Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HDMI cables

Ojustaboo

HDMI cables

Hi, got a new Gigablue UHD UE 4k on its way to me from WOS

Also just got a 4K TV

5 quick questions

1) Does the Sat box come with an HDMI cable

2) Is the internet saying I need to buy a new hdmi cable to do 4k as my existing one isn't up to it, a simple marketing ploy and my existing one would work fine?

3) Can I put an SSD into the UHD UE 4k?

4) what's the biggest HD I can put into it?

and finally, is there a manual I can download (will probably find all needed info in that if there is)?

I could wait until probably Tuesday to find out, but would like to order anything that's needed to be here by then

Many thanks
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 08-12-18 at 23:52.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    2) Is the internet saying I need to buy a new hdmi cable to do 4k as my existing one isn't up to it, a simple marketing ploy and my existing one would work fine?
    There have been various versions of HDMI over the years to cope with ever increasing data rates so you need to have one specified for Version 2.xx for reliable 4k operation
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison
    however you don't need to spend silly money. I recently purchased a 1 metre HDMI V2.0 cable for £2.50 (2.50 GBP). Guide price: don't spend more than around a fiver, even for ones with gold plated connectors (assuming a sensible length of around 1 metre).

3) Can I put an SSD into the UHD UE 4k?
    You are probably better off with a traditional hard disk of 2Tera bytes or greater. Broadcast HD TV is approx 1.5 to 2G bytes per hour. You don't need high performance disks in a PVR so something with a slow spin speed and a slower read/write acess time will reduce any noise and run cooler. 2.5" disks fitted to laptops are suitable. One thing to take into consideration - check the physical size of the drive that can be fitted. 2.5" drives of 2T Bytes and below are 7 or 9mm high but 3, 4 or 5T could be 15mm high.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    For info, WOS has just got back to me, there's about 30mm height from where the HDD fits to the top of the case, hence you can put the biggest 2.5" HDD you can find.

They also have 4k 1.5m HDMI cables for only £2.95, so I added 4 to my order

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (12-12-18)