Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto-Timer v Timer

Title
    Thanks

Auto-Timer v Timer

This may be a daft question: What exactly is the difference between the timer and the auto-timer (Green and Blue button)?
    It seems that both afford repeat recordings?

Relatedly, is there a way to get recordings organised, i.e. when you record a series that there is ONE entry, and you then get the sub-entries, rather than have all episodes at the root level?

Many thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to marcjens For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (14-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Auto Timer is similar to a Series Link function. A Timer is just a one off recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (14-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjens View Post
    Relatedly, is there a way to get recordings organised, i.e. when you record a series that there is ONE entry, and you then get the sub-entries, rather than have all episodes at the root level?
    Create sub-directories (Locations) and create auto-timers to put the recordings into the one you want.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    A Timer is just a one off recording.
    Or repeat at the same time every day/week/etc, but that can't handle things where episodes occur at different times
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjens View Post
    This may be a daft question: What exactly is the difference between the timer and the auto-timer (Green and Blue button)?
    It seems that both afford repeat recordings?

Many thanks
    there is the movie organiser plugin.

can we rename "timer" and "auto timer" to "record" and "record series"?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EGGMANCAN View Post

Timers (and autotimers) are not only used for recording.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Although an autotimer can be used to to set timers to record a series that is not its only function so your suggested names could also cause some confusion. Also you have the ability to instantly record what you are watching so the "record" name is already taken.

An autotimer can be used to set a future timer for program with the same or similar name on one or more channels and is not limited to a single series.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (21-01-19),Willo3092 (15-01-19)

Title
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Although an autotimer can be used to to set timers to record a series that is not its only function so your suggested names could also cause some confusion. Also you have the ability to instantly record what you are watching so the "record" name is already taken.

An autotimer can be used to set a future timer for program with the same or similar name on one or more channels and is not limited to a single series.
    How can we make this more clear / simple for users coming from standard Sly / Virmin receivers? How would they know what this means? Would an (i) pop-up work?

Listen, somebody in my family does not know what AutoTimer or Timer means. Can we separate Timer and Record? Can we rename "Timer" to "Reminder"?

When you press the Record button on your remote it shows: "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer". Both of these options need to be renamed to "Record" and "Record Series". You do not press the Record button on your remote to add a reminder or auto channel switch.

Currently in the EPG we have the Green button labelled as "Add Timer" and we have the Blue button as "Add". Let's make the Green button "Record" with an additional pop-up saying "Record" and "Record Series". Then let's rename the Blue button to "Add Timer" and include all of the timer options within that one single button please.
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 21-01-19 at 12:41.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ...time you taught then what it means then.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    ...time you taught then what it means then.
    When you have a Virmin or Sly box do you have a technician teaching you what all the controls are? no. all of the options are labelled in a self-descriptive way.

Also why do we have two buttons "Green" and "Blue" for just one function "Timer"? This is confusing not only for the people in my family but for me too! The options for adding a timer should be accessible using just one button and the same for recording. These two options need to be separated.
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 21-01-19 at 12:51.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EGGMANCAN For This Useful Post:

goRt (22-01-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When you have a Virmin or Sly box do you have a technician teaching you what all the controls are? no. all of the options are labelled in a self-descriptive way.
    I'd stick to just using those boxes if you're finding enigma2 too complicated.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

craig1979 (23-01-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When you press the Record button on your remote it shows: "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer". Both of these options need to be renamed to "Record" and "Record Series".
    If you want these features then learn how to edit the relevant python files yourself.
    All the images that I know of use Timer and Autotimer because it is a more accurate description of what they actually do.
    For example, long pressing the 'record' button will set a zap timer to change channels at the specified time. It doesn't record it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (22-01-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My mother has recently "upgraded" to a Virgin Tivo box. In my option a poorly thought out user interface with many common needed functions hidden down six levels of menu or selected on a remote button only readable by someone with 20:20 vision.

I suggest that an Enigma 2/OpenVix box is no more difficult to learn than a Sky or Virgin box but you may have just got used to the boxes you previously owned and believe that this is thae way all boxes should work.

I too came from a different type of box (a Topfield box running Mystuff) and changing to a Enigma2/Openvix did take some change of mind set albeit I did understand from my previous box that the Autotimer function is a lot more than series link and it could confuse many by labelling it so.

You seem to be selecting Autotimer by pressing the record button which gives you the quick setting from the default values you may have set (or if you haven't configured them youself the defaults someone else has selected). Ths quick set-up doesn't necessarily show all the options and filters that can be set. If you use the alternative way of setting an Autotimer by pressing Blue within the EPG you will see two screens of configuration which may show you that autotimers can set more than series linking.

Also why do we have two buttons "Green" and "Blue" for just one function "Timer"? This is confusing not only for the people in my family but for me too! The options for adding a timer should be accessible using just one button and the same for recording. These two options need to be separated.
    The recording button allows you to set two different things. The Green and Blue buttons allow you to set two different things.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (21-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    If you want these features then learn how to edit the relevant python files yourself.
    All the images that I know of use Timer and Autotimer because it is a more accurate description of what they actually do.
    For example, long pressing the 'record' button will set a zap timer to change channels at the specified time. It doesn't record it.
    Why on earth would you use the record button with a red record symbol to set a zap timer??

Title
    Thanks
    do all of you believe that the box is the best it can be and that it can no longer be improved? do you really think this is the simplest setup possible for the recording/auto timer functions? this isn't even my thread! clearly there is an issue with this and none of you want to make it any better?

I believe the setup should be more similar to this:
    Blue = "Record"
    Green = "Timer"

Press Blue 1x = "Record Event (i)", "Record Series (i)".
    Press Green 1x = "Add Timer (i)", "Add AutoTimer (i)"

Hover over "Record event (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Record this single event and add it to your recordings..."
    Hover over "Record Series (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Record every event with the same name at the same time on a weekly basis and add them to your recordings..."

Hover over "Add Timer (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Add a notification at the start time of the event to remind you that your program is about to start..."

also I like your idea of editing the python files myself, I just wanted to help the rest of the community out too so that we can make this software better together for everyone.
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 22-01-19 at 11:10.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast