Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Set up help for new GB E2 box + motorised dish

Title
    Thanks

Set up help for new GB E2 box + motorised dish

Hi Group - Happy New Year!

Got new Gigablue UHD UE 4K box for Christmas. Fitted HDD and flashed with latest OpenVix image. Think I also downloaded VHannibal channel list for motorised dish (on the box itself, not FTP).

My dish was installed using a TM-5402, which is working fine. The old-school installer doesn't know E2 boxes and I reckon I can handle that part (with so many friends here!). He's left me a loan TM-5402 box so I can crosscheck thngs but also be able to identify/control dish positions for setup.

Only thing is we couldn't get the TM set up to use USALS, only DiSeq 1.2 (which means manually finding and tuning each satellite in turn, which I thought USALS avoided). Didn't think that mattered as I'd load a channel list and EPG for the GB anyway.

Where I've got stuck is the exact sequence I need to follow and how to access channels and bouquets. I've read the GB manual, the OpenVix one and several guides and threads on here.

Latitude and longitude are correctly entered in Tuner Configuration, it's Set to Advanced, use USALS (Select satellites) but even if I set the dish correctly to Thor 1W (on the TM), when I then use Positioner (Select satellites) and a TP I know has strong signal, no signal is found on the GB. When I come out of Setup, the dish goes off to Hotbird 13E and finds nothing.

Questions:
    If I've loaded a channel list, do I need to scan channels at all?
    How do I set the GB to accept the 'real' dish position for Thor so it can find the other satellites?
    How do I find the bouquets I thought I'd loaded

I'll then go on to edit the bouquets on the computer (have DBEditor and Echannelizer at the ready)...

Many thanks

Can someone help me with a 1-2-3 starter guide?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Scanning:
    You don't need to scan if you have a settings/channel pack installed.

Only considerations are that the "settings" will not contain services that have changed since the pack was created
    The channels on the plugin server are only up to date as the last time a build was run on the build server. To me, it is a waste of time having these on the plugin server, we run a build roughly every two weeks. You can get Vhannibals most recent pack using his plugin.
    The settings will contain services you cannot receive. For example, it has 28.2 services. People in Italy won't be able to get most of them.

Bouquets:
    On most receivers, on openvix, pressing the TV button opens th bouquets list. The Gigablue does not have that button, I'll try and add the F1 key to achieve that. For all receivers, press up (next to OK), blue button will be favourites.

However, consider using the Green for satellites instead so that you can pick from a specific satellite. There is a limited functionality of searching channel names, you can only do first letter.

More info here:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...s-and-Bouquets

Tuner configuration:
    I'm sure you have your tuner configuration wrong. Section 1.5 of the Vix manual describes how to set up a motor for non-usals. You are meant to say "no" for use USALS, The picture does show yes, ignore it.

In terms of 1,2,3,

Download latest pack from
    Code:
    http://www.vhannibal.net/
    Transfer to receiver using your channel editor program

Set up tuner correctly for non-usals

optional:
    If the motor followed the arc properly, you could set it for usals and fool the software by offsetting your co-ordinates. The better fix would be to move motor assembly slightly so it can use USALS.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Scanning:
    You don't need to scan if you have a settings/channel pack installed.

Only considerations are that the "settings" will not contain services that have changed since the pack was created
    The channels on the plugin server are only up to date as the last time a build was run on the build server. To me, it is a waste of time having these on the plugin server, we run a build roughly every two weeks. You can get Vhannibals most recent pack using his plugin.
    The settings will contain services you cannot receive. For example, it has 28.2 services. People in Italy won't be able to get most of them.

Bouquets:
    On most receivers, on openvix, pressing the TV button opens th bouquets list. The Gigablue does not have that button, I'll try and add the F1 key to achieve that. For all receivers, press up (next to OK), blue button will be favourites.

However, consider using the Green for satellites instead so that you can pick from a specific satellite. There is a limited functionality of searching channel names, you can only do first letter.

More info here:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...s-and-Bouquets

Tuner configuration:
    I'm sure you have your tuner configuration wrong. Section 1.5 of the Vix manual describes how to set up a motor for non-usals. You are meant to say "no" for use USALS, The picture does show yes, ignore it.

In terms of 1,2,3,

Download latest pack from
    Code:
    http://www.vhannibal.net/
    Transfer to receiver using your channel editor program

Set up tuner correctly for non-usals

optional: If the motor followed the arc properly, you could set it for usals and fool the software by offsetting your co-ordinates. The better fix would be to move motor assembly slightly so it can use USALS.
    Dear Abu

Thanks so much for such a swift and helpful reply.

I'll work my way through this evening.

Couple of comments/queries:
    1. I am in the UK - someone on here recommended the VHannibal bouquet and it was on the GB server to download. Now I can see the list (using up arrow as you said!), I see it's Italy-centric. I am in the UK and using the dish for all available European areas. I will load UK channels on 28.2 as a backup for when my wife is using both record tuners on our Freeview Play box!

If there's another leading well-maintained bouquet you'd suggest, I'm not tied to VHannibal. For example on here, I see Predr@g is the most up to date and MaliMali is on my box and here...

2. Green button for satellite selection would be great (the TM has a Sat button) and a 1st letter sequence/search is fine if I know which sat I'm on. (Blue button at the moment gives 1. CrossEPG, 2. EPG-Importer, 3. Softcam, 4. ViX Blue Activate PiP)

3. Tuner configuration - is there any advantage to trying to get USALS work, rather than DiSeqc? I only went for the Advanced config because that was where the only mention is USALS was.

optional: On the TM, the dish tracks fine satellite to satellite but we did set and tune satellite by satellite using a list of strongest TPs and Diseqc 1.2, as the USALS autoscan didn't move to the next satellite to scan. What I am assuming is that the engineer didn't enter the right coordinates at the start so there's a built-in error/difference from my actual location.

Maybe if I entered the coordinates the TM box thinks I'm at onto the GB, that would be the correct offset for USALS? Or is there a mathematical way to calculate the offset to enter into the GB?

Me touching the dish isn't an option as it's big, high up and I could ruin the install!

Title
    Thanks
    2. Green button for satellite selection would be great (the TM has a Sat button) and a 1st letter sequence/search is fine if I know which sat I'm on. (Blue button at the moment gives 1. CrossEPG, 2. EPG-Importer, 3. Softcam, 4. ViX Blue Activate PiP)
    After you press up

3. Tuner configuration - is there any advantage to trying to get USALS work, rather than DiSeqc? I only went for the Advanced config because that was where the only mention is USALS was.
    Ease and time. If it is 1 degree out, adjust yours by the same

Title
    Thanks
    Bouquets:
    On most receivers, on openvix, pressing the TV button opens th bouquets list.

The Gigablue does not have that button, I'll try and add the F1 key to achieve
    Correction, the button is there. Top left of remote, TV/radio button.

Title
    Thanks
    Correction, the button is there. Top left of remote, TV/radio button.
    Ah-ha - got it! Thanks.

Plan on tryng to work out the offset over the weekend. Think it might be worth the extra time spent to get USALS working. It may be that the TM box thinks it's in UK and the default coordinates on the GB are Germany, so tweak those back bit by bit as a start.

Keep you posted!

Title
    Thanks
    The way I have learnt to do a motor.....

1. Forget scanning and bouquets
    2. Forget scanning and bouquets
    3. Forget scanning and bouquets
    4. Reset motor. The TM receivers are brilliant at this.
    5. Send motor to "0"
    6. Install channel list on E2 receiver
    7. Configure tuner for USALS
    8. Select a service on a chosen satellite. Somewhere near middle of arc
    9. Tweak dish assembly to get best signal
    10. Select another service on another chosen satellite on western extremity
    11. Tweak dish assembly to get best signal
    12. Select another service on another chosen satellite on eastern extremity
    13. Tweak dish assembly to get best signal

As you dish follows the arc, it should be simple

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnet View Post
    Ah-ha - got it! Thanks.

Plan on tryng to work out the offset over the weekend. Think it might be worth the extra time spent to get USALS working. It may be that the TM box thinks it's in UK and the default coordinates on the GB are Germany, so tweak those back bit by bit as a start.

Keep you posted!
    Just a thought goldenet, try setting your Longitude to 000.000 WEST but keep the LATITUDE to the correct setting in USALS.

This is what I had to do when my dish was set up wrongly by my installer. Might be the same problem and not that much of a pain in the arse so long as you remember for the next time. It's an obvious mistake when setting up motorised dishes but an easy one to correct.

This might be your offset.

Hope this helps.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micscave For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-01-19),goldnet (04-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micscave View Post
    Just a thought goldenet, try setting your Longitude to 000.000 WEST but keep the LATITUDE to the correct setting in USALS.

This is what I had to do when my dish was set up wrongly by my installer. Might be the same problem and not that much of a pain in the arse so long as you remember for the next time. It's an obvious mistake when setting up motorised dishes but an easy one to correct.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Abu

OK - I'll try that - otherwise I'll try the Lat/Long that the TM has in the USALS setup.

I was going to ask in your step "4. Reset motor" whether this meant a reset via the TM box or the pinhole physical reset on the TM motor box outside. Again, as the dish tracks perfectly on the TM, I'd rather not to anything to lose that ability, rather reproduce workability on the GB...

I have a dual feed from the LNB, one cable through the motor, one direct, so I can have a connection to each receiver to cross-check services/channels and confirm which satellite I am pointed at. I used this facility to record onto both boxes (as I haven't yet looked into the FBC tuners!)

Title
    Thanks
    You would configure the FBC tuners same as standard ones, i.e to match what is attached to them.

If you connect both cables to the Gigablue, one would be simple, single, motorised. The other one would be 2nd cable of motorised dish.

don't reset the motor for now.

Title
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by micscave View Post

That was exactly what it was Abu!

I got the TM box working on USALs (rather than Diseqc) by adjusting the Longitude down incrementally until the dish no longer moved and signal stayed strong (at its 'correct' Thor position) when I hit Go to Position. The sweet spot was indeed 0 deg.

So can I confirm this means that the installer positioned the correct arc on the dish/motor without making an initial adjustment for the correct longitude? He's coming back to tidy up the cabling next week - is this a simple thing for him to do or, now the GB box is working, do I just let it ride?

The VHannibal Dec Settings all seem to work fine and I can edit the file to suit myself once I become more familiar with everyday use of the box and editor.

Thanks SO much for your patient guidance on this...

Title
    Thanks
    It is a simple thing to do. Best you get it set correctly if he is coming back

Your hardware setup is as pictured below.

Title
    Thanks
    Don't forget to thank micsave

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

micscave (05-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    It is a simple thing to do. Best you get it set correctly if he is coming back
    I thanked micsave (hadn't spotted it was another user from yourself).

I'll ask my engineer about the USALS reset.

Trying out couple of settings lists atm and familiarising myself with the interface of the new kit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to goldnet For This Useful Post:

micscave (05-01-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As far as Vhannibals settings is concerned, I use this but have it set to manually update and not auto.

I then use ABM and have that set to remember other settings so that it doesn’t wipe out Vhannibals settings and in my case have (Sky / Virgin) ABM always on top.

If you let Vhannibals auto update it’ll wipe out your ABM settings every time. You can set it not to but it’s a bit of a faff I find. Run it once or twice a week and if it needs updating then .et it do it’s thing and then re run ABM straight after.

Just wondering if your installer was my installer also seeing as it’s the same mistake, what part of the country are you in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast