Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Vu ULTIMO 4k tuners

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Vu ULTIMO 4k tuners

Hey Guys

I am in the process of moving my ultimo 4k from my extension which doesnt have any sat/cable inputs to my room which has 2 traditonmal satellite LNBs.

Looking around, i see there are a choice of three tuners for this..

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...n-Tuner-Module

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VU-DUAL-T....c100033.m2042

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...c-tuner-module

Now the 3rd is the FBC tuner which i wont be using exactly because i do not have a unicable LNB special set up thing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different tuners if i just use the tuners on 28.2 astra with traditional LNB's?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Who said you need unicable for FBC tuners?

The only advantage of non-fbc tuners is that they can blind scan. Unless you are a feed hunter with a multi position/motorised dish, you won't be blind scanning.

You will be making a mistake not buying the FBC tuner.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Who said you need unicable for FBC tuners?

The only advantage of non-fbc tuners is that they can blind scan. Unless you are a feed hunter with a multi position/motorised dish, you won't be blind scanning.

You will be making a mistake not buying the FBC tuner.

Hmm

But i thought the FBC satellite tuner would only be used to its max capability if you have a unicable set up? If i am going to be using traditioal LNBs i thought it acts the same way as a traditional twin tuner module. (as per the first 2 links. )
    (what is the difference between the first two links anyway apart from the colour)

Sorry abu. Ignore my ignorance in this area. I am still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    You can use a normal LNB with an FBC tuner.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can use a normal LNB with an FBC tuner.

yh ok i get that. I just did not think it does anything special over the non FBC one. (ie Letting me record two different satellite channels from different transponders)

Thanks abu

Title
    Thanks

Vu ULTIMO 4k tuners

I am sure we had this discussion when you were buying it. The FBC tuner has benefits over a non FBC tuner even with a normal LNB. In essence, you will be getting six loop through tuners.

If you are going to be happy with two satellite demodulators, then there is a £40 saving in price.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Does anyone know the difference between the first 2 links apart from the colour?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I am sure we had this discussion when you were buying it. The FBC tuner has benefits over a non FBC tuner even with a normal LNB. In essence, you will be getting six loop through tuners.

If you are going to be happy with two satellite demodulators, then there is a £40 saving in price.
    oh ok.

So what exactly are loop through tuners? I thought that 1 input allows me to watch/record from one transponder and another input allows another. Now yes if there are a few channels that are on 1 transponder, i could record more but i thought even legacy tuners had that ability

Title
    Thanks

Vu ULTIMO 4k tuners

sorry, I meant internal loop through.

A normal tuner is locked to a transponder. The main FBC tuners are locked to a quadrant of the transmission. So you get access to more transponders on that quadrant using the 6 leaf tuners.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

joysleep1 (18-02-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    sorry, I meant internal loop through.

A normal tuner is locked to a transponder. The main FBC tuners are locked to a quadrant of the transmission. So you get access to more transponders on that quadrant using the 6 leaf tuners.

oh i get you.
    Ok thanks for explaining.