Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: New feature for Zgemma H9 from release build 5.2.029 - Move image from NAND to SD card & enjoy larger flash size

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts

Thumbs up New feature for Zgemma H9 from release build 5.2.029 - Move image from NAND to SD card & enjoy larger flash size

Guide how to move image to Micro SD card and
    boot from Micro SD card for larger Flash Size.

This is particularly useful in the Zgemma H9 series (H9S, H9T, H9.2S & H9.2H) due to the 256MB flash, moving image from NAND flash to Micro SD card will allow the installation of both Kodi and QT Stalker and many other plugins and give you a much larger flash size.
    8GB Class 10 Micro SD card recommended.

This guide is written for OpenViX, SD card booting was implemented in OpenViX release build 5.2.029, all credits go to Twol from OpenViX Team adding this feature.
    For the purpose of this guide we have used a 8GB Class 10 Micro SD Card and Zgemma H9 series receiver newly flashed with OpenViX 5.2.029, basic setup with no extra plugins.

1. Power off the device and insert your Micro SD card.
    2. Power on the device.
    3. Once booted initialise the Micro SD card. Menu > Setup > Storage > Initialize Devices > Select your Micro SD card > Press OK > Press Green to initialise.
    4. Once complete exit all screens and reboot your receiver. Once re-booted, press Blue button > ViX > you’ll now see H9SDcard Manager.
    5. Once re-booted, press Blue button > ViX > you’ll now see H9SDcard Manager.
      Attachment 58395
    6. Select H9SDcard Manager and press OK.
    7. You will now see the screen below, press Green button to prepare your SD card, this will copy the root image files to your SD card. Be patient will take a few minutes. Once complete the terminal information output window will close and go back to the screen below. Now Press Red button to reboot. IT IS IMPORTANT TO DO THIS REBOOT SO THAT THE NEWLY PREPARED MICRO SD CARD IS RECOGNISED FOR BOOTING PURPOSES.
      Attachment 58396

8. Once rebooted go to Menu > Standby and Restart > H9SDroot.
      Attachment 58397

9. Select H9SDroot and press OK, you’ll now see the screen below.
      Attachment 58398

10. Press Yellow button to Swap boot to Micro SD card, your receiver will now reboot and boot into Micro SD card image. If you need to boot back to NAND flash from SD card, as above but press Green to Swap boot to NAND flash.
    11. Once booted go to Menu > Information > Memory, you will now see the large size flash and free flash size. We have installed both KODI and QT Stalker plugins and have 6.4GB free with a 8GB Class 10 Micro SD card. You’ll now be able to enjoy more free flash.
      Attachment 58399

Finally a few small notes. We’d recommend that once you’ve booted to SD card to only use the SD boot image. Online updates work as they should, but can get out of sync if trying to keep both nand image and SD card image updated, certain files are shared from NAND to SD, therefore we’d recommend only to use SD card image boot once booted to SD card. Note that it is currently not possible to Couch flash or USB flash an image direct to Micro SD Card. You can back up settings and plugins that can be restored to a SD boot image if ever needed to restore a backup.

Attached Images Attached Images
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

biff2005 (23-02-19),huggybear (20-10-20),samsid (23-02-19),Willo3092 (23-02-19)

Title
    Forum Sponsor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 473 Posts
    Here's a PDF of the guide posted above.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team
    Official Distributor of Formuler products, GiGaBlue, Octagon,
    Technomate, Tiviar, VU+, Xtrend and many more...
    Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!
    PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*
    *SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to world-of-satellite.co.uk For This Useful Post:

biff2005 (23-02-19),Willo3092 (23-02-19)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Made a sticky in OpenViX support section.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Has anyone tried this with a 128gb microSD card? I’ve setup 2x partitions in Ext4, ViX mount manager recognises them both. 1 is 8gb and the other 111gb. But can’t get this to move the root to the 8gb partition. Any ideas or pointers please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I've only used a 8GB SD Card.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    I’ve got it to work with just one partition. Good tool, very impressed. I will try different things and variations to see how I can get it working with more than one partition.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Just setup my H9.2H with a Class 10 16GB SD Card, got masses of flash now

1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20190223113156.jpg
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (23-02-19),dsayers (23-02-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Its an awesome tool. Twol has done an excellent job!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (23-02-19)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I've just got SD card for Flash and 128GB USB stick for storage.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I’ve got it to work with just one partition. Good tool, very impressed. I will try different things and variations to see how I can get it working with more than one partition.

Andy see my PM's ... works for me.
    If 2 partitions doesn't work for you then need debug logs
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (23-02-19),Sicilian (23-02-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Started everything from scratch and used a different Windows tool to do my partitions and I’m pleased to confirm all working super duper now. Thanks Twol for an amazing job you have done. Excellent feature, well impressed.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (23-02-19),twol (23-02-19),Willo3092 (23-02-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    @Andy - Always had you in mind when I wrote the code! As PM‘ed purposely started with 2 partitions in my testing!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (23-02-19),Sicilian (23-02-19),tosh2004 (07-04-19),Willo3092 (23-02-19)