Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Change recording format?

Title
    Thanks

Change recording format?

Hi All.
    New HD51 user here running OpenVix. Been enjoying playing around with it, and nice to have PVR functionality that I didn't have before! I'm loving Webif as well. Such a cool feature to have.

Looking at the media recordings folder, I see the files are around 8GB .ts format. I was wondering, since the device supports HEVC, is it possible to record the files in X265 (or H265)? Then they'd be smaller and the hard drive would hold more.

So far I've only loaded Picicons and a Kodi plugin (which doesn't play the majority of my files since it doesn't use the Kodi player).
    What other good plugins are there, and what do they do? Is there a directory of available plugins with descriptions somewhere online? Right now I just have 1 dish at 28.2E. Looking to get a multiLNB setup on a larger dish in the future :-)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    all Enigma boxes record in the original format which comes from sat or cable. Direct recording in a different format is not possible. What is possible is offline reencoding with a script and cron but this is a but avanced.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpr View Post
    Then they'd be smaller and the hard drive would hold more.
    Is your drive nearly full? Anywhere near full?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Is your drive nearly full? Anywhere near full?
    No, still got lots of space. Was just wondering about direct recording in HEVC so as no transcoding needed for archiving.
    I can always run Handbrake on whatever I want to keep.

Thanks for the answer!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpr View Post
    No, still got lots of space. Was just wondering about direct recording in HEVC so as no transcoding needed for archiving.
    Instead you'd need transcoding for every recording - in real time.
    As has been said, the box stores the broadcast stream as is.
    So for DVB-T it is mpeg, while for DVB-T2 it is mp4/h.264.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD