Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: 4TB hard drive for new sat box

Ojustaboo

4TB hard drive for new sat box

4TB 2.5 drives are all in the £135 price range.

But the 2.5 external 4TB are around 95. I presume I can buy the external, take the drive out and put it in my new sat box?

http://SEAGATE Backup Plus Portable ... - 4 TB, Black

thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    4TB 2.5 drives are all in the £135 price range.

But the 2.5 external 4TB are around 95. I presume I can buy the external, take the drive out and put it in my new sat box?

http://SEAGATE Backup Plus Portable ... - 4 TB, Black

thanks
    I am always suspicious of external drives - manufacturers have a habit of using older spec HDD'S in these boxes!! Check the specs - not that you are going to push the HDD very hard in an E2 receiver.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There is teardown of a Seagate 5T Backup Plus at

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn73Hw2Vz0
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Thanks, I just queried with scan if they knew the difference in the actual drive models. They also said the externals are slower drives, but if I'm using it in a sat box it should be fine. They then added that if I did go through that root, and had any problem with the drive, it wouldn't be covered by their warranty, which is a very good point that I hadn't considered.

I've also had a few problems with Seagate drives over the years (never with any other brand), and as I can only find Seagate, 4TB, I think I might get another make 2TB, and if needed add an external drive at some point.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Some external drives have different sata connectors to internal ones.
    This is a WD 500gb

WD500.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I dont use external portable hdd but externally powered desktop Toshiba ones of 2tb without issues.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Ordered a 2 TB Toshiba drive.

At the same time I ordered a load of SSD'd for my desktop PC so I can finally remove the last 2 mechanical hard drives (3.5"). As one of those is 4TB, (partitioned into numerous drives) I also ordered a usb3 enclosure to put it on. So I should have a ton of spare space if I need it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    Ordered a 2 TB Toshiba drive.

At the same time I ordered a load of SSD'd for my desktop PC so I can finally remove the last 2 mechanical hard drives (3.5"). As one of those is 4TB, (partitioned into numerous drives) I also ordered a usb3 enclosure to put it on. So I should have a ton of spare space if I need it
    Just bear in mind that a USB link from a E2 box may/will not be able supply enough power for a external drive for reliable operation especially when using an older drive that is more power hungry. It is recommended that if the caddy comes with its own external power supply - always use it.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Using a Seagate backup plus or other external drive sounds a idea, but I have a Solo4K, I guess the drive would be to thick to slide into the HDD rear slot? Don't really want to be drastic and be cutting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerboa For This Useful Post:

deltec (04-06-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I would suggest a samsong sad h/D