Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Tuner configuration: Triax TDSR 508 multiswitch and VU+ Duo 4k (Twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner )

Title
    Thanks

Tuner configuration: Triax TDSR 508 multiswitch and VU+ Duo 4k (Twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner )

Hi all,
    Hope you can help, I have been trying to setup my VU+ Duo 4K with the Triax TDSR 508 multiswitch to allow 8 channels of recording and so far not been successful.
    My LNB is an Inverto Quattro (IDLB-QUTL40-PREMU-OPP)
    The tuner in my Duo 4K a Twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner plugged into the Tuner A slot.
    The cable connecting the tuner is plugged into the top connector of the tuner card
    I am running OpenVix 5.2.019
    The satellite I am tuned to is Astra 28.2E

So far I can tune all the stations in simple mode which proves that the card and hardware is working but that doesn't allow me to use the FBC element of the tuner and make multiple recordings.
    I also have two outputs from the switch connected to a Sky+ HD box which is working fine - again showing that the Switch and LNB is fine.

Some queries
    1. Does it make a difference which physical input on the tuner card that I use (Top or bottom)?
    2. How is the top or bottom card input recognised in OpenVix - I can't find anyway of selecting it.
    3. How should I setup the tuner so I can make multiple recordings?
    4. Which User band frequencies should I select for each of the tuners (A-H)?
    The switch is capable of providing Sky UK/ Unicable I and Unicable II user bands (see attached 318182-318183-318184-tdscr504-2-61804.pdf)
    I am using it for Freesat and have chosen the Jesse/Unicable II (EN50607) settings. However, its not working

I have tried the following without success:

Tuner A
    Configuration mode: Advanced
    Satellite: 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G
    LNB: LNB 1
    Priority: Auto
    Type of LNB/Device: SCR(Unicable/Jess)
    SCR (Unicable/JESS) type: User Defined
    Format: SCR JESS
    Position: 1
    Channel: User band 1 (UB4 - According to TDSR user manual)
    Frequency: 09850
    LOF/L: 09750
    LOF/H: 10600
    Threshold: 11700
    Connected: No
    DiSEqC mode: None
    Force legacy signal stats: No

Tuner B
    Channel: User band 2 (UB5 - According to TDSR user manual)
    Frequency: 10500
    Connected: yes
    Connected to: Tuner A: Vuplus DVB-S NIM(45308x FBC) (DVB-S2X)

Tuner C
    Channel: User band 3 (UB6 - According to TDSR user manual)
    Frequency: 11500
    Connected: yes
    Connected to: Tuner A: Vuplus DVB-S NIM(45308x FBC) (DVB-S2X)

Tuners D=> H I configured as Tuners B and C but with the following User bands:
    D: User band 4: 12750 (UB7 - According to TDSR user manual)
    E: User band 5: 13400 (UB8 - According to TDSR user manual)
    F: User band 6: 14850 (UB9 - According to TDSR user manual)
    G: User band 7: 15500 (UB10 - According to TDSR user manual)
    H: User band 8: 01615 (UB11 - According to TDSR user manual)
    Last edited by New2SAT; 05-01-19 at 15:50.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Top and Bottom are physical tuners A and B. I am not too sure which is which, but think top is A. You can disable all other tuners and establish which is which.

If A and B have signal wires attached, both of them should have "connected" set to no.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    I've got no experience with this multi-switch, so this just a guess.

Wideband is for Sky Q, this is not Unicable. Your using Quattro LNB which is not wideband nor Unicable.

As far as I'm aware you would have to set the Duo4K tuners as follows:

Tuners A & B - Simple > Single > Astra 28.2, Tuners C to H all automatic. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to use it as Unicable using feeds from that switch, but I could be wrong.

I think you would have been better with this LNB and splitters:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...e-lnb-3-legacy

Splitters here: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...t-unicable-lnb

Legacy outputs for your Sky+ and Unicable output for your Duo4k so you could get full use of FBC tuners.

Like I said this is a guess and I could be wrong.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    With that switch I dont think you can do a single cable setup like unicable.

See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-configuration

Example unicable settings with a single cable:

Tuner A

Satellite: 28.2E
    SCR (Unicable/JESS) type: LNB
    Manufacturer: GT-Sat
    Model: dLNB dHello
    Channel: Userband 1 (0975)
    Connected: No

Tuner B

Satellite: 28.2E
    SCR (Unicable/JESS) type: LNB
    Manufacturer: GT-Sat
    Model: dLNB dHello
    Channel: Userband 2 (1025)
    Connected: Yes
    Connected to: Tuner A (Tuner A is one with the signal wire attached to it) <<<<< You do not get this option with the setup you are trying to do.

Tuners B to H would be similar to above.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu,
    Thanks for the reply.

Just checked and the physical wire is connected to the top input on the card.
    I'm assuming this is Tuner A.

However, my testing (just now) is inconclusive.
    I set Tuner A to disabled, Tuner B to simple and Tuners C-H to FBC automatic.

I then did an auto tune on Tuner B and pulled in 250 Astra 28.2 channels
    Is this what I should expect?
    If the Top and Bottom inputs are treated as physical tuners, I would have expected to not be able to tune at all.
    That said when tuning on Channel A - I pull down 900 plus channels, so it would seems logical to assume that the top input is channel A given that that's what the wire is connected to.

Any thoughts on how I was able to tune the 250 channels with Tuner A disabled and no wire on the bottom input (Assumed channel B)?
    Last edited by New2SAT; 05-01-19 at 17:27.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I've had a quick look through the Manual, see my replies above.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    The demodulators within an FBC unit are linked internally. This may explain the reception. Your subsequent post does not state whether the connected option was enabled or not.

Can you also elaborate as to whether both tuners have signal wires attached?

Unicable switches use Quattro LNBs mainly. Some will take wideband too others will also take quads. Important thing is what is sent out.

There have been a few questions about using a Sky receiver with a unicable LNB. No definite answer yet.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Problem I see with switch settings is that you can't link tuners B to H, to tuner A.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    A unicable switch will provide same signal as unicable LNB. We will need to look at code if what should be available isn't.

The switch I bought is still packed away after the move. I'll try and connect up soon if it is mild.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu,
    More detail on the connections.

In all cases, single tuner card (Twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner) with two physical inputs installed in Tuner A physical chassis location

Scenario 1
    Single WF100 wire physically connected to the Top card input / NO physical connection to bottom card input

Tuner A settings
    Configuration mode: Simple
    Mode: Single
    Satellite: 28.2E 2E/2F/2G

Tuner B settings
    Configuration mode: Disabled

Autotune: 953 channels found

Tuner A settings

Tuner B settings

Autotune: 229 channels found

Scenario 2
    Single WF100 wire physically connected to the Bottom card input / NO physical connection to Top card input

Tuner A settings

Tuner B settings

Autotune: 288 channels found

Tuner A settings

Tuner B settings

Autotune: 960 channels found

Not sure why there's a discrepancy in the numbers in each 'non-connected' scenario (288 vs 229) but what is does show consistently that it is possible to tune on either tuner A or B when nothing physically is actually connected.
    Last edited by New2SAT; 06-01-19 at 12:19.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu
    My understanding is the same as yours.
    Hence my surprise that its not working when I configure it as if it were a standard SBC LNB.
    I do have the GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 SCR/dCSS Single Cable Unicable II LNB which Sicilian was recommending and all worked fine.
    The reason for adding the switch is that I am planning to add a SAT >IP server to the distribution and a switch is the easiest way to keep terrestrial for backup and add the SAT >IP server.

Thanks for your support, if you get to the bottom of this, please let me know what I need to do to configure OpenVix/ theVU+ Duo 4K to work with this switch

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Problem I see with switch settings is that you can't link tuners B to H, to tuner A.
    Hi Sicilian,
    Not sure what you mean?
    The settings described above I have been able to configure using the OpenVix interface - linking tuners B-H to Tuner A (I can provide screenshots if it helps).
    How the tuner, OS reacts to that configuration I don't know but its clearly not working, hence my queries.

Thanks ...

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SAT View Post
    Hi Sicilian,
    Not sure what you mean?
    The settings described above I have been able to configure using the OpenVix interface - linking tuners B-H to Tuner A (I can provide screenshots if it helps).
    How the tuner, OS reacts to that configuration I don't know but its clearly not working, hence my queries.

Thanks ...
    Read post Four.

Why exactly do you want to setup Satip server? What are you trying to do?
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Read post Four.
    Hi Sicilian,
    Thanks for the replies.Just re-read that. Apologies, but I'm still not understanding you
    Are you referring to the line in RED: Connected to: Tuner A (Tuner A is one with the signal wire attached to it) <<<<< You do not get this option with the setup you are trying to do.

If so, I have been able to configure that.

Why exactly do you want to setup Satip server? What are you trying to do?
    Overall, what I'm trying to achieve is:

1. Replace the SkyHD+ box with the Duo 4K
    2. Be able to record up to 8 channels at the same time on my Duo 4K.
    3. Enable Multi-room so that recordings can be made/watched from any TV location
    4. Allow the wife to use the system as if it were Sky+
    5. Enable Freeview as backup (we already have a Freeview/RF distribution solution using a Triax DDU) - The switch allows me to combine the Sat and Freeview signals and break them out at the room faceplate. I can also pass it through direct to the DDU.
    6. Once I have the above working add in a SAT >IP server - mostly for interest but also as another option for watching recorded TV - The switch allows me to pass the originating SAT signal direct to the IP >SAT server

The switch has 8 outputs all of which are independent of each other and configure themselves as either Legacy/ Unicable (EN50494) or Unicable II (Jess - EN50607)
    The two outputs that are connected to the Sky HD+ box are working fine in legacy mode and freeview is being passed direct to the DDU. Other than the issues I'm having with FBC, it seems to be working fine.

As mentioned previously, I do have the GT-SAT LNB you suggested and given the above I replaced it with the Quattro and the switch to provide maximum flexibility.

As an aside. my research so far suggests that the simplest option for points 3&4 is to use a technomate HDMI IR Modulator and purchase additional magic eyes and VU+ remotes
    (We already have an EDISION modulator which passes through the IR to the Sky box but I've not been able to find a way to break out the IR separately so I can use the EDISION with NON-Sky equipment- the Technomate has that as a standard feature)
    Is there someway to do this that you are aware of?

Hope this clarifies …
    Thanks again for your interest and support
    Last edited by New2SAT; 06-01-19 at 14:20.