Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: unicable question

Ojustaboo

unicable question

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Unicable LNBs and motorised dishes
    A Unicable LNB is a technology which allows multiple users (or multiple tuners) to access satellite broadcasts over a single coaxial cable and eliminates the need for the numerous cables required by a conventional system. In order to satisfy all users of the system the dish must remain permanently orientated to the one satellite that all the users wish to receive programing from. If the dish were to move from its permanent orientation this would disturb the viewing of all users of the system.

A motorised dish, on the other hand, allows a single user to orientate the dish at will and access broadcasts from many satellites right across the geostationary arc. Because he is the sole user of the system the continual reorientation of the dish as he moves from one satellite to another will not disturb the viewing of other users as there aren't any.

Trying to mix these two technologies will only end up producing unsatisfactory results. When multiple users (or multiple tuners) need to access more than one satellite the correct hardware to use is a permanently orientated dish with multiple LNBs or multiple dishes. This will ensure the viewing of one user does not disturb the viewing of other users of the system and also zapping will be instantaneous. This multi-sat system may use specially programmed Unicable LNBs and can still be delivered to multiple users over a single coaxial cable.
    Thanks.

I have a 80cm motorised dish, although 99% of the time it stays on 28.2, I'm trying to learn German (at beginning stage) and having access to 19.2 to practise with, would be a bonus.

I have 3 cables coming from the lnb to the TV at present. Would I be better off bypassing my motor altogether and using two Unicable lnbs on one of those multi lnbs brackets, and buying an extra tuner for my new box?
    Edit: I see this isn't possible as only the Ultimo can have extra FBC tuners, so going this route I could simply use my existing lnb on the bracket pointing to 19.2 and plug that cable into my TV set, that saves me a bit of cash too

Or can I make do with leaving the motor in, just the one unicable lnb and moving the dish on the few occasions I want to access 19.2, it wont be when anyone else is in the house.

In other words, presuming I'm a single user, I can still use the motor with Unicable? I think it says I can, just want to double check.
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 02-12-18 at 19:20.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Sorry, moved your question to own thread. I will update guide if unclear

As stated in the guide, FBC tuners are one thing, Unicable LNBs are anther. DO not associate the two, the are independent. You can use a universal LNB that is on a motorised dish with FBC tuners. Ultimo 4k also takes a "normal tuner"

Draw a diagram of the three cables please. Interested in the dish/LNB end

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    One not at all to scale drawing.

I had to replace my living room floor a few years ago, while it was up, I routed all the cables under it. I have three coming out of the wall behind my TV/sat box (tuner A, B and C).

I also have a fourth one coming out behind my PC that is no longer used (I used to have a sat tv card in my PC ), but it's still connected to the LNB.

sat1.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Those other cables are "second cable of motorised LNB". Unicable is not designed for motorised setups.

Can you install another dish for 28.2? If not, multi LNB setup is an option.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Are you able to consider installing a 65cm mesh dish with the Unicable LNB? That way Tuner A can be set to Astra 28.2. Tuner B positioner selecting satellites that you use excluding Astra 28.2. The remaining FBC tuners can be linked to Astra 28.2.

If possible use the 2nd cable from motor motor for the 65cm mesh dish with unicable lnb.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Thanks both of you.

As it happens, i have a nice galvanised wall bracket on the side of my house where the dish used to be before it was motorised. I moved it to its own(scaffold) pole when motorised so it didn't hit wall of house.

Please bear with me while I double check all this (I know i'm being a little thick).

1) Gigablue 4k UHD UE FBC box.

2) New dish for wall of house (want about 80cm, sky dish always cut out in rain, my Triax dish (think its 78cm) hardly ever does. Any benefit to mesh, current one is solid?

3) Unicable LNB to go on new dish https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...e-II-24scr-lnb

4) 4 way splitter https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...cable-splitter At the price, might as well get a 4 way rather than two in case things change in the future

5) Spare tuner for Gigablue, either single or twin DVB-S/S2/S2X tuner. (I presume this is needed for the motorised dish, so that the non motorised 28.2 cable has two tuners hence wont go blank when ABM or Crossepg are running)

And do the following.

1) New dish set to 28.2 with Unicable LNB, cable to back of TV stand, into 4 way splitter.
    2) Two cables from splitter into tuner A and tuner B )
    3) Existing cable (or cables) coming from existing LNB on motorised dish into tuner C (and if I buy the twin tuner, also into tuner D)

Anything I've forgotten?

Many thanks

Ojustaboo
    I think that's right. I've gone ahead and ordered from sponsor

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry about late reply, you did not need to get an additional tuner to make use of motorised dish. You could have you used the second physical connection of the FBC tuner. Anyway, the additional tuner will allow you to also use second cable of motorised.

Only advantages of mesh dish is that it is lighter and allows wind through. Solid is better for reception.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Ojustaboo
    Thanks. In the original thread you said that to get ABM to work I needed cables to both tuner else the screen will go blank when ABM etc runs.

My thought process was, I would have both tuners if one was my fixed dish and one was my motorised, so ABM/crossepg should would work anyway. However, if motorised dish isn't pointing to 28.2, but we're watching 28.2, if crossepg or ABM ran under that specific condition, as only one cable is going to the 28.2 LNB, ABM/crossepg would need to use this to get the freesat etc listings down, hence the tv pic would cut out.

While true ABM runs once a day at around 7am and crossepg at something like 7:30 am, my wife has the TV on then before work, hence it could have become an issue.

Obviously I have a lot to learn Still a spare tuner does no harm as you say.

Just got a Sony XF9005 TV to go with my new sat box Next week is going to be a great week