Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vu+ Duo2 Faulty Internal Flash Memory?

Title
    Thanks

Vu+ Duo2 Faulty Internal Flash Memory?

Any suggestions for this issue or is my Vu+ Duo 2 ****ed? 😱
    It all started when I tried to do an online upgrade about 2 weeks ago...... Done it before loads of times and never had an issue but that time it wouldn't reboot so thought it was a dodgey image. So tried to reload my backup but woundnt reboot from that either so had to do a fresh flash. That works temporarily but if i have to reboot it sticks again on the vu+ logo screen on initial boot.

After this happened I'd do a fresh flash to get it working again but after 3 or 4 days I'd get up in a morning and it'd be stuck on the boot screen? I turned the power off at the rear as it would not respond to remote and the clock would also be frozen on whatever time it had gone wrong. But then after powering off and then trying to reboot it wouldn't get past the vu+ logo screen meaning openvix wouldn't load. It stays like this for a minute or so then goes off and repowers back up but then sticks on the vu+ logo screen again this continues to happen until its powered off and reflashed 😩
    Ive reflashed it numerous times even going back 3 openvix builds incase it was that. Tried loading image backups but then it sticks on the logo again.

I've even reflashed then not installed any plugins, skins etc but it's still doing the same thing. It will reflash as nothing is wrong, I setup everything again, it works fine but then like tonight......I was just watching BBC the screen went black and the front display froze. The remote control would not do anything and I had to power down at the rear. But now it's going to mean a reflash to get everything working but I know it's just going to be frozen again in the morning! 😩🤯
    Also noticed since all this started happening I can no longer do OTA updates like I've always done previously as when it downloads the update now then reboots, it again sticks on the vu+ logo screen. Meaning I have to do a USB flash again 🤯

I thought it could be the 1tb internal HDD so I initialised that which wiped it but then it wouldn't initialise but I could record and playback?

So I disconnected the HDD and reflashed again, setup up the basics with no plugins or skins etc again..... All working ok but tried to do a reboot to check if it was the HDD to blame.....yet again it sticks on the vu+ logo and keeps doing as before stated above!

Thinking I've got a problem with the flash memory just wondered if this is fixable? Can the flash memory be replaced? It's a genuine box and has worked faultlessly for over 3 years. My last option I was thinking could I reflash the latest bootloader (V2 is already on it) but now worried if I do this and it's the flash at fault will it brick my box?

Sorry for the long story but just wanted to add as much detail as possible as I love my Duo2 and don't really wanting to be forking out to replace it if it can be fixed as they're not cheap.

Currently box has been reflashed and is working as normal and I'm just keeping an eye on the flash memory info. Currently states total = 862.3M and free = 729.4M. I want to see if this reduces over the next few days (HDD still disconnected and I'll make sure no recordings are attempted)

Cheers all

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi mate
    Have you tried using a different image like black hole to see how that performs also what about resetting
    back to factory settings to see how that runs. I take it your downloading fresh images from our site and not
    off some other source.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satmanbasil For This Useful Post:

steevieboy4u (31-01-19)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Do you have any EPG importers setup, if so where are you storing the DATA?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

steevieboy4u (31-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for reply. Not tried any other images, and I've always downloaded from here or done online updates via Vix. Been doing that everytime a new update is available and never had any issues every since getting the box 2-3 years ago, until now

Not tried doing a factory reset but a mate (Danny) sent me a original vu+ Duo2 image which I installed. Worked ok (like Vix does after fresh flash install via USB) I then tried to reboot my box to see if it was sorted, on doing this it stuck on the vu+ logo screen again
    Last edited by steevieboy4u; 31-01-19 at 11:33.

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers for the reply. It's not setup up any longer as I want to see how it performs but previously it was always set to my external USB stick in the back of the box, like I used to do with my older vu+ duo. Just checked now and it's set to flash as the internal hard drive isn't connected but it's set so does not auto download.

Title
    Thanks
    So I was chatting with Steve, as he originally messaged me regarding his Duo2, so far from what I have seen.

1. on one image his Flash memory said Line - Free was 8000 bytes.
    2. his internal hdd would not initialise at all, suspected bad blocks (suggested he remove when testing)
    3. Sent him a vuplus genuine stock image, flashed fine, nothing set up, reboot, stuck on boot.
    4. Tried latest OpenVix, if reboots same thing, if no reboot he can last a day or so, then gets a crash and wont reboot.
    5. But its a weird and hard to pinpoint, if flashes fine, nothing setup, then gets stuck on reboot.

I have also suggested maybe trying new power supply cable, clutching at straws on that one lol.

We also run

cat /proc/meminfo and then df -h via telnet.

Which didn't show no obvious signs or errors when on a fresh flash.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danny121pt For This Useful Post:

steevieboy4u (31-01-19),Willo3092 (31-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    He is still running and has been since yesturday on latest vix (no restarting) and is gonna keep eye on any leaks/flash and when it has a hissy fit, see if can see what/where it was doing at the time etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers bud

Title
    Thanks

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Do you have any ports forwarded to the duo2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Not sure? From my router? I've never set any or used or setup anything like that before?

Why do you ask?

Is there a way I can check and see?
    Last edited by steevieboy4u; 31-01-19 at 13:36.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    If you are forwarding ports from your router to your VU+, anyone can access your box, and this may be the cause of your crashes.

Menu > Information > Streaming clients will tell you if your box is currently being compromised.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

steevieboy4u (31-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    IMG_20190131_191827.jpg

I've always had a password set as well.

IMG_20190131_191902.jpg

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    A password won't stop them, if you are port forwarding then the check above only applies at the time you do it.

Someone may crash the box to cover their tracks, or just for the hell of it.

Removing your box from the network might be a good test.

If you're not port forwarding, then forget what I've just posted.
    Last edited by ccs; 31-01-19 at 20:35. Reason: typo

Title
    Thanks
    I've never set up any port forwarding before. Just logged into my router as admin and nothing is set up. So can't see that being the issue. If some one had accessed my box what could they do? Could they prevent it from rebooting and cause the issues I've got? Still got a feeling it's got something to do with the flash. It's been running fine now for 2 day's. But dare not reboot because I know it'll stick on the logo. Flash still seems ok as well?

f37a92a2-e45d-4e85-810a-6d931775e058.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast