thread.

Your old autotimers will work, your timers will work, your bouquets will work. Otherwise they would not have been mentioned. Point 5 mentions the chanegs you have to make to the "settings" file, this will restore all the options you made in the GUI.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    So, why are you asking questions about statements made in it? Everything is listed in that thread.

Your old autotimers will work, your timers will work, your bouquets will work. Otherwise they would not have been mentioned. Point 5 mentions the chanegs you have to make to the "settings" file, this will restore all the options you made in the GUI.
    Now I'm confused. The first reply to my question [post 2] said "The normal procedure would be to take a settings backup, flash the latest image and then do a settings restore.
    However, your current image is too old, so you'll have to flash and then start from scratch"
    . Are you now saying the settings can be restored from the old version to the new one?

Is point 5 of this thread: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post452828 referring only to restoring settings back to 4.2 or older or settings from older than 4.2 to a later version, which I assumed won't work, based on answers in this thread?

Presumably the format of any useful settings files has been changed so they cannot be reused?

Title
    Thanks
    What are you asking about?

A. The file called settings.
    B. A settings backup.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    What are you asking about?

A. The file called settings.
    B. A settings backup.
    The two items are different.

The normal thing to do is to:
    1. create a settings backup (this is automated in new images)
    2. flash a new image (using USB or Image Manager)
    3a. restore the settings backup
    3b. restore the installed plugins that are on the plugin server

See this guide

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-and-Restores/

The restoration of settings backup and plugins does not apply to you. This is why you have to restore and reinstall things manually.

You can re-use all the old files as listed in this guide. Only thing you will have to change is manually edit the settings file by changing the "true" to "True" and "false" to "False"

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...older-than-4-2

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, I think that makes sense. I was under the impression that file formatting had maybe changed so old files from before v4.2 could not be used on later versions. I will have to leave updating until I have more time in a few weeks as it doesn't sound straightforward but should be possible with some effort. I am trying to minimise how much re-configuration I have to do wheb I upgrade.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

Sorry to be back again, but I have a few questions:

1. I have made the backups as far as point 6 in the linked thread - "backing up cam config files". I am not sure what cam config files are, but I assume they are to do with hardware/software encryption. I am using terrestrial Freeview TV only so I am assuming I can ignore cam files?

2. Plugins - I am not sure if I ever installed any. The plugins listed on the machine are: Autotimer, CrossEPG Downloader, EPG Importer, Filebrowser, MediaScanner, OpenWedif, PicturePlayer. Are these all built in ones that will be replaced by the new firmware so I can ignore them, or do I need to transfer the old versions to the new firmware?

3. Point 10 of the instructions says: Once you have flashed the image and get to the First Install Wizard (setup screen), don't go any further.
    Issue the following command to stop enigma2
    Code:
    init 4

How do I issue that command? Through ftp?

Sorry if that seems a bit basic.

Thanks

Keith.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    1) If you're only using freeview, don't worry about cams

2) If that's all you can see, then don't worry about plugins.

nb If you've downloaded any drivers (for usb wifi, say), then you'll need to following the instructions in the link.

If you're not sure, follow the instructions to double check.

3) init 4 is issued using telnet/putty

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

keith1200rs (08-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. Is there a guide somewhere to using telnet? I have enabled telnet on my computer and can connect via the ip address but I am not sure I am doing things correctly. The prompt I get is root@mbtwinplus:~# including the strange ~#

Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1200rs View Post
    Thanks. Is there a guide somewhere to using telnet? I have enabled telnet on my computer and can connect via the ip address but I am not sure I am doing things correctly. The prompt I get is root@mbtwinplus:~# including the strange ~#

Thanks
    See abu's signature.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. I guess telnet is working - it seems to do the same as putty now I have some commands to check it with.

However, I cannot get it to flash from the USB. I have tried from a couple of different USB sticks, formated fat32, copied the miraclebox folder to the root of the drive and turned the device on but it just bypasses it and boots to the old image. Any suggestions? Is there some other way of doing it?

I must have done it ages ago to go back to the version I ended up using, but that was a long time ago.

Title
    Thanks
    Can the firsware update be done from the machine by copying the new image using ftp and doing a restore? I notice the zip has the same file structure as the backups, with the addition of "noforce" and "splash.bin".

Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You can place the latest ViX image (zipped) into the ImageManager folder on the hdd etc. Then you will find it located in Blue button > ViX > Image Manager > Highlight 5.2.030 and press the Blue button to Flash and say Yes at the next prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

keith1200rs (08-03-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    In image manager there is a download option, you can get the latest image from there, then back a level to select and flash that image, known as couch flashing.

Your image backup should be in there as well, so it's easy to flash that if need arises.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

keith1200rs (08-03-19)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast