Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Error build image (at bootlogo)

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No

Thread: Error build image (at bootlogo)

Title
    Thanks

Error build image (at bootlogo)

I'm new with OpenViX and have been able to build it. However not on first try, I got a problem. Bash extension is used in the openvix-bootlogo.bb file. The script code from the bb files are used in sh-scripts, not bash-scripts. So for example on Ubuntu, the script will fail if bash extension is used.

I solved it by this:
    Code:
    diff --git a/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/image/openvix-bootlogo.bb b/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/image/openvix-bootlogo.bb
    index b09d557dc..73da8a526 100644
    --- a/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/image/openvix-bootlogo.bb
    +++ b/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/image/openvix-bootlogo.bb
    @@ -67,9 +67,9 @@ do_install_append_vuduo2() {
     inherit deploy
     do_deploy() {
         TEST=${MACHINEBUILD}
    -    if [[ ${TEST:0:2} == "tm" ]]; then
    +    if [[ $( echo $TEST | awk '{ string=substr($0, 1, 2); print string; }' ) == "tm" ]]; then
             install -m 0644 tm-splash.bmp ${DEPLOYDIR}/${BOOTLOGO_FILENAME}
    -    elif [[ ${TEST:0:2} == "iq" ]]; then
    +    elif [[ $( echo $TEST | awk '{ string=substr($0, 1, 2); print string; }' ) == "iq" ]]; then
             install -m 0644 iqon-splash.bmp ${DEPLOYDIR}/${BOOTLOGO_FILENAME}
         elif [ -e splash.bin ]; then
             install -m 0644 splash.bin ${DEPLOYDIR}/${BOOTLOGO_FILENAME}

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    I assume that as well installing all the programs you have done this step??
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    When asked: Install dash as /bin/sh?
    select "NO"

I build all the time you don‘t have to modify teh bb‘s
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Excuse me, but that is an ugly workaround. You shouldn't force users to make changes in the operating system. In sh scripts you need to follow the rules that apply for many operating systems. The scripts are sh scripts and of course all code should follow the rules for sh scripts. It shouldn't be any bash extension code in sh scripts.

It would be different if it would have been bash scripts, but it isn't.

PS. By the way, where can I find information about building OpenViX?

Title
    Thanks
    If you are building thats what every image builder does - and I mean EVERY image so if you want to be different you will have to change an awful lot!
    There is a standard setup for Ubuntu that defines the tools and little things like above.
    I am short of time today.... but this is a good starter (see bottom of page) although obviously distro is openvix for the build.
    https://github.com/openatv/enigma2
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm with @Twol on this, I also build generally without an issue based on guide in link above (obviously use openvix instead of openatv as twol mentioned).

Title
    Thanks
    I have seen that instructions and is close to how I have done.

Please can you explain why a separate user account is used?

Changing core settings in the operating system is not good - that is my opinion. You wrote "awful lot", do you really mean it is so many faults in the code?? It sounds scary, maybe OpenViX isn't for me. Quality and stability is of high value for me.

The build system using sh scripts, so of course I think it should follow the rules.

PS. If it is a fact that it is a lot of code push in with bash extension. Maybe you can consider to switch over to bash scripts (instead of sh scripts). I don't know how the organisation is, but I think such decision needs to be agreed on by many people.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Even for PLI, the same thing has to be done for deconfigure. You posted in a thread that links to it already, but see here
    Code:
    http://users.telenet.be/spstefansp/openpliubuntu.html
    You don't have to create a separate user account.

If you want to submit changes to make things better, please feel free to do so. But bear in mind we tend to merge code to/from PLI, so changes should be compatible in both images as far as possible.

Title
    Thanks
    OpenPLi is easy to build and I you don't need to do a lot of things, that it seems to be in the above link. If I remember right it is a wiki for OpenPLi build. OpenPLi actually built without any fauilt at all for me, on first try,

Here is a quote from "OpenEmbedded User Manual" regarding bitbake recipe:
    8.2 Syntax of recipes
    When describing a list of actions to take, shell syntax is used (as if you were writing a shell script).
    You should ensure that your script works with a generic sh and not require any bash (or other shell)
    specific functionality. The same applies to various system utilities (sed, grep, awk etc) that you may
    wish to use. If in doubt you should check with multiple implementations - including those from
    busybox.
    PS. You find the document in the build-enviroment folder, or https://github.com/oe-alliance/build...usermanual.pdf

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    People have had to do the deconfigure dash from a very long time. You have made a valid point. Please submit a pull request for the required change.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -M- View Post
    OpenPLi is easy to build and I you don't need to do a lot of things, that it seems to be in the above link. If I remember right it is a wiki for OpenPLi build. OpenPLi actually built without any fauilt at all for me, on first try,

Here is a quote from "OpenEmbedded User Manual" regarding bitbake recipe:

PS. You find the document in the build-enviroment folder, or https://github.com/oe-alliance/build...usermanual.pdf
    The link was just an information pointer and not something that has to be followed to the letter.
    Whether you build OpenPli or any of the OE-A images the process is the same .. and as simple. If you can build OpenPli you can build any of the other images
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -M- View Post
    Please can you explain why a separate user account is used?
    It isn't. You shouldn't use the root account though (but then you should never use the root account to build anything).

Changing core settings in the operating system is not good - that is my opinion.
    You don't need to. If this is a reference to requiring /bin/sh to be a symlink to bash then that is because some authors of components of the build fail to write their scripts correctly. All they would need to do is start the script with #!/bin/bash, but they don't).
    But that's not a core setting.

PS. If it is a fact that it is a lot of code push in with bash extension. Maybe you can consider to switch over to bash scripts (instead of sh scripts). I don't know how the organisation is, but I think such decision needs to be agreed on by many people.
    The author of any script is free to set what interpreter is required. It would be nice if everyone took the trouble to set it correctly, but life isn't perfect.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD