Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Signal Quality Values

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Depending on location to whatever transmitter signal is received from maybe not all channels are on a very high level and very high downpour can lower line of sight and effect viewing i have found.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Signal levels and quality are 100% on everything I've got (tv's, et10k,toppy), but even light rain affects just one mux.

I can tell if it's raining at night without opening the curtains, just need to tune in to ch60.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Any ideas why just one mux would be so sensitive to local rain - new aerial, new cabling, new variable gain signal booster/splitter, tree branches reduced significantly.
    I'm guessing multiple factors like that specific transmitter power and maybe fact that frequency is on high end so distance reach with higher frequencies get less and less as frequency is higher.

Check out DigitalUK's website. On right, enter postcode/house number and click detail info.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    @abu baniaz:

Have you resolved the problem of identical SNR% and AGC values? If not can you please tell me which skin you are using (and where to find it if not in the standard build) so I can check it isn't a skin problem?

EMJB
    Xtrend Xt10000 with 3 Freeview tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    My bet is if you test the same boxes on other 3rd party images you'll get the same results, therefore you are welcome to ask the manufacturers to fix their drivers for whatever box you have.
    The drivers for several tuners are part of the standard Linux kernel rather then being anything to do with specific manufacturers.
    So on my Xtrend et8000 the Si2169 and TDA18273 drivers are from Xtrend, but the Si2168 and mn88473 (USB tuners) are part of the Linux kernel.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    I tried simple ten eighty as well as ViX night hd.

Edit:
    One is the standard skin for Vix, other is pre-installed on ViX

Title
    Thanks
    TTL310 on Vu Solo 4k does not have identical values. The swap db/% does not have an effect.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    TTL310 on Vu Solo 4k does not have identical values. The swap db/% does not have an effect.

That seems to exonerate the skin, but leaves 2 questions:

(1)What is the swap db/% supposed to do?

(2) What is your SundTek tuner providing as both SNR% and AGC? In the absence of interference I would expect both to behave in a generally similar way to changing signal levels, but I find it inconceivable that they should always be equal to within 1%. Add some in-band interference and I would expect the AGC to go up and the SNR to go down, so the difference is important. I think one of your screenshots showed a common value of 25%, which would equate to an SNR dB figure in the low teens, which is too low to achieve lock. Hence it would seem likely that it is the AGC value that is being reported, but the only way to get a clearer idea would be to use the OpenWibIf AGC command to get the SNR dB figure as well for your strongest and weakest muxes.

EMJB

Title
    Thanks
    I am not going to use openwebif to obtain any details. The values are in Enigma2, buried somewhere. If we need to adapt signalfinder to show the details, then that is what we will have to do.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    @abu baniaz:

I think you have misunderstood my suggestion.

Firstly, there is no need to modify Satfinder/Signal Finder to display the SNR as dB - it is a just a case of using the right skin content - e.g. as in the OpenVix default as shown in the attached screenshot.

screenshot_20190206130924.jpg

Secondly I was only suggesting the use of OpenWebIf (which is merely a convenient way of extracting the information available, as you say, from Enigma) to collect near-simultaneous SNR dB, SNR %, and AGC data as a one-off exercise to try to:

(a) Help pinpoint the source of the problem, and someone to fix it. In particular I would like to rule out with 100% confidence that it is in no way connected to the changes I made to frontend.c

(b) Establish whether the use of your tuner type is likely to cause problems with TerrestrialScan and ABM frequency finder when multiple muxes are detectable.

Use of Signal finder with a skin that displays the dB value would be equally valid way of collecting the information, which might be more convenient.

EMJB

Title
    Thanks
    What is your definition of "OpenViX default" with regards to skin?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Apologies- I had forgotten I changed it many moons ago - I am using ViX-Night_HD

EMJB

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I am easily confused, am I right in saying that ViX-Night_HD is the OpenViX default skin?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I am easily confused, am I right in saying that ViX-Night_HD is the OpenViX default skin?
    IIRC, there is a default skin, and there is a skin which is set by default. These are not the same thing.
    The former is really a set of fallback definitions.
    The latter is set by "DEFAULT_SKIN = "ViX-Night-HD/skin.xml".
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    My definition of Default_Skin is the one that is used when you have no skins. To avoid confusion, I call it "Emergency skin".

The "out of the box" skin is ViX Night HD.

Anyway, ViX Night HD was the same in my tests. I'll try the emergency skin later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast