Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zap timer problem

Title
    Thanks

Zap timer problem

Dear all

I would like to use the timer function to ZAP for a given regular transmission, whenever it starts. So I entered from single EPG to the timer settings and filled out what was needed. The transmission is on from MO to SA at the same time.

I was surprised that also on Sunday the box switched to the channel. Obviously the timer does not look up the EPG but just runs like the old video recorders did by data/time.

Is is possible to have set the timer in a way that it only switches when the selected transmission really starts?

I attach a screenshot with my settings.Timer_settings.jpg

Furthermore I noticed that when the timer starts from standby it asks me whether it should go back to standby? This is very odd.

Thanks for your help
    nekrub2
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Create an autotimer from the epg, set for everyday, you can zap rather than record.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

nekrub2 (28-01-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    All you really need to do is change the timer value for repeats from daily to the days you want.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkr001 View Post
    All you really need to do is change the timer value for repeats from daily to the days you want.
    That only runs on the days you specify and at the time you've specified, an autotimer automatically adjusts the times and days when the program is actually broadcast.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrub2 View Post
    I would like to use the timer function to ZAP for a given regular transmission, whenever it starts. So I entered from single EPG to the timer settings and filled out what was needed. The transmission is on from MO to SA at the same time.
    "whenever it starts" and "at the same time" are, to me, incompatible. It's one or the other.
    To do it whenever it starts, use an AutoTimer to set the relevant Timer(s).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Furthermore I noticed that when the timer starts from standby it asks me whether it should go back to standby? This is very odd.
    Do you think it should not prompt and go straight to Standby (whilst you may still be watching) or that it shouldn't prompt and stay active?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Hi birdman

The prompt comes just after waking up from standby. At this point it does not make sense to ask, whether I would like to go to standy again. So no prompt at all and stay active.

Best regards
    nekrub2
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    Thanks
    The prompt comes just after waking up from standby.
    Ah, that is significant!
    At this point it does not make sense to ask, whether I would like to go to standy again.
    True.
    My suspicion is that this timer, being a Zap timer, is finished as soon as the box wakes up (a recording timer is only finished when the recording ends).
    And the default action of a timer when it ends is to ask you about going back to the original state if that was a standby state.
    Looks like this should be ignored for Zap timers - particularly since a Zap timer doesn't allow you to set what to do at the end of it (recording times do).

EDIT (for me..):
    Looks like the code at RecordTimer.py:620 (...next_state == self.StateEnded...) should check self.justplay and skip the "From here on we are checking whether to put the box into Standby or Deep Standby." blocks if True.
    Last edited by birdman; 08-02-19 at 02:36.

Title
    Thanks
    I can reproduce this.
    It appears to be result of the zap timer being a repeat one (a one-off zap looks OK - but I'm not sure why* - so setting an Auto Timer, which is what you really want anyway, wouldn't show the problem).
    Not quite as simple as I first thought, though, as the log entry for this timer shows:
    <log code="12" time="1549627501">stop recording on tuner: (fallback) stream</log>
    when it stops. So the logging code needs to handle zap timers better too....

EDIT:
    *it seems that the end time for a one-off Zap timer is set to be 3m01s ahead of the start time. So you have to wait that long to get the prompt...so the AT comment is incorrect.

EDIT2:
    Fix submitted:
    Code:
     https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/379
    EDIT3:
    Fix committed:
    Code:
    https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/f0798d8cb545a19d77d318333d0d82a64db79a2e
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 08-02-19 at 20:35. Reason: EDIT 3

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (09-02-19),adm (08-02-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

The issue is that a previous change to this code removed the duration element of Zap timers. Without the duration as soon as the Zap timer fires it immediately triggers its after event.

Apart from this after event issue removing the duration from Zap timers also creates the following issues:
    - As the Zap timer no longer has a duration it is no longer able to be displayed in the EPG.
    - As the Zap timer effectively finishes when it starts other timers can then take over the tuner and change the service while the Zap timer should actually be active.

All these hacks to the code should be reversed. Zap timers should be put back the way they were originally designed and implemented.

Regards,
    Ian.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanSav For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (09-02-19),Willo3092 (09-02-19)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Actually I agree with Ian. Zap timers should have a duration. If not no collision warning will be given.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (09-02-19),Willo3092 (09-02-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Zap timers are shown on EPG even with no end time.

Change that has been committed fixes the reported issue. If there is a better fix, it can be added.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

birdman (09-02-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Actually I agree with Ian. Zap timers should have a duration. If not no collision warning will be given.
    But what duration? For instance I zap to a news programme, watch the headlines at the start and then usually immediately change channels again if there is nothing of interest in those headlines. Isn't the function of a zap time fulfilled immedately it changes channels?

There is a "Enable timer conflict detection" option when setting a Zap timer. Isn't this good enough to show that when setting the time of change the channel there may also be something in conflict for recording/zapping.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanSav View Post
    The issue is that a previous change to this code removed the duration element of Zap timers. Without the duration as soon as the Zap timer fires it immediately triggers its after event.
    As I noted, the ones I set had a duration of 3m01s (possibly just 3m...).
    And the issue was what happened at the end of this time.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    But what duration? For instance I zap to a news programme, watch the headlines at the start and then usually immediately change channels again if there is nothing of interest in those headlines. Isn't the function of a zap time fulfilled immedately it changes channels?
    It should be.
    You could argue that you should be able to set the end of a zap timer, to force a free tuner for the whole duration of a programme you wish to watch. But that would be a Watch timer, not a Zap timer, and that is not how the code currently works, nor is it how it is currently intended to work.
    Of course, if you had such a timer you'd then have to implement code to disable the user from switching channel without deleting the current "Watch timer". All of which strikes me as wrong.

There is a "Enable timer conflict detection" option when setting a Zap timer. Isn't this good enough to show that when setting the time of change the channel there may also be something in conflict for recording/zapping.
    Yes - that is all in place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast