Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Timer Recording - no recording - zero length file

Title
    Thanks

Timer Recording - no recording - zero length file

Hi

New GB box - have made a few timer recordings from the EPG and also manual timer from channel without EPG (same channel as the one that failed - Mezzo Live HD). I set a timer yesterday evening because we were asked out to dinner. Checked this morning - initially on the network and then on the box itself. The recording appears to have taken place because a file was created on the HDD with the right time and title. However it's 0k and thus empty/void.

I checked the timer settings, which seem to be identical to the one I set previously which worked fine.

This timer record was off the station that the box was set to and I was watching before I set the timer, so not a motorised dish or change in channel issue.

Any ideas of what I can check?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Go to timers, and highlight the completed timer, then press info - it may give some clues there.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Go to timers, and highlight the completed timer, then press info - it may give some clues there.
    Ah - it tried to record onto Tuner B. My box has 2 feeds from the dish - A=motorised B=spare direct feed (from whatever A has set the dish to).

My B feed was actually connected to a different box at the time, so that explains the null recording.

I don't understand though why it tried to use Tuner B - I don't see anywhere where I can choose A or B. Should I maybe set Tune B to Disabled (while it's connected to another box - which I've been using for feed blind search, which the GB doesn't seem to do)?

As there are FBC tuners in the GB, why wouldn't it just use the next available tuners within A? Or are those dependent on whether B is active or not?

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Am i reading it correctly your 2 feeds from motorised are say on hotbird,and your recording might be on a different sat?
    B might be in use on other box via client mode?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can set preferred tuners, but still potentially problematic.

Golden rule of tuner configuration is that it must match what is connected to it.

If there is nothing connected to the tuner, disable it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

goldnet (28-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Am i reading it correctly your 2 feeds from motorised are say on hotbird,and your recording might be on a different sat?
    No, no - if both my cables are connected, I have the motorised cable connected to Tuner A and the spare/direct cable connected to Tuner B. That would allow me to record something on, say, Hotbird on Tuner A and a different station - though still on Hotbird A - on Tuner B. I think that's what the box did.

However, because I had the second cable connected to a different box at the time, the GB didn't find a signal on Tuner B and there was therefore no signal/no recording.

I believe...

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You can set preferred tuners, but still potentially problematic.

Golden rule of tuner configuration is that it must match what is connected to it.

If there is nothing connected to the tuner, disable it.
    Yes, that's what I believe happened. The cable to Tuner B, which the GB was trying to use for the recording, was connected elsewhere.

What i don't understand is why it didn't record using Tuner A as that was set to the right station anyway. Is this a case where one sets the Zap and Record option on the timer, maybe?

I am gong to do a test this evening with Tuner B disabled and 2 concurrent recordings and see if one goes to Tuner A and the other to the next of the FCB virtual tuners...

I don't think I'm doing anything so clever as using client mode - though that's an option if I can work out what that means and how to do it!

When wanting to watch a live screen relay feed, I am using an old TM box which can find the feed on blind scan - so pop the spare cable onto that. I've not worked out how to find the feed on the GB yet - manual scan didn't find work, hardware blind scan not working yet I'm told.

Is there a way to set the precise setting manually, using the details from the TP/channel found on the TM box, maybe?

Title
    Thanks
    The tuner with fewest available services is the one that is normally used for recordings.

It has been told there is a cable connected, so it will try to use it. There is no "try another tuner if you get tuner error" for recordings.

If you find something by blind scan on the TM, why not scan for that service on the GB. You will have to enter the scanning details. Also share the frequency details so that others can benefit.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    The tuner with fewest available services is the one that is normally used for recordings.

It has been told there is a cable connected, so it will try to use it. There is no "try another tuner if you get tuner error" for recordings.

If you find something by blind scan on the TM, why not scan for that service on the GB. You will have to enter the scanning details. Also share the frequency details so that others can benefit.
    Hi Abu

OK - I'm away for a few days and have set the TM box to do a timer record on an opera feed tomorrow so more tests at the weekend.

Last night I tried to record two concurrent channels on timer - Mezzo Live HD and Mezzo. The second cable was connected to the TM box. Tuner B on the GB disabled. I had hoped the two recordings would take place on different FBC tuners. One of the recorded took place correctly on one of the FBC tuners. However, the box wouldn't permit the other - claimed a conflict.

Having looked at the info for Mezzo Live and Mezzo, they are different frequencies (transponders?) so assume that's the cause of the conflict (so I need to check my channel selections more carefully if I am to do this often!).

I had thought FCB allowed multiple channels as long as they were on the same satellite position. Having done more reading tonight, I now think that might only be in a unicable setup - which for some reason doesn't work with a motorised dish (which mine is, so not unicable cabling or LNB). For non-unicable, they need to be on the same TP - same quadrant too?

Title
    Thanks
    I don't know if you are asking or stating.

A universal LNB switches mode. It cannot be two at the same time.

BTW, it is possible to use unicable on motorised, but it is not designed for it. There are a few tutorials on Youtube. It is prone to issues, so we won't be advocating it.