Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: WLAN does not get IP addresse

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

WLAN does not get IP addresse

Apart from the small problems that I have written about before, I have only one major problem with my new Duo 4K: The WLAN connects, but it never gets an IP address or a gateway. I have tried with DHCP and with fixed IP addresses (in the latter case there just is no traffic). On the router, there is nothing in the log; it is as if there is no connection at all. The MAC address of the Duo is not registered in the router log, nor in the WLAN connections.

I fear a hardware error, but cannot really believe it. I am going to get hold of another router and see if it works with that one.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
    The WLAN connects, but it never gets an IP address or a gateway.
    So how do you define "connects"?
    • What does the Vix menu say about the state of the WLAN connexion?
    • What do the debug logs show (assuming you have them enabled).
    • What does /var/log/syslog contain?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    So how do you define "connects"?
    • What does the Vix menu say about the state of the WLAN connexion?
    • What do the debug logs show (assuming you have them enabled).
    • What does /var/log/syslog contain?
    By "connect" I mean that no error comes when I activate the adapter, and a green light is shown under "Connection". A network test says that the connection is fine, but it fails on IP address.

I have not looked at the logs yet, but it is a good idea, and I'll do so as soon as I can.

Title
    Thanks
    I find this also on WLAN. last night I tried to connect WLAN from LAN. It didn't find any wireless SID. I then manually entered my sid and pass. after a restart it connects but there is no info on my ip anywhere. after it connects to WLAN if you search for wireless networks it DOES find local wireless connections.
    I am using latest OpenATV 09/02/19 (latest drivers)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My unit finds all the 2.4 network SSIDs that it should find. I am going to take a look at the debug log when it connects, but so far I have been dealing with other problems.

Title
    Thanks

2.4ghz only

My unit finds all the 2.4 network SSIDs that it should find. I am going to take a look at the debug log when it connects, but so far I have been dealing with other problems.
    If you find wlan only picks up 2.4ghz and not 5ghz. Login to router and change the channel to a different number. I had to do this then it picks up 5ghz. Wierd shoudnt have to do this tho.

Title
    Thanks
    Try to rename your wifi SSID without space and character.I couldn't connect myself till I renamed my ssid and then it worked.

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    BT home hub 5GHz SSID names used to have to end in the characters -5

This may now have changed.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irfyd View Post
    I had to do this then it picks up 5ghz. Wierd shoudnt have to do this tho.
    The channel numbers that are supported at 5GHz seem to vary. It seems that you should only be able to set 36/40/44/48.
    See:
    Code:
     https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/wifi-ieee-802-11/channels-frequencies-bands-bandwidth.php
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I live in a house with lots of WLANs around. I think I once counted more than 20, and of these about 5 have a signal as strong as mine. My present router has a feature where it changes the channels dynamically to find a channel with less interference, and I do not really want to set it to fixed channels.

Anyway, there has been some progress: I have found that I can connect to my guest network that has a very simple password, but no access to my home network. So my problem is probably that my home network uses a password that is either too long, or contains characters that OpenViX does not like. This worked fine on my old Dreambox, so there is something that has changed in recent times. I do not use any national characters, and the only alphanumeric characters are $,@ and _.

When I get the time, I am going to experiment with various passwords until I find something that works.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I had problems with passwords ages ago, different context, but these characters may be the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I had problems with the password - & (and probably < and >, and maybe others) don't work.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Problem solved! The offending character was the dollar sign. I have replaced it with another character, and extended the password to 25 characters, and it works. I just can't understand why there should be a problem with dollar, when it was accepted by Enigma2 on Dreambox.

As icing on the cake, my VU+ Duo 4K now finds and uses my 5 GHz network. It appears that I have moved the unit slightly when I unplugged the cable last time, and this was enough to pick up the 5 GHz network.

Title
    Thanks
    I just can't understand why there should be a problem with dollar
    It's an active shell character (as are |, *, &, < and >).
    So something is running an external command and not quoting the arguments.
    Although even that would fail if the password contained a ' or " (and " wouldn't work for $ either...).
    It really needs to be able to run an external command without involving the shell.

when it was accepted by Enigma2 on Dreambox.
    What version?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    What version?
    Sorry, I can't say. It was bought in 2011, and I never upgraded the OS. Now it is packed away, and is inaccessible.